Rumored *** Oliveira vs. Islam MEGA THREAD (Rumored for October 22nd) ***

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Common thread here, Ali Manages Gaethje, Islam and Beneil

Ali probably is telling his fighters to not predict against his own. Privately Beneil may have thought Oliveira all day but who knows.

Nah, it's more than that between Dariush and Gaethje. They're really good pals outside of whatever business connections they share with Ali.

He didn't collapse just due to "trying" to cut weight. He had an underlying and unknown medical issue exacerbated by the weight cut which caused his collapse, and was then discovered after the fact and treated in Germany.
Which means he didn't make weight. If we're going to take a hard line with Oliveira, when his employer is the one who provided the faulty scale, then Khabib didn't make weight period. Everything but the weight is an excuse.

Probably but Beneil needs to stop doing Ali's bidding. Ali works for him, not the other way around. He's getting screwed out of a potential title shot because Ali is prioritizing one of his other clients.

Ali went on air and said Oliveira should fight Islam OR Beneil next.

Even by presenting himself as being indifferent between the two, Ali is effectively favoring Dariush because common logic says Islam should be next since he's ranked higher and Dariush hasn't fought in over a year.

Dariush is not doing anyone's bidding, he's giving his own honest take re: him not being active lately but still wanting a TS next fight or the one after.

Charles really should train at AKA for a bit and learn their towel technique

Hgtkozc.gif

Hl8DjLT4ncdf137Aa3iDyuKG2JESsNV8zE7sGV3bqk4.jpg

It pays to be a UFC star. Khabib just clearly missed weight and the commission was already prepared for this, as the gif shows.

Which means he didn't make weight. If we're going to take a hard line with Oliveira, when his employer is the one who provided the faulty scale, then Khabib didn't make weight period. Everything but the weight is an excuse.

This is just pedantic.

Tony "didn't make weight" when he tripped on a cord and blew out his knee, but no one calls that a "weight miss" as it's typically understood.

If Oliveira had an unrelated, underlying medical issue or disease that required hospitalization, most people wouldn't be giving him much shit.

His forward pressure will leave him open to the takedowns, but it will also decrease the chances of Islam taking oliveira down against the cage, and that's where islam excells on top. If they're in the open Mat, oliveira has a much better chance of attacking subs or hitting sweeps, so ultimately I think his forward pressure will help him in several ways.
I get what you're saying, and I appreciate your thought process, but Oliveira's forward pressure often leads to the clinch, especially close to the cage. It's entirely plausible that he walks himself into a clinch near the cage, gets reversed, and taken down precisely where you're suggesting Islam excels. Point being, I think Oliveira will need to be more tactical in this fight than he has against guys like Chandler, Dustin, and Justin.

1) This didn't need to be its own thread

2) It's not the UFC's fault that he missed weight. People need to stop trying to spin this narrative that Oliveira got screwed. He got an extra hour to cut the extra weight and he didn't. Besides, nobody forced him to be at exactly 155 the night before. He could have been at 154 one or two days before fight night. In other words, if he had accounted for a margin of error with the scale he would have still made weight. He chose to cut it as close to the weight limit as possible for max weight advantage and it backfired

This is just pedantic.

Tony "didn't make weight" when he tripped on a cord and blew out his knee, but no one calls that a "weight miss" as it's typically understood.

If Oliveira had an unrelated, underlying medical issue or disease that required hospitalization, most people wouldn't be giving him much shit.
What was the underlying issue? Sounds like an excuse for not making weight.

Oliveira was given a faulty scale to measure if he was on weight by his employer. The same employer that is punishing him for not making weight. If Oliveira were to sue them, the UFC would be found to be culpable. You can't give someone a faulty measurement device and told to rely on it only to be held accountable when the device is faulty. It's not like some thrid party gave him the scale to use. This was the UFC's scale.

What was the underlying issue? Sounds like an excuse for not making weight.

He never revealed it, and there could be all kinds of reasons for that, including not being allowed to fight with it (see Bisping).

However, it's documented that he did have to go to Germany to treat it for a few months after the collapse.

Oliveira was given a faulty scale to measure if he was on weight by his employer.

Fucking LOL

Literally every other title fighter made weight on their first try using the same scales.

Were Oliveira stupid enough to try and sue, he'd never get past that obvious giant hole in his logic. Fighters adjusting the scales happens in every event, as most of these fighters and Dana have also pointed out. This isn't new, and a really stupid excuse on Oliveira's part.

1) This didn't need to be its own thread

2) It's not the UFC's fault that he missed weight. People need to stop trying to spin this narrative that Oliveira got screwed. He got an extra hour to cut the extra weight and he didn't. Besides, nobody forced him to be at exactly 155 the night before. He could have been at 154 one or two days before fight night. In other words, if he had accounted for a margin of error with the scale he would have still made weight. He chose to cut it as close to the weight limit as possible for max weight advantage and it backfired
It is absolutely the UFC's fault he didn't make weight. It was their scale that they provided under the pretense that it could be reliably used to measure his weight. The UFC would absolutely lose a court case. It's not up to Oliveira to make up for the UFC's faulty equipment or to cut more weight than needed just in case their equipment is faulty.

It is absolutely the UFC's fault he didn't make weight. It was their scale that they provided under the pretense that it could be reliably used to measure his weight. The UFC would absolutely lose a court case. It's not up to Oliveira to make up for the UFC's faulty equipment or to cut more weight than needed just in case their equipment is faulty.

Again, different fighters adjust the scale in every event, and are still expected to be responsible enough to make weight. Most of the fighters discussing the issue have pointed out this is hardly new. Every previous champion showing up has made the weight anyway. Every other title fighter in Oliveira's event did, too.

This is a really lame excuse, and Oliveira would lose a slam dunk court case as soon as Dana trotted out Garthje, Rose, and Carla making weight in one try, etc.

The official scale was on point so your argument holds no water.

The preview, non official scale was off.

Sweeps are going to be key for Oliveira. Islam has struggled with butterfly guard in the past. That, and trying to pressure Islam into taking sloppy shots, wrapping up the neck on the takedown and at least using the sub attempt to end out on top.
When did Islam struggle against butterfly guard?

If Oliveira hits a clean sweep on Islam I will lose my shit lol, that's so hard to do in MMA against a grappler as good as Islam, but I would be more hype to see that than a knockdown haha.

If you can't cut 0.5 lbs in 1 hour it means you are simply too big for 155.

No excuses. Oliveira is trying to weight bully and he even succeeded. So no belt for him.

He could cut 1 lbs in 1 hour easily, let alone 0.5 lbs. Its the same scale.

It means Oliveira had no water and fat left to cut anymore. Oliveira was no 155er, he was probably 10 lbs bigger than Gaethje.

Lmao.

1- DC failed in his first attempt then he come back later and tried the second attempt with holding the towel.

2- Khabib never failed in his first attempt and he didn't hold the towel.

If there was a problem they wouldn't let Khabib to pass in the first attempt as they didn't let DC and didn't let Khamzat.

Khabib haters are desperate as usual.

2- Khabib never failed in his first attempt - untrue. the video footage clearly shows there was no point he was 155 when they stopped the scale/ it's literally irrefutable video evidence and anyone who is impartial can admin to that.

and he didn't hold the towel. - He did, however, he let go of the guys holding the towel as they were starting to weigh him. This part wouldn't have mattered. He let go. The first part though.... oh yeah, there's literally no video proof he passed. The only video evidence we have, show he wasn't 155. That's just a fact dude.

islam is my pick to win- not because im a bigger fan of his, but because I think he has the style and tools to put chuck on his back and grind him out- although if olives finds a way to get islam out of there, it wouldn’t surprise me

When did Islam struggle against butterfly guard?

If Oliveira hits a clean sweep on Islam I will lose my shit lol, that's so hard to do in MMA against a grappler as good as Islam, but I would be more hype to see that than a knockdown haha.

Pretty sure Arman used butterfly guard against Islam in order to get back up. And if I remember correctly, wade actually used a kimura trap to sweep Islam and get full mount briefly. I dont remember that one as well, though. My point, though, is that islam isn't perfect and Oliveira has a much better guard than anyone else Islam has faced.

Last edited:
Ali is Burt hurt that Gilbert Burns thinks Charles can beat Islam.

Not only is he one of the most entertaining high level guys but he’s taking it to one of the sinister characters in the sport having already beat Gaethje

Charles is the man!
man cant wait until Ali fight Charles...... oh wait.

What a stupid fucking post, get a life you loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back