OL Program

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think for my next off-season, instead of training for Lacrosse, I'll pick up Olympic Lifting as a second sport. There is a Coach at my school, so I should be able to learn all of the basics fairly quickly.

I have almost no experience with this type of lifting, so I'm looking for some help with putting together a program. What I put together looks pretty good to me, but I could be wrong. Comments/Suggestions would be appreciated.

DAY 1: C+J
1) PP or PJ or OHP
2) Power Clean or Hang Clean or Full Clean
3) Clean Pull or High Pull or RDL
4) Front Squat
5) Abs

DAY 2: Snatch
1) OHS or Snatch Balance
2) Power Snatch or Hang Snatch or Full Snatch
3) Snatch Pull or Snatch Highpull or Snatch-grip Deads
4) Back Squat
5) Abs

EXTRA DAY 1: At gym
1) Bench or DB Bench
2) Lunges or Step ups
3) Row Variation
4) GHR
5) Curls
6) Extensions

EXTRA DAY 2: At apartment
1) Chins
2) Pushups
3) Calves
4) Neck

The set up would look like this:

M - Day 1
T
W - Day 2
T
F - Day 1
S - Extra day
S
M - Day 2
T
W - Day 1
T
F - Day 2
S - Extra day
S

If you want to learn oly technique, do not waste a whole day doing random assistance at the gym!

DAY 1: S
1) Snatch
2) Snatch Balance or OHS
3) Back Squat
4) Snatch Pull or Snatch-grip Deads
5) Lower Back

DAY 2: C+J
1) Clean
2) Rack Jerk
3) Clean Pull
4) RDL
5) Abs

DAY 3: S & CJ
1) Snatch
2) Power Clean
3) Front Squat
4) Snatch Pull
5) Abs

DAY 4: S & CJ
1) Snatch
2) Clean & Jerk
3) Front Squat
4) Lower Back

I had it more as an optional day, because I may not be able to get to the gym 4 days a week. How would you set up the week for 4 days of OL? 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off?

EDIT: I wasn't planning on starting any program, until my classes with the coach were finished.

If one day is optional, use day 3 as the optional day and do front squats instead of clean pulls on day 2. I did Mo, We, Fr, Sa. But it doesn't really matter. Just don't squat heavy three days in row.

Sounds good. Is this the program you were running in your log?

If you want to pick up Olympic Weightlifting then find a USAW Certified Club Coach or higher level coach through the USAW and let them help you with a program. I don't think you'd expect to train MMA without a qualified coach and be very successful so don't expect to pick up Weightlifting without the supervision of a qualified Weightlifting coach either.

maybe that oly routine should be put in the sticky? it's always hard to find a good oly routine. anyway i'm saving it to my computer for after the squat comp.

If you want to pick up Olympic Weightlifting then find a USAW Certified Club Coach or higher level coach through the USAW and let them help you with a program. I don't think you'd expect to train MMA without a qualified coach and be very successful so don't expect to pick up Weightlifting without the supervision of a qualified Weightlifting coach either.

That's kinda what I was thinking. If you're going to be taking classes with an Olympic Lifting coach anyway, why not come up with a routine with him and then post it?

I think the coach is certified, but you'd have to ask Klotz, he took classes with her. I went to one class last year, and it seemed decent.

I don't know why I didn't think about asking her for a program. I guess I was under the impression that all of the programs given out at my school were made for sports (football, hockey, etc.)

If you have access to a coach, train with a coach. This is obviously beneficial in any sport. But don't let the absence of a coach get in your way if you want to start off with olympic lifting.

Yes I would agree with Takeahnase that if you don't have access to a coach you shouldn't let this stop you from lifting, but if you can find yourself a qualified Weightlifting coach it will help your improvement dramatically. Weightlifting is a very technical skill, much like MMA, it's not nearly as easy as it looks, and when you're first starting out is when many fine aspects of the motor programs are developed. The two olympic lifts are by far the most technically demanding lifts in all of lifting, no offense to the powerlifters on the site.

In other words, it's much easier to learn the skill correctly in the first place than it is to fix bad habits you developed while training on your own for awhile. You can spend a year or two training by yourself and create all sorts of problems in your technique that will take months or even years to fix by a qualified coach later.

If you have any aspirations to compete in the sport and be serious about it I would highly suggest trying to find a good USAW coach or at the very least get yourself some DVDs from the USAW on the lifts.

Check out USAVision to look for coaches and information on the sport.

Back