One variable in the Nate / Conor rematch that could change the outcome from the first fight

The biggest factor in the rematch that will decide the outcome of it is flat out, preparation.

In the first fight Conor was one hundred percent prepped to fight RDA at Lightweight, not Nate at Welterweight. The extra weight isn't something Conor was used to and trust me I'm a bigger guy so I know the more weight you have the more it drains your cardio, and I jog and it's still a bitch. He was also prepared to fight a much shorter and more aggressive fighter with heavier hands; where as Nate is taller, lanky, has better cardio and reach. Like how Chris Weidman was winning his fight with Rockhold, Conor did surprisingly well against Nate and arguably was winning the stand up for a while - and then he wilted after taking one too many shots while being tired as fuck.

In the rematch I expect Conor to be much more used to the one hundred and seventy pounds of weight he'll be carrying around. He knows his opponent and has been studying him since his loss, and he wants to accurately re-create this fight so he can show the world that he's better than that. It's why he fought Chad Mendez on short notice too, and why he even opt in to fight DC on short notice - he's willing to show the world he's willing to fight. He's a cocky asshole who doesn't shut his mouth in order to promote himself, but he has the fight IQ and skills to win this.

I think he'll win either by a decision (1/10 chance) or more likely a knock out in the mid/late rounds.

The lead foot kick was definitely having an affect. It opens mate up to the left hand. I agree, if Conor can keep focus I could see him winning.

What RDA did to Nates leg in that fight should be a crime. lol. His thigh looked like it had been ran over by a semi-truck.
Reason why RDA had that success is because he has a threat of TDs..Conor ain't shootin' unless he's panickin'....

Well he should have a variety of attacks on Nate's lead leg. I really loved this particular one and was baffled when he abandoned it:

NaturalGrandGemsbuck.gif

I mean this is not a fight ender by any means, but it helps Conor control distance without putting him in Nate's range of counter attack, and it keeps Nate guessing on Conor's entry. This kick alone has Nate backing towards the fence, which limits Nate's ability to lean back off Conor's punches and counter...which basically destroyed Conor in the first fight.
The only reason Conor had some success with distance is Nate was pacing himself. Nate will have more time to train and would be in tip top shape to go for 5 rnds....I hope Conor really believes he's the better boxer and try to outbox nate....

nate is going to break connie's leg trough a check

you heard it here before, you fucks

connie winning is a disgrace to the MMA world

and nate was defending leg kicks against johnson. he only had 10 days ro prepare against connie. I really fucking hope he's practicing leg kick checks

kick a Diaz lead leg? damn, why hasn't anyone thought of that before?!?

you should check out the RDA/Diaz fight, TS. it's brutal.

He caught Nate making one false step and it absolutely cost Nate the fight.

I'm just ready for this fight to be over so we can see him defend the belt at 145!

I think connor was preoared for a title fight while diaz got a call on a yacht to "get back to work". I can see both elevating but diaz muxh more prepared this time. Leg kicks will just give away his counter jab. Bad idea. I dont see how connor could improve while i see diaz on a full camp.

Rewatching the fight several times, I did notice that McGregor was having some success attacking Nates lead leg with kicks.

He thwarted Nates rhythm temporarily and had him off balance a couple of times with his leg kicks.

Then he abandoned that for a "mano e mano" trading of hands, and head-hunting routine.

I will say this:

IF Conor can really focus on a sustained attack on Diaz' lead leg from the onset, and MAINTAIN it, he has a chance at winning this fight. He chops down Nates lead leg, and it takes away nearly ALL of his punching leverage - Even the jab, which was a crucial factor in the first fight.

With the lead leg chewed up, Conor will much more easily be able to dart in and out, and pot-shot Nate, without worrying about a hard counter in return.

Pay close attention early in the rematch to this. It may determine the outcome of this fight.
Agree and disagree.

Chopping the leg or wrestling are THE gameplans to beat the Diaz, that's unquestionable.
The fact is that I don't think Nate is that kind of fighter anymore. Michael Johnson went into their fight planning to legkick all night. It worked for about one round before Nate started checking.

That leaves wrestling, but we all know Conor won't/can't do that. Unless he panics.

kick a Diaz lead leg? damn, why hasn't anyone thought of that before?!?

you should check out the RDA/Diaz fight, TS. it's brutal.

It's only so bad because diaz had a leg injury going into the fight.

nate is going to break connie's leg trough a check

you heard it here before, you fucks

connie winning is a disgrace to the MMA world

and nate was defending leg kicks against johnson. he only had 10 days ro prepare against connie. I really fucking hope he's practicing leg kick checks
What's so bad about Connor winning? You sound so pathetic man. Hater.

I think he can win if he not only sticks to a kick heavy gameplan, but if he also tries to pace himself and relegate his boxing to counters of Nate's shots. He was having success countering Nate's punches in their first fight.

I think the fight will be close, but will end up with the same outcome. Nate by sub.

IF Conor can really focus on a sustained attack on Diaz' lead leg from the onset, and MAINTAIN it, he has a chance at winning this fight. He chops down Nates lead leg, and it takes away nearly ALL of his punching leverage - Even the jab, which was a crucial factor in the first fight.

Pay close attention early in the rematch to this. It may determine the outcome of this fight.

Makes a lot of sense, however, that introduces another element and danger to Conor as well. If the Diaz' corner is good and I'm sure it is, they would encourage Diaz to go for a takedown. We know that Conor can be taken down, so by implementing a sustained leg attack, Conor is more open to takedowns. He might win the standup, but he might then get taken down and we know the advantage is hugely in Diaz' favor on the ground.

What's so bad about Connor winning? You sound so pathetic man. Hater.
not defending his belt? you know, the FW one that he has? wanting to do a connie trilogy? or an undeserving LW shot, stalling his FW title defense even more?

If Connor uses leg kicks, and fights more like Thompson against Nate and like Condit did against his older brother he can win. He needs to be on his bicycle more and less in the pocket. If he stays inside Nates range fight will not end well for him.

That said, I think Conor is simply too smart and too motivated to make the same mistakes again. I expect a much more patient, calculated, and VARIED approach from Conor this time.

Soon, motivated Conor may leapfrog motivated BJ on the motivated P4P list.

McG will approach this fight completely differently and, above all, with a good game plan.
The impression i had in the first fight is that Conor plan was only to go after Diaz to rip his head off. Actually he hit him hard, but he didn't take into account Nate unbrokable chin. The result turned to be that he gassed trying hard to kill him.

Conor clearly underestimate Diaz in the first fight. I expect the next fight to be more like a chess match with some good hard exchange here and there. Rooting for Diaz btw.

Not only that but Connor should throw more of the body kicks he used on Mendez. I only saw him try a few spinning kicks in the Diaz fight and not any of those body kicks. And I agree targeting that leg is a good idea. He nearly hyperextended Nates leg the one time he threw that leg kick

Makes a lot of sense, however, that introduces another element and danger to Conor as well. If the Diaz' corner is good and I'm sure it is, they would encourage Diaz to go for a takedown. We know that Conor can be taken down, so by implementing a sustained leg attack, Conor is more open to takedowns. He might win the standup, but he might then get taken down and we know the advantage is hugely in Diaz' favor on the ground.

That IS a good point. Nate caught one of Conors kicks near the end of the first and took him down.

He definitely won't be able to get away with any slow, or sloppy shit, or he does risk Nate putting him on his back again.

Back