Olympic Weightlifting Question

ExtremeStandard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing some searching and can't find any reason why the clean and press was abolished from the Olympic weight lifting games. Does anyone know the reason why? Just curious because I always thought that it was a very technical lift and would add more interest to the sport if it was still an event.

I have been doing some searching and can't find any reason why the clean and press was abolished from the Olympic weight lifting games. Does anyone know the reason why? Just curious because I always thought that it was a very technical lift and would add more interest to the sport if it was still an event.

Two reasons. First, difficulty in judging the lift, Ie. how much lay back is acceptable, and how much is too much? And second, it makes competitions faster paced.

Ahh I see thanks Tosa. Well I could definitely see how judging would be difficult, but I mean they could create a standard of some kind for layback I'm sure. Too bad though.

Its also in the SS book, which is very good read regardless.

I can't exactly see how the clean and press is a dangerous lift, I mean it's only dangerous without proper form or using more weight than you can lift. Any lift is dangerous when not properly examining the different aspects of it. Hell you could hurt yourself doing curls if your not knowledgeable about what to do.

While were on the subject, why is pressing illegal in competition? Is there an olympic lifter who can actually press more than jerk? And, at where exactly do you draw the line between a push press and push jerk? I know theres supposed to be no press in the jerk, but what if u jerk, then have to press out the final phase to complete the rep.

While were on the subject, why is pressing illegal in competition? Is there an olympic lifter who can actually press more than jerk? And, at where exactly do you draw the line between a push press and push jerk? I know theres supposed to be no press in the jerk, but what if u jerk, then have to press out the final phase to complete the rep.

Any kind of pressing is illegal. In the jerk (both split jerk, and push jerk), it's you getting under the weight, and then standing up. Ie. any pushing that occurs during a jerk, happens while you're getting under the weight, and as much as someone is pushing the weight up, they're also pushing themselves under the weight.

It would be a failed lift.

Personally I like the jerk much better than the press (for Olympic weightlifting). It's a much more explosive movement and you can lift a lot more.

Last edited:
Two reasons. First, difficulty in judging the lift, Ie. how much lay back is acceptable, and how much is too much? And second, it makes competitions faster paced.

A visual example of this first point:

Compared to:

Ahh I see thanks Tosa. Well I could definitely see how judging would be difficult, but I mean they could create a standard of some kind for layback I'm sure. Too bad though.

Yeah really. They could use the same technology they use to determine if a tennis ball was in or out.

Back