One of the Biggest Reasons for So Many Missed 170 lb Weight Cuts

Lol...this would be legitimately terrible.

Heavier divisions are already struggling with depth as it is, definitely doesn't need another weight class.

Which heavier divisions are you talking about? I'm not talking about adding any class above 175. Aren't LW and WW some of the biggest divisions, in terms of number of fighters, in the UFC?

I don't think it would help him. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that Hendricks could miss 185 at this point. With food lovers of that caliber, people who have poor or no self control around food, any little bit of freedom you give them is just more rope for them to have themselves with. Look at Lineker.

10822.jpg

Fuck weight classes, you don't start a fight at a bar and then go
"How much do you weigh bro?"
"Ok, How much does your friend weigh then bro?"instead

Which heavier divisions are you talking about? I'm not talking about adding any class above 175. Aren't LW and WW some of the biggest divisions, in terms of number of fighters, in the UFC?

You said add a 195 division, and yes they are. I think a division can be added in between those. However, the weights have to be realigned so that they are stronger and have more depth. i.e. Some LHW need to go to HW, some MWs to LHW, some WW to MW. Some WW, but mostly LWs to a new division. Then FLW weight limit needs to be increased so some BW can make the division stronger.

Female divisions need to be rearranged too.

Right now there is a lot of super strong divisions and extremely weak divisions. At the end of the day it starts with talent, but they could be realigned to create more stars as a result, greater success.

1lb Hendricks only giving it 70% effort on his diet

More of these: "Hey, I'm on 171 already and I'm on my way to weigh in."
mapleroasted-pumpkin-and-chicken-salad-15554_l.jpeg

Less of these: "I'm so fucking close Ariel, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I'm like, one pound away. No problem."
Market_Burger_Burger.jpg

Why make different weight classes for the guy who doesn't care enough to eat properly between fights?

As a vegetarian, those burgers looks so fucking good.

The main reason is lack of discipline combined with a general disrespect to the sport.

The weight classes are what they are. You either make the weight or you don't.

You make a fair point, but we have enough weight classes. And going with this logic 195 would be added as well. 205 is thin enough as it is.

I agree. Boxing goes 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 190.

Jumping from 155 to 170 is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.
It's 175 and then 200, which is a ridiculous gap.

The classes are odd, why do a 7 pound jump then a 6 pound jump after?

There's absolutely zero reason why Hendricks should be missing weight. He's like 5'8 maybe 5'9 on a good day and his frame is rather small. He should be able to make 170 easily.

In regards to OP's proposal. He's actually better suited for 165 than 175.

They should make it harder to become champ. Why have little splits of being 10 pound different from one class to another. They should do little man, average man and big man class. Below 170 is little man. 170-200 is average man. 200+ is big man weight class. 3 belts only.

Back