organic food (aka luke cummo diet)

Terumo said:
My local sushi hangout has Ichiban on tap. Is it just me, or is Kirin really bad at bottling? The bottles taste like a completely different drink. It's like all of the body and flavor is gone--the only note of remaining character is the hoppiness. Sapporo, however, is almost impossible to discern tap from bottle. Who knows...

Sorry for the O/T.

hmm.. how many bottles have u encountered? enough to make that observation?.. cuz i haven't had it on tap yet.. i just find it really smooth and it goes so well with food especially sushi :wink:

supersudo said:
hmm.. how many bottles have u encountered? enough to make that observation?.. cuz i haven't had it on tap yet.. i just find it really smooth and it goes so well with food especially sushi :wink:

How many bottles? A few dozen. At one time, I really liked it. But like you said, it goes down easily. I have found that I prefer beers with more body. I want a beer that reaches up and punches me in the face while screaming, "You are drinking a MAN'S BEER! Alcohol, motherfucker!!!"

Stone's IPA, Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Chimay Blue or White, Dogfishhead, Sam Smith's Imperial Stout, Guinness, Flying Dog's Horn Dog. Yes sir.

Cummo eats mostly vegetables. More of a vegetarian diet, not organic. He made reference to the fact that eating less red meat helps speed his recovery etc.

Raw or Organic Food is great. If raw, need to be organic. Problem is that people think organic or healthy, they automatically think "Vegeratrain" for somre reason??? Vegans are not the healthiest people by far. Balance is best. I ship in my raw dairy from Texas and Calf and grass fed meat from Montana. I buy organic grain, eggs and butter. Dam right its expensive. I am lucky to be able to be shit for myself, buts its worth it in the long run. You are what you eat.

If one cannot afford lots of foods organic. Look at what you eat the most and buy that organic. Stressing over it to much can kill yeah too. Now a days its not always what you eat in terms of OK, its meat or vegs, its whats in it or how the animal is raised is just as important.

MiccsMartialArt said:
Cummo eats mostly vegetables. More of a vegetarian diet, not organic. He made reference to the fact that eating less red meat helps speed his recovery etc.

Organic products appear to be Luke's primary concern. He just doesn't like red meat. Contrary to how the show makes Luke out, he's not a Vegiterian.
Luke said:
I like to get my protein from fish, chicken, turkey (organic), and vegetable sources like beans, legumes, and nuts.

The more organic food you eat the better off you will be. I would buy alot more if it werent for money.

Lots of good ideas in this thread... Here's a few more to chew on

Some of the stuff they feed cows in "commercial" beef (ie, anything from a supermarket) would absolutely make you wretch... they grind up entire cow carcasses (yes the bones too) if it didnt make it to the store shelf they and stuff it right back into the calves. We all know about the gross amounts of steroids and hormones they pump into them. Don't even get me started on why eating veal is about the most repulsive thing you could ask me to do.

So where do you start? I say go to your local farmers market (rather than the organic food store)and ask the beef guys about their business. How many head they have, what they feed them in the winter, if they have a pasture to graze or are confined, if you can go out to his farm/ranch/land and make purchases there.... just try to get a feel for him and his operation, a good producer will be able to back up all of his claims.

Then once you have an "in" with a producer is where you can start to save a bunch of money on ALL your protein. Ask about buying a side of beef or the whole damn cow. Ask him where he gets his eggs from (more than likely he knows several.) Go to the egg lady and see if you can haggle her down a few cents a carton if you buy 3 dozen at a time. Ask her if she sells any produce (and so on and so on...)

I challenge you all to make 2 small comparisons for me: buy a pound of (lean) ground beef at the supermarket, crack it open, and take a whiff - probably not very much aroma. Go get a pound of beef from your farmers market and *WHEW* when you open it the whole kitchen smells like silage!! Then my favorite one to show people is comparing the egg yolks of a grain fed free range hen to a commercial egg... you think your eggs-over-easy tasted good before wait till you dip into one of these guys and that ORANGE yolk pours out add a little salt mmmm best bedtime snack.

If you cant afford to eat ALL organic i'd start with brocolli(large surface area), organic lettuce is fairly plentiful which means usually fairly cheap, sweet potatoes/yams same deal, bananas usually get heavily marked down near the end of their life-cycle (brown bananas taste better in your protein shake anyway).

Seriously guys, if you take the time to do the footwork(it can be as little as 1 saturday morning) it pays huge dividends. Consider investing in a small freezer (assuming you only have a small one on top of ya fridge) so you can store more raw food/mass-produced(by you)meals. On top of this you are supporting a hard-working family business while getting top-notch nutrition as well!

I think a Kosher label at grocery store is better than an organic label.
The post above me is great though

MT420MT said:
I think a Kosher label at grocery store is better than an organic label.

Second this - also look for Halal food (basically same guidelines as kosher?) - they got some killer tandoori chicken!!!!!!:icon_twis

eljamaiquino said:
No-one eats raw poultry, I hope! Salmonella is a bitch!!!
...Raw meat, bad. :(

Terumo said:
Sashimi excluded, I presume?

True story:
I was out for yakitori and beers with my co-workers when I was living in Japan...the chicken gets there and it's, like, seriously underdone...I spat it out, and explained why...they were all like "no, no...he's famous for rare yakitori...house specialty..."

long story short, 4-5 beers later, I'm downing chicken sashimi...a taste sensation, lemme tell ya'...

Back