• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oldest scary movie that doesn’t suck

Return to Oz is creepy as fuck.

a twisted sequel of a sort. I think it's pretty well made, & it disturbed the shit out of me as a kid

tumblr_m7iz6cRWZj1qmhxqdo1_500.gif

Kids films generally entered rather disturbed territory in the early 80's, Return to Oz is probably the most extreme but the Dark Crystal and even parts of The Never-ending Story come to mind plus animation like the Secret of NIMH.

A lot of good films on here. I would add Hour of the Wolf 1968. It's bizarre, creepy, and uncomfortable.

TCM holds up well.

Poltergeist is pretty good too.

Skimmed the first page and didn't see The Omen...so yeah, The Omen.

"Damian, this is all for you!"

I think an underrated 1970s classic is Burnt Offerings starring Karen Black, especially that ending. That shit bothered me for a long time when I was a kid.

Another one starring Karen Black was Trilogy of Terror, particularly the third installment of the series called Amelia. Crazy stuff.

Eyes Without a Face still holds up IMO.

I'm gonna have to check out Return to Oz based on those gifs, though, jesus fuck.

As a kid I loved Return to Oz. I always wanted to find a tree that had apple lunches lol. It wasn't creepy to me at all back than but I can definitely see how it could be

I think an underrated 1970s classic is Burnt Offerings starring Karen Black, especially that ending. That shit bothered me for a long time when I was a kid.

Another one starring Karen Black was Trilogy of Terror, particularly the third installment of the series called Amelia. Crazy stuff.

Most people I know do not like BO. It’s way too much of a slow burn, much like the novel, for them. It is great to me though.

Tod Browning's "Freaks" from 1932
Came here to mention this. Oldest scary movie I've actually seen and really liked. I like the imagery from Nosferatu but haven't sat through the whole thing yet. A Trip to the Moon from 1902 might not really be a scary movie, but I think it deserves a mention.

I think The Thing is pretty dated. Watched it a couple of days ago.

Alien and Alien II aged so much better. It's crazy.
I think you're dated, the solution is to punch you repeatedly in the head until your brain cells rearrange to a more desirable state.

Not really, but I think The Thing is timeless. Amazing movie.

Yeah The Thing uses all old school effects. Totally boss for the time and it helps if you're a fan of that style. People that are, like myself, will argue that it holds up. Have you seen the prequel that came out a few years ago? That had updated effects, of course, and was very similar to the original but still worth a watch.

I'm gonna binge all the Alien I can find some day soon. It's been too long.
They supposedly filmed the prequel with practical effects, which were then replaced with CGI because the studio thought the audience would prefer it. Jackasses...

They supposedly filmed the prequel with practical effects, which were then replaced with CGI because the studio thought the audience would prefer it. Jackasses...

That is a shame. If much rather see the homage effects.

Back