one arm dumbbell snatch

mpg9999

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How low should I be getting on these? I barely do a quarter squat when I bring dumbbell overhead. I tried going lower and had a much more difficult time balancing the weight.

I don't think anyone does anything other than power snatches when using one dumbbell.

Yeah, power variations are when you stay above parallel.

Yeah, I haven't really seen anyone catch in a full squat on a dumbbell snatch. I suppose it's possible, if you practiced one-armed overhead squats enough...just never really seen anyone put in the effort to get the hang of the technique.

You should be using a barbell anyways

Only guys i've seen do anything like a full snatch with 1 arm staggered their stance on the catch, i'm sure you could with a normal foot position but the balance would be hard for sure.

Short answer go as low as you have to to catch the weight

I usually down a split style snatch. Though sometimes I'll do the squat snatch. I'm unable to locate the picture, but the world record holder Charles rigoulot did the one arm snatch with a full squat. His knee may even be touching the ground along with his offhand IIRC.

This isn't the pic I was thinking about, however it does show some depth. Though he would go even lower:

c_rigoulot2.jpg

You should be using a barbell anyways

Only guys i've seen do anything like a full snatch with 1 arm staggered their stance on the catch, i'm sure you could with a normal foot position but the balance would be hard for sure.

Short answer go as low as you have to to catch the weight

I think there are numerous advantages to using a dumbbell.

1. Learning Curve: This is why Ross suggests dumbbell snatches rather than barbell snatches. They are much easier to learn than barbell snatches and much more forgiving of errors.
2. Shoulder Flexibilty: Even people with lousy shoulder flexibility like me can do dumbbell snatches.
3. Unilateral Component: I think there is something to said for the balance/stabilizing component that comes with lifting heavy stuff with one arm.

That's not to say dumbbell snatches are better than barbell, but they have their place, IMO.

I think there are numerous advantages to using a dumbbell.

1. Learning Curve: This is why Ross suggests dumbbell snatches rather than barbell snatches. They are much easier to learn than barbell snatches and much more forgiving of errors.
2. Shoulder Flexibilty: Even people with lousy shoulder flexibility like me can do dumbbell snatches.
3. Unilateral Component: I think there is something to said for the balance/stabilizing component that comes with lifting heavy stuff with one arm.

That's not to say dumbbell snatches are better than barbell, but they have their place, IMO.

Uh, I believe standard was saying do ONE arm snatches with a barbell. That's how they were originally done.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCKuLT9wqP8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCKuLT9wqP8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dude my back has been real sore after doin one arm db snatches

Uh, I believe standard was saying do ONE arm snatches with a barbell. That's how they were originally done.

Yeah, 1 arm BB snatches as opposed to DB unless your doing conditioning.

1. More weight
2. Spinning collars
3. Teaches better form
4. Increase stabilization and wrist strength
5. Several times more awesome

Are you guys DB snatching with both arms or only with the one arm? I do both sides but ive seen alot of guys just do the one arm over and over and then call it a day. Obviously my weaker arm SUCKS for snatches but im trying to not build any imbalances (especially in the shoulder area)

ps. That video of the guy single arm BB snatching was friggin awesome!

Of course you should do both sides. I don't do one armed preacher curls with only my right arm, either. Always gotta do both.

Of course you should do both sides. I don't do one armed preacher curls with only my right arm, either. Always gotta do both.

but if the one side is weaker and you are focusing on develpoing speed and power, isnt there something to be said for exploding out a few with the stronger side?
Im just throwing it out...personally i do both sides as well but when i do the weaker side, i find myself worrying too much out shoulder mobility and stability.

I've only ever noticed a small difference between arms with 1 armed snatches. The prime mover is your posterior chain and that remains the same for both side, most of the unilateral aspect from the movement i find is the lockout not the actual movement.

but if the one side is weaker and you are focusing on develpoing speed and power, isnt there something to be said for exploding out a few with the stronger side?
Im just throwing it out...personally i do both sides as well but when i do the weaker side, i find myself worrying too much out shoulder mobility and stability.

One arm will normally be stronger than the other. On my one armed lifts I can do 5-10 pounds on average with my right arm than with my left. I don't add in any extra work for the left arm though.

The higher the weight you use the more likely a greater discrepancy between arms will occur. Like 180 pounds with right and 160 with left.

If you want to be super hardcore like me you would do the 1-arm BB snatch, then transition into a 1-arm BB OH squat. I do these once a week and their awesomeness has yet to be measured.

I literally take 2-3 girls home from the gym with me every time I do them. No joke.

Seriously though, try them, they feel bad ass and are amazing for your core.

Back