Olympic Lifts

ExtremeStandard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Who finds adding some explosive, powerful lifts like clean and jerks, power cleans, snatches, and squat snatches etc. Really are great for developing overall body stability and strength thus helping the big 3 power lifts bench, squat, and deadlifts.

Powercleans fucking rule. I want to somehow find a female form of the powerclean and make sweet love to her.

for sure they are good but they deff. dont replace bench squat and deadlift. If i had to pick explosive movement such as powercleans snatches ect.. over barbell movements (bench squat deadlift) i would choose the bench squat and deadlift.

The probelm with doing only those lifts is that there is no de-movement. if you get what im saying, so you dont build a lot of strength, but a lot of explosiveness because you throw the bar in front of you. The only way TO ACTUALLY increase your max in those movements would be to use deads and squat and bench and shoulder military press and bent over rows. stuff like that with heavy weight. Or you can improve yyour form.

But either way dont neglect becnh squat and deadlift.

...so you dont build a lot of strength... The only way TO ACTUALLY increase your max in those movements would be to use deads and squat and bench and shoulder military press and bent over rows. stuff like that with heavy weight...

Thats statement sounds odd to me given my experiences. I have coached literally over 100 national champions in the sport of weightlifting, including members of the world team, pan am team, junior world team, etc, etc. 3 out of the current top 8 ranked lifters in the United States are currently coached by me, including the #1 ranked Junior. And all these lifters used the snatch and clean and jerk as their main method of increasing strength. Very little deadlifting has been done, in fact NO deadlifts for most of these lifters, same with military press, bench press, rows, and military press.

I admit, we do squat, mostly front squat. But when you look at how much front squatting that we do vs how much snatch and clean and jerk, you see that it is a small part of our training.

I do not think that one can go from clean and jerking 154lbs to clean and jerking 446lbs over several years if the main exercises they are doing do not actually make a person stronger. This is exactly the margin of progress one of my best current lifters has made.

Woah. Glenn Pendlay is posting on Sherdog?!

I like your rows.

for sure they are good but they deff. dont replace bench squat and deadlift. If i had to pick explosive movement such as powercleans snatches ect.. over barbell movements (bench squat deadlift) i would choose the bench squat and deadlift.

The probelm with doing only those lifts is that there is no de-movement. if you get what im saying, so you dont build a lot of strength, but a lot of explosiveness because you throw the bar in front of you. The only way TO ACTUALLY increase your max in those movements would be to use deads and squat and bench and shoulder military press and bent over rows. stuff like that with heavy weight. Or you can improve yyour form.

Dude i hear you got pwnt.

Anyway isn't here the rule: if you wanna be good at something then do that often?

http://neoncstar.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg?w=390&h=292

facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg

;)

Mod self facepalm. Don't see that too often.

I'm all for oly lifts.

In my experience the Oly lifts and and Big 3 will have transference, especially with beginners. I am not positive that the OP is a beginner, but I have a feeling he/she is.

Pretty cool that Glenn Pendlay is posting here.

In my experience the Oly lifts and and Big 3 will have transference, especially with beginners. I am not positive that the OP is a beginner, but I have a feeling he/she is.

Pretty cool that Glenn Pendlay is posting here.

I think the olympic lifts have negligible carry-over to the powerlifts.

Tell that to George Hechter. An 800+ deadlift in the 242lb class speaks louder than I can...

I like oly lifts or variants of the oly lifts.

Cleans are awesome for explosiveness. It's also more taxing on your cardio, which is good for all around workout.

I don't do too much olympic lifting, but I do agree that doing those lifts will help the powerlifts as well. I was looking at the Broz thread, and I think the videos and discussions over there illustrate the point. A lot of those guys have great deadlifts and squats, even though they are following an olypic program. Now one could argue that they do a lot of squat variants, but I wouldn't say that is the "core" of their routine. They also don't do any deadlifts or bench, but they experienced gains in those lifts as well.

Tell that to George Hechter. An 800+ deadlift in the 242lb class speaks louder than I can...

I am not denying that there are some very strong olympic lifters, or even that olympic lifting training can make you a strong powerlifter. After all, oly lifting training does incorporate heavy squatting and various forms of pulling, and it requires similar strengths to powerlifting.

I just don't think training the oly lifts is a the best use of time for a powerlifter. From what I understand, most elite-level powerlifters today don't do any olympic lifting, preferring different variations of squat/bench/deadlift. Although I am sure you could find exceptions. Similarly, I doubt you have your guys doing benches and deadlifts for the C&J/snatch (although I could be wrong).

Hopefully I am not coming across as a know-it-all here. After all you have accomplished more in your lifting career than I will probably ever will. I'm just not sure I agree with you on this. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not denying that there are some very strong olympic lifters, or even that olympic lifting training can make you a strong powerlifter. After all, oly lifting training does incorporate heavy squatting and various forms of pulling, and it requires similar strengths to powerlifting.

I just don't think training the oly lifts is a the best use of time for a powerlifter. From what I understand, most elite-level powerlifters today don't do any olympic lifting, preferring different variations of squat/bench/deadlift. Although I am sure you could find exceptions. Similarly, I doubt you have your guys doing benches and deadlifts for the C&J/snatch (although I could be wrong).

Hopefully I am not coming across as a know-it-all here. After all you have accomplished more in your lifting career than I will probably ever will. I'm just not sure I agree with you on this. Let me know what your thoughts are.

I do agree with you that OL is not the best use of time for a powerlifter... different sport, after all. But there is carry over, particularly in the deadlift.

Just for the record, let me say that if one could only do 3 exercises, only 3, and wanted the strength gained to be as transferable as possible to all other exercises, and all other physical activities... I think these 3 exercises would be the high bar squat, the power clean, and the push press. If you get strong on these 3 things, you are strong at everything.

I do agree with you that OL is not the best use of time for a powerlifter... different sport, after all. But there is carry over, particularly in the deadlift.

Just for the record, let me say that if one could only do 3 exercises, only 3, and wanted the strength gained to be as transferable as possible to all other exercises, and all other physical activities... I think these 3 exercises would be the high bar squat, the power clean, and the push press. If you get strong on these 3 things, you are strong at everything.

I've been considering replacing SOHP with push press. Can you provide some insight on why push press would be a better option?

Okay all I'm going to say is OHP and Push Press are both great exercises now OHP is more an isolated exercises now lets not forget it does consist of other muscles to support the bar as it goes up, but the push press provides more complete full body action. You are using leg drive and contraction of alot of muscles in the back, shoulders,core, legs, and wrist muscles. It is a more powerful explosive option, I would use both for a more mixed versatile muscle progression.

Back