• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media OMalleys BJJ coach got outworked to a 29-28 loss to Aljo

Will this experience have any bearing on Seans fight?

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score

Funny part is Augusto actually dropped Aljo, had some reversals, sub attempts and got back up to his feet. Wasnt a controversial decision or anything but this was one of Aljos toughest wins. He had issues here.... But this was 6 years ago and Aljo is a much, much better fighter now than he was then. Sean is a brown belt under Augusto.

seanomalley-e1621729663145.jpg

Last edited:
Great feedback and knowledge to acquire from the experience.

Tanquinho would comfortably win under ADCC or IBJJF rules, btw. Beast BJJ fighter.

Mendes was also grossly outsized by Aljo, who is pretty much at the limit for what a BW can be. O'Malley is enormous for the weight class too, though.

Here's Mendes BJJ credentials.

ad78d0f1ff2a765957f4f5e87f441a7e.png

The fact that Aljo was able to outgrappled him is very impressive.

He was able to "outgrapple" him by getting top control time with 2 TDs but he didnt really do anything with it. Augusto got up a few times, had reversals and only sub attempts of the fight.

Last edited:
He was able to "outgrapple" him by getting top control time but he didnt really do anything with it. Augusto got up a few times, had reversals and only sub attempts of the fight.
Well if Aljo can do that to Mendes, he can surely do it to O'Malley. Worst case scenario a boring win for Aljo. Best case scenario a quick GnP and sub.

Always thought his bjj coach would be Tim, his head coach and striking coach. Makes sense Sean would rather learn bjj from a world class guy

I don't think that means anything. Yan was able to take him down and out grapple him and Aljo is a much better grappler than Yan. Unless O'Malley made huge improvements I don't see him winning. The best I could see is him surviving back attacks and having some success on the feet but this is a terrible matchup for him.

I don't think that means anything. Yan was able to take him down and out grapple him and Aljo is a much better grappler than Yan. Unless O'Malley made huge improvements I don't see him winning. The best I could see is him surviving back attacks and having some success on the feet but this is a terrible matchup for him.
It could mean. Styles make fights and I don’t think O’malley was thinking about grappling too much against Yan. Sure, Yan grapples every now and then in his fights but mostly it’s his pressure and striking that wins him fights.

In this one O’malley knows what’s coming and hopefully is well prepared for the wrestling. He won’t be able to outwrestle Sterling, but afaik his BJJ isn’t bad and his footwork is great. With the right gameplan he’s making it a long night for Sterling, who’ll have to cut a lot of weight and there are rumours that he hasn’t had enough (?) time to heal up from his injuries…

May the best fighter win, I don’t like either of them but looking forward to high level MMA!

Back