Opinion Only half of Americans plan to get Covid or flu vaccinations this year – study

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Black
Reaction score
Maya Yang

Study also found that 37% who have gotten vaccines in the past do not plan on getting them this year

Less than half of Americans plan to get their Covid-19 vaccine this year, according to a new survey, and slightly more than half plan to get a flu shot.

In a new report released on Thursday, the Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center found that 37% of Americans have gotten vaccines in the past but do not plan to this year. The same percentage of respondents said they do not need any of the vaccines surveyed in the poll, including those against the flu, Covid-19, pneumococcal and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), the report stated.

The report also found that a slight majority of adults, 56%, have gotten or plan to get the flu shot this fall, while only 43% of adults have gotten or plan to get the Covid-19 vaccine. Moreover, the survey found that adults 65 years and older are most likely to get the recommended vaccines.

images

- Vacines are unhealty, they elevate my trigliceridies!

In a statement accompanying the report, Nora Colburn, medical director of clinical epidemiology at Ohio State’s Richard M Ross Heart hospital, said: “We’re at the start of respiratory virus season when you have the triple threat of flu, Covid-19 and RSV. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation about vaccinations, but the reality is that they are safe and highly effective in preventing serious illness and death.”

“Older adults, people with certain chronic medical conditions and those who are pregnant are especially at risk during respiratory virus season,” Colburn added.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the annual flu vaccine is recommended for everyone six months and older. Similarly, the updated Covid-19 vaccination, which the Food and Drug Administration approved in August, is recommended for everyone six months and older.

1ff05957-6cf9-401d-be18-590da06c3201.jpg

The CDC also recommends everyone 75 years and older, adults between 60 and 74 years who are at increased risk of severe disease, and people who are between 32 and 26 weeks pregnant from September to January to get the RSV vaccine. Although RSV is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms, it is the leading cause of infant hospitalization in the US.

Additionally, the CDC recommends everyone who is younger than five years or 65 years and older, as well as children and adults who are at increased risk of severe disease, to get the pneumococcal vaccine. Pneumococcal disease is a name for any infection caused by the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae. The various types of infections caused by the bacteria include pneumonia, meningitis, bacteremia (bloodstream infection), otitis media (middle ear infection) and sinusitis (sinus infection).

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/sep/14/half-of-americans-plan-to-get-vaccinations

I am much younger than 65 and already just had covid a few weeks ago.. I don't think I need to take a vax. It was more mild this time around versus when I got it like 2 years ago. Was more like a brief cold this time around and it never knocked me on my ass unlike the first time I got it.

I got the original one too, and had no problems at all personally - no one in my family did either.

I am not anti-vax, but I also think that some people just don't need it.
My dad’s skin on his hands is fucked. Only explanation so far from the doctors is it’s a side effect from the vax.

Last edited:
Is this another one of those winters of "Severe illness and death" they talked about a few years ago? JK jk....kinda.

Obviously people should choose what they feel is right for them and what will protect them most. I'll get a flu shot but skip the covid booster.

Regret getting double vaxxed first go around. Unfortunately work mandated it. I was close to quitting on principle but caved (two young kids) and am generally regretful. No boosters though.

Kids have not been given shots (lol @ parents who did)

What a ludicrous event and response.

Regret getting double vaxxed first go around. Unfortunately work mandated it. I was close to quitting on principle but caved (two young kids) and am generally regretful. No boosters though.

Same. Pretty much all of my coworkers have been skipping the boosters as we've all gotten it often enough to have some decent natural immunity(based on current research you've got about 9 months of really robust immunity after recovering from covid). After the 1st or 2nd booster they eased up on the rules. It's been business as usual for quite some time.

Whether we have severe symptoms or not, we're mandated by the state to stay home 5 days, no ifs, ands, or buts after a positive test. The shots might reduce the severity of symptoms but it seems like even that is up for debate these days. So continuing to take a chance on this new technology feels risky, especially if you're far removed from any of the vulnerable demographics. Especially if I'm expected to be back to work in 5 days regardless.

My 2 year old is up to date on his regular vaccines, but we haven't given him any covid shots. We're still not comfortable with the side affects noted in young males. We've all had it twice at our house. First time was terrible and both my wife and I were boosted 3 months before getting ill. Then we got it again 14 months later while on vacation and none of us had anything more than cold symptoms. Honestly I would have gone into work when we got home if I hadn't thought to test myself.

I realize this is all survivorship bias and anecdotal, so please don't take any of this as medical advice as I am not a Dr, but only a simpleton shitposting on a krav maga forum.

My dad’s skin on his hands is fucked. Only explanation so it’s have is side effect from the vax.
- Does he has kidney stones?

If you have kidney disease, you won’t see early warning signs on your skin. However, as the disease progresses, you may develop one or more of the following:

1. Extremely dry skin. Skin can become so dry that it:
    • Becomes rough and scaly
    • Feels tight and cracks easily
    • Develops fish-like scales
    Extremely dry skin is common in people who have end-stage kidney disease, which requires dialysis or a kidney transplant.

2. Itchy skin. Extremely itchy skin is a common symptom of advanced kidney disease. The itch can range from irritating to life-disrupting. Your skin may itch all (or most of) the time.
    Some people have itch on one area of their skin. The itch can also spread across most of your body.
  3. Scratch marks and other signs of scratching. When you scratch often, it affects your skin. You can develop:
    • Raw, bleeding skin or sores
    • Thick, leathery skin (lichen simplex chronicus)
    • Firm, very itchy bumps (nodularis prurigo)
    If nothing seems to relieve the itch, you may want to see a dermatologist. Some people who have end-stage kidney disease get relief from a treatment called UVB phototherapy.

4. Color changes to your skin. When the kidneys stop working as they should, toxins build up in your body. This build-up can cause color changes to the skin. You may see any of the following:
    • An unhealthy pale color
    • Gray hue
    • Yellowish color
    • Areas of darkened skin, as shown here
    • Yellowish, thick skin with bumps and deep lines
    • Cysts and spots that look like whiteheads
    The last two develop when you’ve had itchy skin for a long time and scratch often.

5. Nail changes. Kidney disease can affect the appearance of your fingernails, toenails, or both. People who have advanced kidney disease can develop:
    • A white color on the upper part of one or more nails and a normal to reddish brown color below, as shown here (half-and-half nails)
    • Pale nails
    • White bands running across one or more nails (Muehrcke’s nails)
    Because your nails reveal a lot about your health, see your doctor if you notice any changes to your fingernails or toenails.

6. Swelling. Your kidneys remove extra fluids and salt from your body. When they can no longer do this, the fluids and salt build up in your body. This build-up causes swelling, which you may notice in your:
    • Legs
    • Ankles
    • Feet
    • Hands
    • Face
    You may see the swelling in one or several areas of your body.

7. Rash. When kidneys cannot remove waste from your body, a rash can develop. One rash that occurs in people who have end-stage kidney disease causes small, dome-shaped, and extremely itchy bumps. As these bumps clear, new ones can form. Sometimes, the small bumps join together to form rough, raised patches.
  8. Blisters. Some people who have end-stage kidney disease develop blisters, which can form on their:
    • Hands (as shown here)
    • Face
    • Feet
    The blisters will open, dry up, and crust over. As they clear, scars appear.

9. Lump in your belly. This can be a sign of kidney cancer. In its early stages, kidney cancer seldom causes symptoms. When the cancer advances, it can cause a mass or lump on the:
    • Side
    • Belly
    • Lower back
    Feeling a mass in one of these areas can also be a sign of something less serious going on inside your body. If you find any spot or lump, make an appointment to see your doctor.

10. Skin too tight to pinch. This is an extremely rare side effect that can occur when you get an MRI or another test that requires a contrasting agent. A doctor may request a contrast agent to get a better view inside an area of your body, such as a blood vessel. If you need a contrasting agent, it will be injected into a vein before your test.

Gadolinium is a contrasting agent that can affect your kidneys. When this happens, it can cause:
    • Areas of hard, shiny skin that become too tight to pinch
    • Inability to fully bend a knee, elbow, or other part of your body
    • Skin that feels bound down
    This is a rare side effect. If you have kidney disease, be sure to tell any doctor who orders a medical test for you.

11. Calcium deposit under the skin. Your kidneys have several jobs. One is to balance certain minerals in your blood, such as sodium and phosphate. When the kidneys cannot maintain a healthy balance, levels can rise. Some people develop deposits of calcium in their skin, such as the patient in this picture. This patient also has half-and-half nails, which is another sign of kidney disease.

Calcium deposits usually develop around a joint and are not painful. However, when they occur within a fingertip, they can cause a great deal of pain.
    If one of these deposits pushes up through the skin, you may see a chalky discharge.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/a-z/kidney-disease-warning-signs

Apparently nicotine works to kill the nanotech that's in those shots.

Back