Open hand VS closed fist

I am intrigued but, if open hand is so much better why don't wee see it in cage fights?

Isn't that where most of these things work themselves out?

Simple. two reason 1) the tape wrap makes the wrist very stiff, 2) palm strikes make it to easy to stick a finger in your opponents eye which will get you a DQ. If you look though you will see some open hand work in MMA. There was a double palm being used on A.Silva in his last fight for example.

I've never thought about palm strikes much, I always figured that oince you have conditioned your knuckles it's always superior to just use them, for damage potential.

Maybe worth investigating, I'l try sparring with some open palm stikes just for the lols later on tonight :)

I often spar with an open hand anyway becuase of my wrestling training, It's easier to counter attack and grapple/clinch that way (you can always just close fist midway through your strike afterall)

If your going to use them remember to shorten you strike distance. Good straight palm distance is a bit outside good hook/uppercut range. Palm hooks/uppercuts are at the same range as with a fist.

cause slapping is for bitches

against a average joe... you dont need to punch with full force. just touch him in the jaw and you wont break your hand. of course freak accidents can happen... but its more effective than bitch slapping someone

sucker punching someone is considered dirty..... sucker slapping someone is considered HILARIOUS!! haha

thats probably the only time i would open palm someone... if they disrespect me and i wanna shut them up.

My hold boxing coach always said that palm striker are slower than punches due to the higher surface area causing more air resistance, but IMO this would be negligible. Though odly in karate we are taught to through them like fists and just open our hands before impact.
P.S. Palm strikes are badass.
This video also includes a analis of a palm strike vs a punch
YouTube - Street Fight Tips- Learn to Fight- Real CCTV "Double KO in Bar" (head butt + right cross) Footage Analysed part 2- Real Street Punching with Target Guidance- Palm Strike vs Fist Bare Knuckle Punch
Palm strike KO.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

to be fair, there are some downsides of striking with an open hand as well, mainly that you might break your fingers if somehow your opponents fist/elbow/ face makes contact with them in a bad way. thats not really saying much since so many people break their hands in street fights, i just know my kickboxing coach always tells us to keep our hands closed and hes a legend so i just go by what he says.

The damage is more spread out, and it's easier to get your fingers caught on his clothes or arm and broken

you're not able to cut someone up real bad and look badass.

A full powered overhand hook to the jaw/chin is enough to knock out an untrained person in a street fight

^^^^
Or a good old fashion brass knuckle beatdown....

Although Iam doing karate, I think open palm strikes suck. They are unpractical and they arent as damaging.

unpractical, not when they put you on your ass.

They are only unpractical if they arent trained properly. Most people tend to push or slap with them because they dont practice them against anything besides the air.

Back