One of the Biggest Reasons for So Many Missed 170 lb Weight Cuts

The Bard

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Weight classes advance in increments of ten pounds until you get to 155. Then they increase in increments of 15 pounds (170, 185), then 20 pounds to LHW. When you are the champion at a current weight class, it means you are the best fighter who can make that weight class. It's rather arbitrary. For example, if there were a 177 lb weight class, would Gastellum or Hendricks be the champ? Certainly possible. Would Cerrone be champ at 162? We make fun of these guys for missing weight and losing to elite fighters, but a big part of it is that they just have an unlucky natural weight (no, Hendricks did NOT look fat for this weigh-in).

One way to cut down on the terrible weight cuts is to add two weight classes. Why not now? The UFC roster is huge, the sport is bigger than ever, and you have a couple of torch-bearers for the new classes.

165 (new)
175 (replacing 170)
195 (new)

instead of

Hell, you could even set it up just to add one more weight class and it'd help

165 (new)
175 (replacing 170)

In MMA, 165 would be an AWESOME weight. Should be very entertaining, good combination of speed, power, and cardio. Right now, 170 is probably the most entertaining class but I think 165 would be even better. 175 would be great too.

1lb Hendricks only giving it 70% effort on his diet

More of these: "Hey, I'm on 171 already and I'm on my way to weigh in."
mapleroasted-pumpkin-and-chicken-salad-15554_l.jpeg

Less of these: "I'm so fucking close Ariel, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I'm like, one pound away. No problem."
Market_Burger_Burger.jpg

Why make different weight classes for the guy who doesn't care enough to eat properly between fights?

I don't know, man, was Hendricks fat earlier this week? Didn't he have a hard time with the weight cut vs. Robbie, when he wasn't fat too?

Also, some guys are just built like that. Cain being another. They can be in great shape but still have a little excess weight.

I've been a proponent of 155-165-175 set of weight classes forever, because it would free the space in 2 most packed MMA division (LW and WW). Sadly, it will never come to fruition, because changing any rules is a years-long process involving a lot of whining from athletic commissions. I mean look at how long it took to remove the stupid "I'm touching the ground with one finger, I'M GROUNDED HAHAHA" thing, and not all states are willing to accept this change.

There should be more weight classes, I've agreed for a long time, but no, that is not a reason these guys miss weight.

1lb Hendricks only giving it 70% effort on his diet

More of these: "Hey, I'm on 171 already and I'm on my way to weigh in."
mapleroasted-pumpkin-and-chicken-salad-15554_l.jpeg

Less of these: "I'm so fucking close Ariel, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I'm like, one pound away. No problem."
Market_Burger_Burger.jpg

Why make different weight classes for the guy who doesn't care enough to eat properly between fights?
hendricks being a fatty isnt an argument against more weight classes

They are MW.
They're just a little bit shorter and stockier.
That's why they miss 170.

Not sure if I support more weight classes. Yeah, it'd be better for the competitors as it would allow them to better tailor their body for their ideal weight and it would create more belts, but I don't want MMA to become boxing. There are more irrelevant weight classes in boxing than relevant ones.

I do agree with adding one more weight class around 165ish because there are many guys who are really big and cut a lot for LW but they are small at WW because of how much weight those guys are cutting from

Would get more guys fighting at their ideal weight, I like a new 165 division and a 175 replacing 170

I agree. Boxing goes 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 190.

Jumping from 155 to 170 is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

Hendrick thought the fight was Saturday, weigh ins on Friday. Why didn't anyone tell him weigh ins were THURSDAY! Fuck'n guy can't catch a break!

Lol

I would say that's a strong suggestion, but not really a "reason" for fat fuckery

Creating an additional weight class shouldn't be a conversation after 1 fighter who consistently misses weight, misses weight. The true solution here is that fighter gets cut.

Weight classes are there to fit all body types, big and small. They shouldn't be there for every 5 pounds, that doesn't reflect body types, but rather adds more pointless belts. It's pretty simple. If you're 250 in shape you're a HW. 220 in shape you're a LHW. Around 200 in shape - MW. And so forth. Or you choose not to cut weight, benefits either way, everyone weighs them and decides.

Now if you make 170 multiple times, but then miss weight multiple times as well, it's a discipline issue and unprofessional. Fight at a higher weight then or figure it out. A 177 div won't make Hendricks more disciplined, it helps him to be undisciplined and doesn't add a new weight per body type. He'd just blow up more between fights.

I agree. Boxing goes 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 190.

Jumping from 155 to 170 is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.
How about no. Only a 10lbs difference between weight classes.

Creating an additional weight class shouldn't be a conversation after 1 fighter who consistently misses weight, misses weight. The true solution here is that fighter gets cut.
Eh, it's way more than one fighter. Cerrone doesn't have a natural weight class that's particularly fair to him either. A lot of fighters don't. Surely you know guys who are small in one weight class but have a really nasty weight cut to the next one down. Then you have guys like Weidmann who are just perfect for their class, and that gives them a huge advantage that enables him to beat guys who might be more skilled than him.

Back