• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Xbox Official Xbox Series X thread

Is there any type of general consensus yet for which console to go with. I haven't had a console since the 360, I got the red rings of death early on and never replaced mine. Like everyone else I am not traveling or doing things I wanted to do right now, thinking of picking up a next gen console. I originally was thinking PS5 but it looks like Microsoft has been making acquisitions of game studios to add to their content and working on other things, they do have the bigger pockets. I am now leaning towards the Series X. Any unbiased information would be appreciated.

You’ll never get a consensus. As far as “unbiased information” that’s also going to be pretty hard to come by. The best you can do is post in this thread and ask people to “sell you” on an Xbox. Then post in the ps5 thread and ask for them to sell you on that.

I’m getting a PS5, but a year or two down the road I may consider buying a Series X too if I don’t invest in a gaming PC first, because if you have a decent PC there’s not much reason I can think of as to why you should get an Xbox, but the same can’t necessarily be said of a PS5.

I don't know how you would categorize them, I have always liked sci-fi fps type games, I played Halo a lot when I had the 360. I like rpg's, I use to play Diablo 2 a lot on the PC. I would probably get an NBA game, only sport I really follow.

As far as sci-fi games they pretty much have all the same games. If you still want to play Halo then you have no choice but to build a PC or get an Xbox. They are still pumping out Halo but I'm not sure how good they still are. I have never really been a fan of FPS. I played so many FPS games as a kid I got burnt out on them for life it seems like.

RPGs is hands down Sony. A lot of their exclusives incorporate RPG elements as well as having some of the best RPGs out in general. FF7 Remake is on there as well but this will probably come to Xbox and PC as well I just can't find anything concreate that guarantees it (we wont know for sure until April 2021) . If your an RPG fan FF7 remake is a must play game.

Xbox recently purchased Fallout, Skyrim, Doom series so if you can't miss out on any of those series you might want to go Xbox because there is no guarantee they come to Sony anymore. They will still be going to PC though.

You’ll never get a consensus. As far as “unbiased information” that’s also going to be pretty hard to come by. The best you can do is post in this thread and ask people to “sell you” on an Xbox. Then post in the ps5 thread and ask for them to sell you on that.

I’m getting a PS5, but a year or two down the road I may consider buying a Series X too if I don’t invest in a gaming PC first, because if you have a decent PC there’s not much reason I can think of as to why you should get an Xbox, but the same can’t necessarily be said of a PS5.

Is that because of the games being released on pc and Xbox being similar and Sony having games that would not necessarily be available or for some other reason?

Is that because of the games being released on pc and Xbox being similar and Sony having games that would not necessarily be available or for some other reason?

My understanding is that Microsoft doesn’t plan to withhold any games that will release on Xbox from also being released for Windows. So having a PC and not being able play a game releasing for Xbox won’t be a concern.

The same cannot be said for PlayStation, although Sony has indicated that in the future they do plan to release more of their exclusive games on Windows too, but I wouldn’t bank on it across the board.

Xbox has pretty much decided to reinvest in PC gaming because of their Xbox game pass service.

I'm not going to write up all the details of how it works because it's pretty complicated with all the features and the way it works. It's basically like a Netflix for games. This is something you might want to look into though. All new releases will be on Xbox game pass day 1.

This is really interesting. What he describes, consoles essentially becoming PCs without clearly defined generations, is something that I think will really damage the idea of console gaming. It makes for a nice quote, but which has more emotional payload with consumers: RTX 3080 or Xbox? It's no contest. People get genuinely excited about the console wars and especially console launches in a way that they don't for video cards, processors, or operating systems. The model he alludes to is, I think, ultimately bad for the console market. It's watering things down. But what I find interesting is that Microsoft doesn't care. They don't want to sell you a console. They want to sell you a service. A service that exists on many platforms, ultimately not reliant on a console. If Microsoft uses their muscle to push the industry in that direction, Sony and Nintendo don't really have much there.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's really like Microsoft just picked up the ball that Valve dropped with the whole Steam Machines idea.

Last edited:
This is really interesting. What he describes, consoles essentially becoming PCs without clearly defined generations, is something that I think will really damage the idea of console gaming. It makes for a nice quote, but which has more emotional payload with consumers: RTX 3080 or Xbox? It's no contest. People get genuinely excited about the console wars and especially console launches in a way that they don't for video cards, processors, or operating systems. The model he alludes to is, I think, ultimately bad for the console market. It's watering things down. But what I find interesting is that Microsoft doesn't care. They don't want to sell you a console. They want to sell you a service. A service that exists on many platforms, ultimately not reliant on a console. If Microsoft uses their muscle to push the industry in that direction, Sony and Nintendo don't really have much there.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's really like Microsoft just picked up the ball that Valve dropped with the whole Steam Machines idea.
"Emotional payload"? WTF are you talking about?

XSX vs RTX 3080 is a "no contest"? Sure, I agree with that. It's a no-contest win for the XSX. To argue otherwise is deeply ignorant, and hinges upon the logical presumption of a theoretical world where the entire global market is presumed to possess an infinite supply of disposable income. This is a world that doesn't exist.

Prebuilt PCs right now with the RTX 3080 are $2100. The XSX is $500. Tell me...how many $2100 TVs do you think Wal-Mart and Best Buy sell? How many $500 TVs? Even if self-building, we're talking about ~$1500 or more, right now, and once again, we've couched ourselves in a hypothetical niche that's share of the real market is fractional.

Yes, Microsoft is picking up where Steam left off with a great idea that just didn't sell because Gabe was trying to push Linux. Linux isn't inevitable, and never was. So Steam Boxes held no attraction to anyone. Meanwhile, gaming services and cloud gaming are inevitable. They are the future whether someone likes it or not no differently than streaming video was a decade ago. I still remember the howls when Netflix bifurcated their base service into mail-in and streaming-only. People shook their fists...and then didn't get up from the couch. Now they look back and marvel there was such a quaint time when people waited for their movies, at all. It hasn't even been a decade, and yet that era feels prehistoric.

"Emotional payload"? WTF are you talking about?

XSX vs RTX 3080 is a "no contest"? Sure, I agree with that. It's a no-contest win for the XSX. To argue otherwise is deeply ignorant, and hinges upon the logical presumption of a theoretical world where the entire global market is presumed to possess an infinite supply of disposable income. This is a world that doesn't exist.

Prebuilt PCs right now with the RTX 3080 are $2100. The XSX is $500. Tell me...how many $2100 TVs do you think Wal-Mart and Best Buy sell? How many $500 TVs? Even if self-building, we're talking about ~$1500 or more, right now, and once again, we've couched ourselves in a hypothetical niche that's reality in the real market is fractional.

Yes, Microsoft is picking up where Steam left off with a great idea that just didn't sell because Gabe was trying to push Linux. Linux isn't inevitable, and never was. So Steam Boxes held no attraction to anyone. Meanwhile, gaming services and cloud gaming are inevitable. They are the future whether someone likes it or not no differently than streaming video was a decade ago. I still remember the howls when Netflix bifurcated their base service into mail-in and streaming-only. People shook their fists...and then didn't get up from the couch. Now they look back and marvel there was such a quaint time when people waited for their movies, at all. It hasn't even been a decade, and yet that era feels prehistoric.
Calm down, dude. You think we're arguing for some reason when I didn't even say anything to you, and, more importantly, we're in agreement. Yes, Microsoft basically took the Steam Machine idea and improved it. Yes, Xbox slam dunks on the RTX 3080 when it comes to its emotional payload (how much people actually emotionally invest in the product, sentimentality, etc). That was my entire point. I just think that a nontrivial amount of a customer's attachment to the brand is actually tied to the physical hardware and old discrete console generations. I still remember being so excited as a kid about the launch of the Super Nintendo, the PlayStation and N64. I know I wasn't alone there, either. And I just can't imagine the same level of excitement being generated with the fluid model that's proposed. Not a criticism of Microsoft at all, just an old man yelling at clouds if anything.

Back