one rep calculators on the bench

sprawl&brawl

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what you guys think about 1 rep calculations on the bench. i've always been a 310-330 lbs bencher. lately i've gone on tough routine coupled by creatine. protein, and glutaimine. i'm on my second week of 9 on the program. i'm not allowed to max until week 9 so i've been putting in figures into the calculator. my last workout went like this i had to do: 185 for 8, 230 for6, 250 for 5, 265 for 3 sets of 4 reps, then i had to do a back off max rep set with 250. i did 12 rapid fire reps of 250. i've used several max calculators and i get two figures of 349 for 360 lbs. so, obviously there is 2 different formulas. honestly, the 349 seems like the right number, but it would be cool to be benching 360! so, what gives? which seems like the liklier number between the two? MOst likely i never ever to a max single again. I"m almost 31 and it kills my shoulders when i do a super heavy max single, hence using the rep calculator.

Those calculators aren't terribly accurate. They're okay for a general idea, but it seems like you already have that.

Everyone's body is different, but this one's been fairly accurate for me.

1RM=WEIGHT LIFTED/(1.0278-(0.0278*#REPS))

At 315 for 6, this gives me a 1RM of 366. In reality, my tested max is 375, but the 6 reps is really about 6 1/2 (almost 7), which would equate to a 1RM of 372. Even though you don't typically count half a rep, it's fairly useful to see how far you get on that last "failure push" for use in the formula. See how it compares to what you've got.

Fun to play around w/ but, as you know, the true numbers will come in week 9 for you. Good luck.

I don't think they're worth shit for anything over 5 reps. Using a 12 rep max to determine your 1 rep max is like using your mile time to determine your 100 meter sprint.

Urban said:
I don't think they're worth shit for anything over 5 reps. Using a 12 rep max to determine your 1 rep max is like using your mile time to determine your 100 meter sprint.

i saw the thread title and was gonna write something about marathon runners sprinting, but you beat me to it.

I like using this formulae:

1RM = Weight Benched * 1.00;

TheNerdKing said:

I find that formula very accurate too. Sometimes tho, if you aren't sure what to load the bar with, it's good to have an estimate.

TheNerdKing said:

Listen Einstein, I've tried that formula a bazillion times and guess what, that's right it doesn't work.

Urban said:
Damn, that's an awesome analogy. I'm pissed it escaped me.

a guy built like igor vovchanchin is gonna need a different formula than someone like alistair overeem

a guy built like igor vovchanchin is gonna need a different formula than someone like alistair overeem

No, he won't.

{
// Allistair:

double maxBenchAllistair = WeightHeLifts*1.00;

// Igor:

double maxBenchIgor = WeightHeLifts*1.00;
}

It's always right. Best formulae ever.

NK, what's with the programming language. I think you need a vacation.

Sorry, I'm working 10ish hour days, going to the gym and eating. I need some R&R but I don't know any people here so my nights out are few and far between.

Meh such is life.

Those 10 hours are all spent coding C++ so I've got it on the brain...

OpethDrums said:
Why?

Madmick said:

because the variance in tissue. those calculators are a rough guide, you can only figure the accurate result by doing the lift.

Back