Old routine

sambo fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I found this routine on the net and I think I could be a good way for a fighter to build limit strength and build explosiveness without having to learn the full olympic lifts. What do you guys think?

Weiders power routine from the September 1967 Mr America magazine.
Warm up with some light clean and presses.
1. Clean & Press. Clean the weight once and do 4 to 6 presses. Add ten pounds for each set until you can do no more than 2 presses. Then add ten more pounds and start the clean & jerk.
2. Clean & Jerk. Powers clean for 2 reps then power jerk the weight after the second clean, also for 2 reps. Add ten pounds each set until you can

Kinda reminds me of Marty Gallagher's "Purposeful Primitive Progressive Pulls" routine (Yes, it's a goofy name).

His went Power Clean, High Pulls, Deadlift, Stiff Leg DL, and Bent Over Row.

It's actually looks pretty fun, I'll give it a try. I love burning out my muscles until I can't even stand!

Dash_Riprock said:
Kinda reminds me of Marty Gallagher's "Purposeful Primitive Progressive Pulls" routine (Yes, it's a goofy name).

His went Power Clean, High Pulls, Deadlift, Stiff Leg DL, and Bent Over Row.
HAHA. Kind of like Flanagin's flailing arm flailing man.

I have very little experience with olympic lifting, but I don't know why the only exercise that could be defined as max effort is performed last. I understand the progression, but I wouldn't think that the benefits of deadlifting for a max single would be anywhere near as effective after wearing out your legs and back pulling submaximal weights. This isn't so much criticism, I'm just curious as to what people who do alot of olympic lifting think about this routine.

Update. I was sore as shit from the first session. I had my second training session after two days of rest. I decided to modify it a little though. I cut out the deadlift and overhead press leaving just the explosive lifts, so it looked like this.

Warmup with a few cleans and presses.
1. Power Clean and Power Jerk. Two cleans followed by two jerks. I added 10 pounds per set until I missed a jerk. Then I continued to add 10 pounds per set and just do 2 cleans until I missed one. Then I added 20 pounds to the bar for high pulls.
2. High Pulls. I did sets of two adding 20 pounds per set untill I missed one. Thats it.

This session felt really good. It was still a good workout, but it was not quite as grueling as the other routine.

Back