• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oppenheimer and Trinitite

San Marino

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A big buzz recently over the new movie 'Oppenheimer.' I have not seen it but know the whole story. I never really cared much for the man and more about how the 1st bomb was developed. The test bomb (the gadget) exploded in the New Mexico desert - Trinity site. A plutonium (Pu-239) bomb, not Uranium (U-235). Implosion method. Plutonium is actually a man-made element from Uranium. Both of these elements are highly unstable, hence their use in nuclear weapons. Pu-239 is actually warm to the touch and emits alpha and gamma radiation. Gamma radiation affects your DNA and cell formation in the human body. High doses are deadly.
nuclear_fission.gif

Uranium will, after thousands of years, eventually end up as lead:
Decay+Series+of+Uranium-238.jpg

...but I wanted to talk about Trinitite. This is the compound that was left on the desert floor after the explosion. It was first blown upward, melted, and rained down on the desert after cooling. Melted desert sand and it looks like this:
75b2524e56e3427c1ec2409cb0be50f8.jpg

Some samples actually contain vaporized residue from the tower and bomb. Iron and copper (red). These are very rare and very expensive:
PNAS-MS2021-01350PRR_Figure-1_lower-0.jpg

Trinitite can be purchased legally. The US government no longer allows people to take samples from the site. The area was bulldozed and buried by the United States Atomic Energy Commission in 1953. All Trinitite for sale today was gathered before that date. You can purchase it here. I'm sure it is now a hot item and prices have gone up:
. Trinitite : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies, United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
. Trinitite Atomite Alamogordo Glass Trinity (sciencemall-usa.com)
You cannot sell, purchase or own Plutonium. You can however sell, purchase and own U-238 (Uranium) - depleted Uranium from nuclear powerplants. This stuff is safe to handle as long as you don't eat it or inhale the dust. I myself have a few samples of it. Trinitite too. You can purchase Uranium here:
. Uranium (U) : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies, United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
. Uranium metal 99.9% depleted U238 — Luciteria
Uranium+%283%29.JPG

The Trinity test site today:
Trinity-Site-Marker.jpg

Ground-Zero-Trinity-Test-Site-Crop.jpg

Last edited:
You can build your own bomb (Plutonium) with the right materials and knowing the right proportions. o_O You do have to figure out how far the explosives have to be from the nucleus of the bomb -- The explosion symmetrically compressed the Plutonium to twice its normal density before the "Urchin" added free neutrons to initiate a fission chain reaction:
  • An exploding-bridgewire detonator simultaneously starts a detonation wave in each of the 32 tapered high-explosive columns (positioned around the explosive material at the face centers of a truncated icosahedron, a geometry popularly known from the pattern of common soccer balls).
  • The detonation wave (arrows) is initially convex in the...
  • ...faster explosive (Composition B: 60% RDX, 40% TNT). The wavefronts become concave in the...
  • ...slower explosive (Baratol: 70% barium nitrate, 30% TNT). The 32 waves then merge into a single spherical implosive shock-wave which hits the...
  • ...inner charges' faster explosive (Composition B).
  • The medium-density aluminum "pusher" transfers the imploding shock-wave from the low-density explosive to the high-density uranium, minimizing undesirable turbulence. The shock-wave then compresses the inner components, passing through a...
  • ...boron-plastic shell intended to prevent pre-detonation of the bomb by stray neutrons. The shock-wave reaches the center of the bomb, where the...
  • ...beryllium210Po "Urchin" is crushed, pushing the two metals together and thereby releasing a burst of neutrons into the compressed...
  • ...pit of the nickel-plated delta-phase alloy of 239Pu240Pugallium (96%–1%–3% by molarity). A fission chain reaction then begins. The tendency of the fissioning pit to blow itself apart prematurely is reduced by the inward momentum of the...
  • ...natural-uranium "tamper" (inertial confinement). The tamper also reflects neutrons back into the pit, accelerating the chain reaction. If and when sufficient fast neutrons are produced, the tamper itself undergoes fission, accounting for up to 30% of the weapon's yield.
The result was the fission of about 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) of the 6.19 kilograms (13.6 lb) of Plutonium in the pit, i.e. of about 16% of the fissile material present. The detonation released the energy equivalent to the detonation of 21 kilotons of TNT or 88 terajoules. About 30% of the yield came from fission of the uranium tamper.
Fat_Man_Internal_Components.png

aZDBj3z_460s.jpg

Last edited:
You can build your own bomb (Plutonium) with the right materials and knowing the right proportions. o_O You do have to figure out how far the explosives have to be from the nucleus of the bomb -- The explosion symmetrically compressed the Plutonium to twice its normal density before the "Urchin" added free neutrons to initiate a fission chain reaction:
  • An exploding-bridgewire detonator simultaneously starts a detonation wave in each of the 32 tapered high-explosive columns (positioned around the explosive material at the face centers of a truncated icosahedron, a geometry popularly known from the pattern of common soccer balls).
  • The detonation wave (arrows) is initially convex in the...
  • ...faster explosive (Composition B: 60% RDX, 40% TNT). The wavefronts become concave in the...
  • ...slower explosive (Baratol: 70% barium nitrate, 30% TNT). The 32 waves then merge into a single spherical implosive shock-wave which hits the...
  • ...inner charges' faster explosive (Composition B).
  • The medium-density aluminum "pusher" transfers the imploding shock-wave from the low-density explosive to the high-density uranium, minimizing undesirable turbulence. The shock-wave then compresses the inner components, passing through a...
  • ...boron-plastic shell intended to prevent pre-detonation of the bomb by stray neutrons. The shock-wave reaches the center of the bomb, where the...
  • ...beryllium210Po "Urchin" is crushed, pushing the two metals together and thereby releasing a burst of neutrons into the compressed...
  • ...pit of the nickel-plated delta-phase alloy of 239Pu240Pugallium (96%–1%–3% by molarity). A fission chain reaction then begins. The tendency of the fissioning pit to blow itself apart prematurely is reduced by the inward momentum of the...
  • ...natural-uranium "tamper" (inertial confinement). The tamper also reflects neutrons back into the pit, accelerating the chain reaction. If and when sufficient fast neutrons are produced, the tamper itself undergoes fission, accounting for up to 30% of the weapon's yield.
The result was the fission of about 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) of the 6.19 kilograms (13.6 lb) of Plutonium in the pit, i.e. of about 16% of the fissile material present. The detonation released the energy equivalent to the detonation of 21 kilotons of TNT or 88 terajoules. About 30% of the yield came from fission of the uranium tamper.
Fat_Man_Internal_Components.png

aZDBj3z_460s.jpg
The machining on those tapered icosahedron segments must have been very hard to achieve without cnc.
Would've loved to see the Los Alamos workshop. Or were the mechanical aspects built in civilian factories?

The machining on those tapered icosahedron segments must have been very hard to achieve without cnc. Would've loved to see the Los Alamos workshop. Or were the mechanical aspects built in civilian factories?
I believe most of the Plutonium was manufactured and machined at the T-221 Hanford Site in southeastern Washington state.
Hanford_Unit_Picture-Enhanced_800x.jpg

That yellow color in the shield glass is due to a high concentration of lead-oxide (up to 70%), which blocks blue and near-UV spectral frequencies. You can now buy large and small chunks of it as memorabilia.
mpsdesk-MAIN-005_74bf9678-1829-4c9d-a75d-4b31982927af_1200x.jpg

Last edited:
The machining on those tapered icosahedron segments must have been very hard to achieve without cnc. Would've loved to see the Los Alamos workshop. Or were the mechanical aspects built in civilian factories?
You are right. The explosive lenses (tapered icosahedron segments) were made in Los Alamos. One of the greatest challenges for the Los Alamos scientists and engineers was developing and refining the explosive lenses for the implosion bomb. As George Kistiakowsky describes: "In order to achieve the spherical implosion shockwave, all the explosive lenses needed to ignite at the same time, which is why the detonators needed to fire simultaneously." Standard rectangular blocks of explosive material were cut into the shape of a five- or six-sided pyramid with its tip cut off. In his interview, Kistiakowsky explained that “all of these lenses surrounded the tamper, and the tamper mainly served as a reflector for neutrons so that they go back.” Detonators and Spark Switches was a whole different concept to get this bomb to go off just right.
Implosion_bomb_animated.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
The same Plutonium atom bomb (the 'gadget' or fat man) is later used to set off the first hydrogen bomb - Ivy Mike. We go from 25 kilotons in 1945 to 10.4 megatons in 1952.

You are right. The explosive lenses (tapered icosahedron segments) were made in Los Alamos. One of the greatest challenges for the Los Alamos scientists and engineers was developing and refining the explosive lenses for the implosion bomb. As George Kistiakowsky describes: "In order to achieve the spherical implosion shockwave, all the explosive lenses needed to ignite at the same time, which is why the detonators needed to fire simultaneously." Standard rectangular blocks of explosive material were cut into the shape of a five- or six-sided pyramid with its tip cut off. In his interview, Kistiakowsky explained that “all of these lenses surrounded the tamper, and the tamper mainly served as a reflector for neutrons so that they go back.” Detonators and Spark Switches was a whole different concept to get this bomb to go off just right.
Implosion_bomb_animated.gif

hqdefault.jpg
They must've been hand finished. So Many matching and mating surfaces. Very impressive handiwork

Thanks for the info this is all very interesting

They must've been hand finished. So many matching and mating surfaces. Very impressive handiwork. Thanks for the info this is all very interesting.
A lot of technical pieces that must work together in unison to make the final explosion work. Very advanced for 1945. Most calculations were done with a slide rule.
explosive%20lens%20assembly%201024%20C.jpg

explosive%20lens%202%201024%20C.jpg

For those too young to remember. This is what engineers used before the calculator. This also applied to putting a man on the moon in 1969. Electronic calculators did not really become a thing until the 1970s. I think NASA had more of a challenge than Oppenheimer and his team had.
1200px-Keuffel_and_Esser-Model_4181-1_Log_log_Duplex_Decitrig_slide_rule-IMG_5821-white_%28cropped%29.jpg

You could, but you'd also need to build a lot of tooling & small parts yourself or you'll end up on a list and get questioned & disappeared. Just as an example, the detonators require extremely high speed switches with certain specs to make it work, these are highly restricted and only sold to large national labs or other such facilities which are doing advanced physics & nuclear work. If I tried to buy them I'd be in for some very unpleasant questioning at best and there's a good chance I'll end up taking a permanent vacation in Gitmo. Same thing with various other key parts which are needed to make a bomb work.

You could, but you'd also need to build a lot of tooling & small parts yourself or you'll end up on a list and get questioned & disappeared. Just as an example, the detonators require extremely high speed switches with certain specs to make it work, these are highly restricted and only sold to large national labs or other such facilities which are doing advanced physics & nuclear work. If I tried to buy them I'd be in for some very unpleasant questioning at best and there's a good chance I'll end up taking a permanent vacation in Gitmo. Same thing with various other key parts which are needed to make a bomb work.
Somewhat. The Spark Gap Switch was originally designed as a photography flash.
. Electronics and Detonators - Nuclear Museum
"In designing the switch, Hornig sought help from the Raytheon Company, a technology company founded by Manhattan Project administrator Vanner Bush. Hornig realized the Raytheon Company’s voltage and capacitator systems could be used with his switch. This technology was originally designed for the Army Air Force's nighttime aerial photography, which needed a powerful flash unit. The Fat Man implosion bomb repurposed this circuitry by swapping out the flash lamp with a detonator."

The implosion method wasn't even Oppenheimer's idea.
...but yes, building a nuclear bomb alone would be nearly impossible. The whole thing would halt at just trying to obtain the right amount of U-235 or Pu-239. That process, in and of itself, is infinitely complicated. I believe you would need approximately 13.5 lb of Plutonium. Getting 1 lb is already very difficult. The material could be stolen. Pakistan has nuclear weapons and is a corrupt country. It has a thriving black market in conventional weapons. Saudi Arabia has already purchased about a dozen nukes from Pakistan. Nukes already mounted on missiles. The missiles remain in Pakistan but are Saudi Arabian property. Kind of like our (US) nuclear missiles in Germany. Also, Israel built their first nuclear bomb with stolen American knowledge and stolen Uranium & Plutonium from US nuclear powerplants in the mid 1970s.

Last edited:
Wow you are really into this.
Yes, I find it fascinating, but most people don't. :(
Nuclear weapons and NASA's program to the moon - the Saturn V rocket. Not something most people can benefit from, relate to, or use.
The internet, Windows 95, and now the smart phone are inventions that the general public can use.

Yes, I find it fascinating, but most people don't. :(
Nuclear weapons and NASA's program to the moon. Not something most people can benefit from, relate to, or use.
The internet, Windows 95, and now the smart phone are inventions that the general public can use.

I guess it's complicated information. It goes over most people's heads. Well it does for me. lol

I guess it's complicated information. It goes over most people's heads. Well it does for me. lol
Well, I was never the brightest crayon in the box. I did poorly in math, chemistry, biology and physics. I have my BA in Psychology. Physics has always fascinated me, and I read a lot about it. At my age I now have a rudimentary knowledge of it. If you read enough on the subject, it begins to make sense. You don't need a high IQ either. The bomb was a problem that had a lot of bright minds working on it. The majority did not believe it would work but they too were fascinated by the possibilities. Many came to regret their association with the project at the end. The problem with very bright people is that they have little common sense. You do need that to survive in life more than brains.

Last edited:
Well, I was never the brightest crayon in the box. I did poorly in math, chemistry, biology and physics. I have my BA in Psychology. Physics has always fascinated me, and I read a lot about it. At my age I now have a rudimentary knowledge of it. If you read enough on the subject, it begins to make sense. You don't need a high IQ either. The bomb was a problem that had a lot of bright minds working on it. The majority did not believe it would work but they too were fascinated by the possibilities. Many came to regret their association with the project at the end. The problem with very bright people is that they have very little common sense. You do need that to survive in life more than brains.

Fair enough, my friend. Fair enough.

The same Plutonium atom bomb (the 'gadget' or fat man) is later used to set off the first hydrogen bomb - Ivy Mike. We go from 25 kilotons in 1945 to 10.4 megatons in 1952.

I’ve always found it cool that they literally discovered two new elements in the debris of the Ivy Mike blast. Hydrogen bombs are amazing. It would have been incredible to see Ivy Mike or Castle Bravo’s blasts in person.

Back