On the Frequency of Accidental Fouls

Eye pokes are fucking nasty. They can cause immediate permanent damage to eyesight. Fighters should get warning for stretched fingers, point deduction for the first poke, accidental or not, and DQ for any more infractions.

As for groin shots, they should at least make a rule that commentators don't get to tell us that it's accidental. They always say it's accidental even when it really doesn't look it.

I know you're joking, but for cage grabs that prevent takedowns, why don't they simply call TIME, put the defending fighter on his back, then restart the fight.

I'm talking Blagoy/Sakai on 05/30/2020.

--
Lol I dunno

Solution:
Take points no matter if intentional or not.

I don't care if it was unintentional, the foul gives an advantage to one fighter and changes the fight dynamic. A taken point restores the balance. And it will force "foulers" to finish the fight if they want to win.

This 100%.

Watch how quickly fighters tidy up their act if they knew there'd be consequences. I'd also apply this to eyepokes and fence grabs.

UFC-Time-in-Position-Graph-1024x825.png

The simple answer is that modern UFC fights spend way more time standing at distance than fights from 2000-2008. That was the era of NCAA wrestlers and their 30-27s. The overwhelming majority of eye pokes/groin shots are when fighters are standing at distance. TD defense in the modern UFC meta is completely different.
Great post!

Since you’re likely to get a free one it becomes part of the strategy. It’s called a tactical foul I think. This isn’t a new thing though I don’t know why it seems to happen more now than the old days.

The problem is it becomes a game both ways. If you punish people too hard it becomes a game to fake out the ref into thinking the leg kick hit your balls, and it becomes like soccer where guys fling themselves across the field and scream in pain.
Well that would suck shit but maybe replays could be a big part of it. Imagine the scorn a fighter would get if he claims nutshot and then in the replay it becomes obvious he is lying then immediately he is rushed by UFC attacks dogs trained to punish this offense. Amazing.

Well well well, that completes a trilogy where eye gouges played a meaningful role in each fight.

It's time to start fining guys for fouls.

Making eyepokesan automatic point would make sense if there is force behind the shot. There is no good reason to throw a fast, hard open fingered punch. I can understand outstretched arms but not actual strikes thrown with open fingers.

Well well well, that completes a trilogy where eye gouges played a meaningful role in each fight.

It's time to start fining guys for fouls.

Good bump for a timely thread.

Something needs to be done, its beyond ridicolous.

Back