Open hand VS closed fist

Godhand13

White Belt
Reaction score
Why don't people use the open hand more during streetfights? You're less likely to break something if you do it properly, and its at least as painful as a regular punch. Am I missing something here?

PS: I mean a strike with the heel of the palm, if anyone is confused.

Because people who street fight usually don't know what they are doing?

If they have some kind of bare knuckle or decent kung fu/karate back ground maybe, but most street fights are 2 untrained people flailing at each other, punching with their fingers and winging haymakers and horrible hammer fists.
:icon_lol:

Haven't seen this thread idea yet.

Open palm heal strikes are bad ass in close. For self defense purposes, those and elbows are the best tools on the inside. Couple them with a straight kick to the knee and you have a self defense arsenal.

Haven't seen this thread idea yet.

Open palm heal strikes are bad ass in close. For self defense purposes, those and elbows are the best tools on the inside. Couple them with a straight kick to the knee and you have a self defense arsenal.

Don't forget the eye gouge for long range.

because conditioned knuckles into the eye socket does more dmg?

how much damage do they cause compared to fist punches? as far as power anyways. would the pancrase style palm strikes be just as effectiv and powerful as if it were with a fist?

Most rbsd still teaches open hand strikes, elbows, knees, and straight kicks along with some sound basic clinching and grappling escapes.

The reason you see fists is because most fighting arts use fists, and also because those that don't know how to fight generally revert to "boxing" that they see on tv and YouTube.

If I must fight in the general public, I'll generally use open hands to the face and fists to the body.

I think from a fence position, there are few attacks that can deliver so much damage as quickly as a straight palm to the face. One, sometimes two, of these following scenarios will happen...

1) You'll miss your target and strike their throat.
2) You'll miss your target and catching their chin with your palm, driving their head backwards.
3) You'll miss your target and drive your fingers into their eyes.
4) You'll miss your target and drive your palm into their nose.
5) You'll miss your target and drive t your palm into their forehead or eyes, driving their head back.
6) You'll totally miss and end up in a collar hold, plum, or grabbing their hair. Allowing you to breakdown their posture or throw them.

This is also a great way to initiate/intercept the ambush, giving you a great oppurtunity to build up momentum.

in lerdrit we use many open hand strikes.
very effective.

Im all for them really but its hard cos u give up a bit of reach and the focal poin of say 1 knuckle is more than the palm, however if you need a sturdier strike to the face area id go

I've never thought about palm strikes much, I always figured that oince you have conditioned your knuckles it's always superior to just use them, for damage potential.

Maybe worth investigating, I'l try sparring with some open palm stikes just for the lols later on tonight :)

I often spar with an open hand anyway becuase of my wrestling training, It's easier to counter attack and grapple/clinch that way (you can always just close fist midway through your strike afterall)

A solid palm heel strike to the forehead is pretty disorienting. Seems like it would be hard to land, if your opponent has any kind of formal training though. Has this move been used in MMA much?

I think I saw Chael using his palms on Anderson's ears.

Lol, watch some Bas Rutten HLs from his pancrase period. They seem to work excellent. Open that is

Palm strike uppercuts are brutal. Also, if you're good at non-telegraphic preemptive strikes, or can get your opponent to lower his guard by faking something to the body, the open-handed haymaker (essentially a slap using the whole arm and hitting with the palm heel) is fucking devastating.

because of the inevitable "THAT *** WAS SLAPPING"

A palm strike is like taking the grip end of a baseball bat and hitting with that on your arm.....

I am intrigued but, if open hand is so much better why don't wee see it in cage fights?

Isn't that where most of these things work themselves out?

:icon_conf

Ummm, because cage fighting is a sport and sports have rules. Besides in most cage fights your hands are wrapped.

Do you walk around with your hands wrapped all day?

:icon_lol:

Back