Old man trying to get back into shape

BL@ZEN

White Belt
Reaction score
OK guys here it is, I am 28 and have not been actively staying in shape the way I should. I have been playing recreactional sports but lately been having a hard and harder time doing it.

I know that I am out of shape but I need your help. I really don't have time to get to the gym but I have make shift weights at home. Here is what I am doing just to get the muscles working again:

Push ups
Dips
Bench Press - Make shift weights

Thats hoping to just make the upper body stronger not for size. I am doing this about 3 * 15 reps ever second day.

Squats
Lunges
Burpees
Wall sit
Mountain climber

Again just wanting to get stonger not size. Again I am doing this every second day 3 * 15 reps.

What I am wanting to know, if I do this every day from now untill the end of June what kind of results can I expect. Now to state the obvious, I will up the reps every second week probably by 1 just to see what happens.

I am also doing:

sit ups and all sorts of other excersizes for the abs but I can't seem to remember any of them right now.

So what results can I expect and is there anything else I should add to make this better? PLease remember I don't have weights and don't have acces to any at the moment.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

I was thinking I would have a log in here to update everyone on my status but not sure if that is a good idea.

Dude @ 28 you are not old.

Look at the stickies at the top of the page, especially the monthly challenges and check out rosstraining.com.

Google tabata intervals, barbell complexes and burpess.

What to expect: not a great deal. You'll maybe develop slightly higher muscle endurance. Bodyweight alone is not sufficient to build mass or strength. And unless you're doing those exercise circuit-style (one set of each exercise, consecutively, with very short or no rest periods) you won't be deriving much cardio benefit.

Diet is also a huge factor in getting where you want to be. You can be doing the best exercise regimen in the world but you'll just be spinning your wheels if you're not feeding yourself in proper accordance with your fitness goals.

Read the stickies in all the training forums, and describe your goals best you can. What you're doing now may not be a waste of time, but there are a lot more effective and time-freeing methods of getting in shape.

Hey Thanks for the advice. And yes at 28 I am not old but starting to feel like it.

Here is really what I want to do:

I want to lose about 15 - 20 pounds. About 6,2 - weight about 200 - 210.

I want to get into good enough endurance shape that I am able to get back into boxing and fighting shape. Not serious but enough that I can go play sports and grappling fights with my firends for a couple of hours and not feel like death has caught up to me.

Also I left out the fact that I am also doing cardio on a elyptical machine. I think, I have found varaitions for doing this and making it harder. Doing it on the tip toes or with out holding on to the upper support.

Either way this is really what I am looking to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Can or will anyone help me:

If I do these in a circut what results will I get?

Can or will anyone help me:

If I do these in a circut what results will I get?

Circuit training is as old as the hills and is one of the best ways to burn fat. Do the workout you're doing now - squats (jumping squats are best), lunges, dips, CHINS, situps, pushup variations, burpees, etc, 10-20 reps each, with as little rest as possible between sets (aim for none). Once you've done one set of each exercise, take 60 seconds rest, and start all over again. Repeat x5.

Do that 3-4 times a week, get your diet in order (check fitday.com for a useful calorie counter - it helps) and you'll lose fat and build cardio fast.

I've never been on an elliptical so I can't comment on that, but generally machines are to be avoided. Start running. There's shitloads of beginner's running threads plus links to the highly touted counch-to-5k program in the FAQ.

Back