• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Olympics Megathread

word on the street is she can't do shit without adderall, which is banned in japan, even though she had an exemption for it. this is unconfirmed, but seems possible.

also, the press have absolutely no shame whatsoever. the spin is disgusting.
she's actually a winner, you racists!
1627417895617.jpg

EmYq_8aeeMCKCw3yhjXasWKo0POIQFvc1HyznKu693Q.gif

This mental health shit is stupid. She doesnt have a legit condition. She literally just cant deal with the pressure. that is kind of what you sign up for when you become an athlete. performing under pressure. "not feeling it" is not an acceptable mental health excuse. what the hell has happened to this world where this is applauded?

I don't wanna shit on Simone Biles too much because I know she's been through some horrible shit in her life, but if a fighter pulled out of a fight on fight week due to mental health issues, we'd be mocking them for the next week.

Last edited:
This mental health shit is stupid. She doesnt have a legit condition. She literally just cant deal with the pressure. that is kind of what you sign up for when you become an athlete. performing under pressure. "not feeling it" is not an acceptable mental health excuse. what the hell has happened to this world where this is applauded?
Lol. Tell us more about this pressure Mr Olympian.

word on the street is she can't do shit without adderall, which is banned in japan, even though she had an exemption for it. this is unconfirmed, but seems possible.

1627417895617.jpg

I've never seen a quitter applauded before. The weirdest shit of all is that even at 70-80%, she's still better than anyone else. I keep trying to think of something more shocking in sports that I've seen and its difficult. Maybe Mike Tyson biting Evander Holyfield's ear. Roberto Duran said No Mas in 1980 but he at least showed up and tried to fight before he withdrew after getting his ass kicked for half the fight. He at least suited up and showed up.

I don't know. I'm having a hard time seeing how she gets some sort of mystical pass from the media for this.

I don't know. I'm having a hard time seeing how she gets some sort of mystical pass from the media for this.
getting a pass would have been ok. like, shit, we all have bad days.
but the press is now praising her. like she did this fantastic thing.
she quit. OMG, she's the best!
the fuck, man.

Lol. Tell us more about this pressure Mr Olympian.

I can't think of any other Olympians that just flat out quit while on the precipice of most gold medals for a female athlete ever. I can't think of any atheletes in any sports off the top of my head that quit with no injury. If you can I would love to hear them all. I know Roberto Duran said No Mas but he at least showed up to the fight and tried to fight. He tried.

My guess is more she didn’t have it this week and didn’t want to ruin her reputation so she decided to withdraw betting on the sympathy card.

She proclaimed she was the GOAT and went out and melted.

This may end up being ironic as fuck then because she's going to be labeled a quitter, or weak willed, spineless, any number of bad things. The media can spin it any way they want but there is a rather large backlash of fans.

getting a pass would have been ok. like, shit, we all have bad days.
but the press is now praising her. like she did this fantastic thing.
she quit. OMG, she's the best!
the fuck, man.

I wouldn't characterize this as having a bad day. Having a bad day is where you compete, try your hardest, but lose anyway. You do that, you get praise. What she did was quit, with no injury, while in position to win gold medals. This is the most extreme athletic meltdown I've ever seen. This makes Ronda Rousey look like a resilient athlete.

I wouldn't characterize this as having a bad day. Having a bad day is where you compete, try your hardest, but lose anyway. You do that, you get praise. What she did was quit, with no injury, while in position to win gold medals. This is the most extreme athletic meltdown I've ever seen. This makes Ronda Rousey look like a resilient athlete.
perhaps you are right. i was watching it and what happened was she failed a landing. not even failed by a lot, she was definitely not injured or nothing. but she just threw a hissy fit and fucked right off. i'd be pissed if i was one of her team mates. maybe the russian girls would have won anyway, but so what?

This may end up being ironic as fuck then because she's going to be labeled a quitter, or weak willed, spineless, any number of bad things. The media can spin it any way they want but there is a rather large backlash of fans.
The media will 10000000% come to her side and call her brave. Anyone who doesn’t will be cancelled.

I also see a lot of her defenders saying she had no choice since she is not being rewarded for her more difficult elements. Like what does that have to do that she can't stick the ones she is doing? thats like steph curry saying they are only counting his 3 pointers as 2 pointers during a game, but he keeps missing layups.

on a larger scale, this is also really going to hurt people with actual mental health issues. we are giving simone and naomi a pass for mental health, when they are just having bad days like everyone else on the planet. so now some people will start to not acknowledge people with actual, real issues. kind of like how every idiot on the planet now has "service dogs."

1627417895617.jpg
Holy shit, this is unbelievable. She pulled out of the All-Around competition, and they're ideating her for it.

Remember Bode Miller? Remember when-- like Osaka-- he decided he didn't want to do interviews for NBC in the early days of the Vancouver Olympics? NBC devoted a special segment during primetime where Bob Costas ripped into Bode. He said, "If you don't want the scrutiny of American's attention, that's okay, but in the months leading up to this OIympics, Bode did all the commercials, took all the endorsement money, accepted all the free publicity and free press building his name/brand from NBC, lavished in the limelight like a rock star as the face of the Games, and now he shuns the media. He's a hypocrite."

And Costas was right. If you're going to strum those air guitars, you better be ready to dance when the music comes on.

Four years later, NBC crossed the line. They asked him about his dead brother right after he won a race-- just to squeeze every bit of tasty drama they could to drive up viewership.
Bode Miller Driven to Tears — Did NBC Go Too Far in Post-race Interview?

Zero concern for Bode in both Games. Zero consideration for his family's personal affairs in Sochi. Zero consideration for the fact he might be a more private person in Vancouver. They didn't give a shit about his "mental health". They called a spade a spade. If you're going to put a Goat on your uniform, if you're going to strut around during all the press conferences, smiling and waving to every camera within telephoto range, constantly tweet about how impressed you are with yourself on social media...

...then the truth is you took this upon yourself in your quest for glory. Neither Bode nor Simone were playing a game without chips on the table. Both had a tremendous amount to gain: fame, money, prestige, future opportunity outside the sporting arena. Your average joe would kill for this.

Guess what? It's like anything else in life. That comes with some strings. Yes, it's a tremendous amount of pressure, but you chose this life. You chose the pressure. Nobody inflicted it on you without your consent.

She was a mental midget in Tokyo, and it's perfectly okay for everyone to judge her as such.

Holy shit, this is unbelievable. She pulled out of the All-Around competition, and they're ideating her for it.

Remember Bode Miller? Remember when-- like Osaka-- he decided he didn't want to do interviews for NBC in the early days of the Vancouver Olympics? NBC devoted a special segment during primetime where Bob Costas ripped into Bode. He said, "If you don't want the scrutiny of American's attention, that's okay, but in the months leading up to this OIympics, Bode did all the commercials, took all the endorsement money, accepted all the free publicity and free press building his name/brand from NBC, lavished in the limelight like a rock star as the face of the Games, and now he shuns the media. He's a hypocrite."

And Costas was right. If you're going to strum those air guitars, you better be ready to dance when the music comes on.

Four years later, NBC crossed the line. They asked him about his dead brother right after he won a race-- just to squeeze every bit of tasty drama they could to drive up viewership.

Zero concern for Bode in both Games. Zero consideration for his family's personal affairs in Sochi. Zero consideration for the fact he might be a more private person in Vancouver. They didn't give a shit about his "mental health". They called a spade a spade. If you're going to put a Goat on your uniform, if you're going to strut around during all the press conferences, smiling and waving to every camera within telephoto range, constantly tweet about how impressed you are with yourself on social media...

...then the truth is you took this upon yourself in your quest for glory. Neither Bode nor Simone were playing a game without chips on the table. Both had a tremendous amount to gain: fame, money, prestige, future opportunity outside the sporting arena. Your average joe would kill for this.

Guess what? It's like anything else in life. That comes with some strings. Yes, it's a tremendous amount of pressure, but you chose this life. You chose the pressure. Nobody inflicted it on you without your consent.

She was a mental midget in Tokyo, and it's perfectly okay for everyone to judge her as such.

posted this in another thread, but it's starting to look like she's going to the White House after his, for being brave
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/165609511/

<bball2>

Can’t be anymore on point

Boy, Simone just can't lose, can she? If she had toughed it out, gotten back in there, and competed (regardless of the outcome), she would have been called "brave." Now that she's withdrawing instead, she's being called "brave."

I know it's the narrative now that she can do no wrong, but I can't see this aging well at all. People will remember her as the the gymnast who "could have been great...if only..." Even looking her up now, you see things like "the sixth gymnast to do this" and "equaled a a number of other records for that." Great, sure, but nowhere near greatest.

Back