Economy Ontario gym owner on pandemic impact: 'We can't survive'

I honestly don’t know how any businesses that have had to shut down are going to survive, gyms, hair and nail salons, spas, etc.

My friends in Canada area pissed off because a bunch of people got covid money (CERB I think it's called), except my friends didn't receive anything because they kept working because they are "essential workers".

They felt that everybody should have got the $500 weekly. I think I agree with them. They took the risk, continued working, kept people fed, kept the lights on etc- and they didn't get anything extra. Meanwhile, others stayed at home and got $500 per week- for months.

That's a great big "fuck you" to essential workers.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canad...overseas-family-during-the-pandemic-1.5181159

meanwhile they are CERBing it up in cebu city <JerryWWF>

I hear these kind of stories not just from Gym Owners but Bar/Small restaurants/Cafes as well these COVID-19 restrictions and lockdown measures which had imposed in Ontario and Canada are hurting these kind of businesses.

Does government money/bailouts really help these business and revive economy? the answer is no.
So according to supposed "Health Experts" you can apparently catch covid in the gyms and small business? but not super stores like wall marts?

These lockdowns have to stop. If these lockdowns don't stop there wont be a economy that might help future sports players and trainers.

Ontario gym owner on pandemic impact: 'We can't survive'

90% of restaurants/bars last less than a year before closing even in the best of times. And Gym memberships have been dropping for a good 5 years. They were closing at a record pace before COVID.

https://nypost.com/2016/10/17/millennials-are-killing-gyms-too/

I feel bad for these folks, but this is fucking Darwin. Plenty of restaurants are absolutely fucking killing it right now because they have adapted. They embraced the new normal and figured out pick-ups and deliveries. Gyms should just shut it down, put the equipment in storage, and open up again when it makes economic sense.

I am not opposed to lockdowns if shit gets really bad. They just shut down our amenity center for 2 weeks because 2 people that were there regularly got COVID. 1 has already died. They are contact tracing all the people that were there when they were there.

Businesses will close and others will reopen when shit ramps up again.

My friends in Canada area pissed off because a bunch of people got covid money (CERB I think it's called), except my friends didn't receive anything because they kept working because they are "essential workers".

They felt that everybody should have got the $500 weekly. I think I agree with them. They took the risk, continued working, kept people fed, kept the lights on etc- and they didn't get anything extra. Meanwhile, others stayed at home and got $500 per week- for months.

I agree, essentials should have received SOMETHING. Maybe not the full amount given they had income coming in but some sort of covid hazard pay? Sure

LOL. Right? You can always tell the losers on this forum that don't go to a gym. Going to the gym is cheap and affordable.

I guess that includes @PrinceOfPain. "Derp, get rid of your gym membership and you can afford an expensive apartment. Derp"

Lol. If anyone's complaining about lockdown taking away their toys, I win by default 'cos I own my own toys. So you guys can compare the cost of decades of gym membership to just buying what you need all you want, but you already lost. 'Cos, right now, all the money you spent on membership is wasted. That's almost the very definition of spending too much.

But look, I'd recommend against renting in general.
Apparently, you guys don't like owning things. 'S cool, I guess.
:D

Last edited:
Lol. If anyone's complaining about lockdown taking away their toys, I win by default 'cos I own my own toys. So you guys can compare the cost of decades of gym membership to just buying what you need all you want, but you already lost. 'Cos, right now, all the money you spent on membership is wasted. That's almost the very definition of spending too much.

But look, I'd recommend against renting in general.
Apparently, you guys don't like owning things. 'S cool, I guess.
:D
If I could run on the street I'd agree but I need a high end treadmill to take the impact away. I swim too. Lucky yea I have both at home but for most you're talking 5K for treadmill and 50-100K for pool. Weights are cheap AF though if thats all. Last thing I need is to lift though. I'm naturally thick/buff. Cardio is where it's at.

If I could run on the street I'd agree but I need a high end treadmill to take the impact away. I swim too. Lucky yea I have both at home but for most you're talking 5K for treadmill and 50-100K for pool. Weights are cheap AF though if thats all.

You know, the price of high-end treadmills will probably plummet for a while if all the gyms go out of business :D

I am being a little full of shit, I admit. But I really don't like gyms. They take up an inordinate amount of space, that I think could be put to better purpose (like housing, so that the cost can go down and maybe people can afford to move out of their tiny apartments, and set aside space for an at-home gym.) They're not crazy expensive (most decent medical aid plans here have a gym membership of some sort built in), but I do tend to see them as a waste of money. An effective at-home gym will cost less than a lifetime of gym membership, and an at-home gym isn't subject to problems like a change in the gym's management, a shift in the gym's culture, a laxing of the gym's standards, or a financial crisis befalling the gym.

I have no response to the pool issue. So, I'm just going to smoothly ignore it.

You know, the price of high-end treadmills will probably plummet for a while if all the gyms go out of business :D

I am being a little full of shit, I admit. But I really don't like gyms. They take up an inordinate amount of space, that I think could be put to better purpose (like housing, so that the cost can go down and maybe people can afford to move out of their tiny apartments, and set aside space for an at-home gym.) They're not crazy expensive (most decent medical aid plans here have a gym membership of some sort built in), but I do tend to see them as a waste of money. An effective at-home gym will cost less than a lifetime of gym membership, and an at-home gym isn't subject to problems like a change in the gym's management, a shift in the gym's culture, a laxing of the gym's standards, or a financial crisis befalling the gym.

Only if you're into lifting and thats all do home gyms make sense. If you take full advantage of cardio machines, saunas, jacuzzies, and swimming pools at a gym it's pretty stupid to buy from a financial prospective unless you're well to do.

From my point a view, as someone who doesnt need to lift much but needs lots of cardio to keep resting HR low 50s and feel healthy I think a gym makes sense. It's only in my late 30sI was able to afford same amenities I used at gym.

Only if you're into lifting and thats all do home gyms make sense. If you take full advantage of cardio machines, saunas, jacuzzies, and swimming pools at a gym it's pretty stupid to buy from a financial prospective unless you're well to do.

From my point a view, as someone who doesnt need to lift much but needs lots of cardio to keep resting HR low 50s and feel healthy I think a gym makes sense. It's only in my late 30sI was able to afford same amenities I used at gym.

How many machine do you need to take advantage of to train your cardio?
I have a rope, a heavy bag, and a road for that.
Oh, an an eliptical machine for lazy days. Didn't pay much for that though. I took advantage of someone else's poor spending decisions.

You had a point on the swimming pool. You don't really on saunas and jacuzzis.
I didn't say anyone should shut down day spas and such. I fully understand that the ladies need somewhere to unwind.

I agree, essentials should have received SOMETHING. Maybe not the full amount given they had income coming in but some sort of covid hazard pay? Sure
I didn't apply for the cerb benefits, so not %100 sure, but don't you have to claim it on your taxes?
@Bald1 @TheWorm chime in?

I didn't apply for the cerb benefits, so not %100 sure, but don't you have to claim it on your taxes?
@Bald1 @TheWorm chime in?

CERB is a bit different from EI and I think the jury’s still out on how it will be treated from a tax point of view. EI has income tax deducted from the source, while CERB is not, though the anticipation/expectation is that it will be taxed, and that in the new year any recipients of the payments will receive T4As for the payments and are going to have to pay income tax on the benefits.

Real men don't work out. They just work.

CERB was basically just EI (“employment insurance”, federally regulated unemployment benefits in Canada).

The only difference is that CERB cast a wider net than EI so that people that maybe didn’t qualify for EI such as independent contractors, or people who hadn’t worked at their jobs long enough to qualify for EI, etc. could collect them.

I don’t see any merit or logic to say that everyone should have received the payments regardless of whether they lost their jobs. It was meant for people that were out of work due to the pandemic.

CERB was basically just EI (“employment insurance”, federally regulated unemployment benefits in Canada).

The only difference is that CERB cast a wider net than EI so that people that maybe didn’t qualify for EI such as independent contractors, or people who hadn’t worked at their jobs long enough to qualify for EI, etc. could collect them.

I don’t see any merit or logic to say that everyone should have received the payments regardless of whether they lost their jobs. It was meant for people that were out of work due to the pandemic.

I've been told that many people chose to stay home because they didn't feel safe going to work.

Either way, I don't think they should be handing out money to some and not to others, treat people equally.

Real men don't work out. They just work.

Hard work is body abuse. Trust me I laid hardwood floors 10000 sqft a week as a kid on a 3 man crew. most of those guys still doing it knees are shot have carpel etc at 50

Hard work is body abuse. Trust me I laid hardwood floors 10000 sqft a week as a kid. most of those guys still doing it knees are shot have carpel etc at 50
True brother.

I was a block paver / driveways for 10 years.

I feel bad for these folks, but this is fucking Darwin. Plenty of restaurants are absolutely fucking killing it right now because they have adapted. They embraced the new normal and figured out pick-ups and deliveries. Gyms should just shut it down, put the equipment in storage, and open up again when it makes economic sense.

No one asked for the government to shut down anything. You really think they are doing this to save lives??? Shutting down all these businesses and causing millions to be unemployed? Most of these governors allowed people to protests and riot for months and would barely lift a finger to stop them. Thousands of people gathered together during a pandemic and public health officials say, "it's cool" after shutting down already struggling businesses

All restaurants, gyms, and bars were following all the safety guidelines and restrictions the government has put out. Even though it cut into their business, most tried to maintain just to keep folks employed and put some damn food on the table. What's going to happen exactly when things do "reopen?" COVID will still be waiting for all of us. People think these shutdowns are really preventing vulnerable people from dying? You could still get the common flu and pneumonia. You know, because they haven't actually gone away either

Stop the whole damn world for a year and COVID will still spread and sadly kill the elderly or most vulnerable. I got people that go to my gym way past 60 who are there every week working out. It's their choice at the end of the day if they want to put themselves at risk same as anyone. Locking down states for a virus with a 99.6 survival rate is asinine. This is more political than anything else

True brother.

I was a block paver / driveways for 10 years.
I only did it in summers to pay for school. Good motivation to get As and Bs lol. But seriously I made more per week than I do now 30 years later as an accountant.
We did up to 10000 sqft a week @2.50/ft split 3 ways.

Gyms are in commercial spaces not residential. So if you want bigger cheaper housing move where its cheaper and bigger, or just earn more money.

Welp... an hour ago Heil Newsom just locked down all of Southern Ca into purple. I guess he had to have a lavish dinner party before the orders...

Back