Opiates and muscle recovery

B

Brand Nizzle

Quick question. I've been doing some heavy lifting this week, and I am pretty sore, which is a great thing because I haven't been sore in a while. Anyway, I was prescribed some endocets (perc's) for my back pain that I have, and I was going to pop 1 but I wasn't sure if it will counteract with my muscle recovery, since I've been downing my supplements and protein shakes like a mofo. So what do you guys think? I can deal with the pain if it will slow down my muscle recovery, but if it's not going to interfere with it at all, the endocet would be very nice. Thx.

+ How long should I wait to take it after I work out, would it be preferable for my body to wait a while or can I just take it along with the rest of my vitamans

I've often wondered the same.

From what I have gathered, anything that will reduce inflammation will hinder muscle recovery. But I'm not sure about that.

Soma > Percs

Chad Hamilton said:
Soma > Percs

Is this the fictional drug from Brave New World or is there something out there on the street now called Soma?

My apologies if this was a joke. :redface:

haha no problem. Somas are a type of muscle relaxers (sp).

Here we go...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9321868&dopt=Abstract

Department of Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset 11030, USA.

We determined the dose-dependent effects of central mu-opioid receptor stimulation on rates of tissue protein synthesis. Chronically catheterized conscious rats received an intracerebroventricular injection of [D-Ala2, N-Me-Phe4,Gly5-ol]enkephalin (DAGO, 0.5, 2, or 8 nmol/rat) or water (5 microliters) 45 min before determination of protein synthesis by the flooding dose technique. DAGO produced a significant decrease in tissue protein synthesis in liver (57%), spleen (54%), gut mucosa (36%), gut serosa (23%), kidney (48%), gastrocnemius (33%), and plantaris muscle (27%), but it did not alter rates of protein synthesis in the brain, heart, and soleus muscle. DAGO produced an acute dose-dependent respiratory depression 30 min after intracerebroventricular injection; this depression resulted in acidosis, hypoxia, and hypercapnia (pH 7.19 +/- 0.04, arterial partial O2, pressure 44.2 +/- 3.4 Torr, arterial O2 saturation 65.3 +/- 5.5%, and PCO2 66.3 +/- 4.4 Torr). Intracerebroventricular DAGO increased circulating levels of catecholamines, corticosterone, and growth hormone but did not alter those of insulin and insulin-like growth factor I. Significant positive correlations between protein synthesis and pH were observed in the tissues studied (i.e., liver protein synthesis vs. pH, P < 0.0001, r = 0.902; gastrocnemius protein synthesis vs. pH, P < 0.0001, r = 0.830). Our results indicate that mu-receptor stimulation inhibits tissue protein synthesis, and this effect appears to be secondary to respiratory depression and the resulting acidosis and/or hypoxia. Furthermore, our findings suggest differential sensitivity in tissue response to alterations in pH, hypoxia, and stress hormone elevation.

Now, if I read that study/expirement correctly, than opiates hinder protein synthesis a lot. Someone else read and tell me if I understood it correctly

From my skimming of the abstract you did interpreted it correctly. I haven't done a lot of research into this, but I have read that many NSAIDS and the such mask the exact stimulus that is needed for muscle growth. There are many things, including a large immune response to exercise. So, if you take these things away, you will not get what you want.

Hypothetically if they had a drug that made DOMS and minute muscle tears not possible, we would never be sore. But, without that we would never get stronger.

The next thing is how much are you inhibiting muscle recovery? Since you seem to not need the pills I would say that it would be worth not taking them. But, I would prefer pills for 3 weeks if I had a lot of pain, than 3 weeks of muscle building.

Back