1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Okinawan Goju Ryu kicks

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Jimmy Jazz, Aug 7, 2016.

1. CFGroup Purple Belt

Glad you posted that clip.

I was just saying the other day on a Go Ju sparring thread that they don't want to come at you with western sport fighting tactics. They want to grab you pull you in With Kumi Waza, club you with Atemi Waza, break your arms with Kensetu Waza and throw you away with basic Tachi Waza....Just like he's demonstrating in that clip. All of the Kensetu Waza are part of the Judo Nage No Kata curriculum that was borrowed from these foundational arts, developed for the Kodokan by Tomiki Sensei at the request of Kano Sensei to preserve those techniques in the Judo setting.

When David joined our Judo club, he already had years of that bone calcification training from Dan level Go Ju not even counting the 13 years of service in the USMC. It was an honor and a badge of survival to Randori with him for years and take his Shodan Nage No Kata Ukemi after the three months of training up to his test.

2. JohnPJones Green Belt

3. Hotora86 taking points for fouls regardless of intent

You "found" it in my thread probably.
    https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/156193075/
    <[analyzed}>

But yeah, it's pretty interesting that Morio Higaonna's son (confirmed) is in MMA and his standup is... well, lacking IMO. Looks like a brawler. I know that Okinawan Goju gives no fucks about WKF-ish point fighting and thus will look different but Eric is just... brawling. I was a bit disappointed to see this. I mean it's cool that he's fighting in MMA and representing Karate, but it looks like he relies much more on his wrestling background.

4. JohnPJones Green Belt

Found it on YT not here.
    Guess I’m not surprised it was already posted here though

5. Frode Falch Steel Belt Professional Fighter

Where is the original video?

6. SandisLL Brown Belt

Most likely cos wrestling is taught 100% full contact.

7. Hotora86 taking points for fouls regardless of intent

Goju (and Kyokushin, Ashihara, Shidokan and other Karate styles) has full contact sparring and competitions.

8. Azam Brown Belt

Yeah I checked out the full fight after I saw your thread.

To be brutally honest - his standup looks pretty damn bad. He looked like an uncoordinated brawler considering he must at the bare minimum be a shodan in Okinawan Goju.

His opponent was even worse. I was shocked at how bad his opponent was and kind of confused as to how he could be a professional fighter. He looked like he was new to martial arts period. I don't know how his coaches could have in good conscience allowed him to fight professionally knowing how bad he is.

I mean if his striking looked that bad against a guy who clearly shouldn't even be in the cage to begin with - it makes you think that his standup must be pretty damn bad.

I don't like the Higaonna linking though - I feel for him there. He's his own man and I don't think him being the son of Morio Higaonna should even come into play with his MMA career. It shouldn't factor into anything he does. You are as much your own man as your father's son - as the saying goes.

I wish him luck though with his career. It's early on - there is always the possibility of getting much better.

9. Hotora86 taking points for fouls regardless of intent

To be fair, Eric is a freaking hobbit tho. No disrespect, he could probably kill my sorry ass but just look at his build! Short legs and T-Rex arms which would put Lobov to shame. He's a FLW but he'd have a reach disadvantage even against literal midgets. To go 7-0 in MMA at one point with such a horrible build is an achievement in itself, even if it's against horrible cans.