Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predictions:

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Xiaonan Yan. Yan.

Loma Lookboonmee vs. Angela Hill. Hill.

Shana Dobson vs. Priscila Cachoeira. Dobson.

KK via hope.
Loma because I have to vote for the person with the best pure MT in the UFC.
Dobson

Predictions:

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Xiaonan Yan. Yan.

Loma Lookboonmee vs. Angela Hill. Hill.

Shana Dobson vs. Priscila Cachoeira. Dobson.
I have substantial money on each of those three outcomes.

I have substantial money on each of those three outcomes.
Betting heavy on dobson v zombie sounds crazy, it's such a toss up on fighter at the bottom.

I think kk has just enough left for the win this.
And hill should comfortable win with her size and striking.

Bonus picks kallionidou and McCourt in bellator.

I'd like Cachoeira to win, given her background story and the UFC's callous use of her as a Shevchenko chew toy (then throwing GOAT ref Yamasaki under the bus for their terrible matchmaking denying us of his JBG-approved services), and from memory Dobson got completey destroyed by Mazo and Roxy looking absolutely Z-tier in the process, while Cach at least had some moments vs Molly, I thought she might have a chance.

But after going back and rewatching some fights, Dobson actually has some pretty good hands, and having pretty good anything is basically all it takes to beat Cach :( (who also didn't do as well against Molly as I remembered... at all).

Although getting cut in defeat seems certain, I'd still like the UFC to keep her for one more bout (in recognition for their past cruelty) in a UFC WMMA wooden spoon 3-way tournament between Cachoeira, Nadia Kassem, and Liana Jojua.
(guess Jojua would be the fav there; I'd certainly be content with her sticking around for a bit longer ;) )

I still want to believe in Lipski :)

Also: KK, Cachoeira and *hatpull* Hill, I guess.

I'd like Cachoeira to win, given her background story and the UFC's callous use of her as a Shevchenko chew toy (then throwing GOAT ref Yamasaki under the bus for their terrible matchmaking denying us of his JBG-approved services), and from memory Dobson got completey destroyed by Mazo and Roxy looking absolutely Z-tier in the process, while Cach at least had some moments vs Molly, I thought she might have a chance.

But after going back and rewatching some fights, Dobson actually has some pretty good hands, and having pretty good anything is basically all it takes to beat Cach :( (who also didn't do as well against Molly as I remembered... at all).

Although getting cut in defeat seems certain, I'd still like the UFC to keep her for one more bout (in recognition for their past cruelty) in a UFC WMMA wooden spoon 3-way tournament between Cachoeira, Nadia Kassem, and Liana Jojua.
(guess Jojua would be the fav there; I'd certainly be content with her sticking around for a bit longer ;) )
I am surprised people think the UFC treated Cachoeira as a chew toy for her fight with Valentina. I thought it was fairly well known that no other 125ers wanted the fight and in hindsight it was for good reason. Even Jennifer Maia turned down the fight when she was thought to be the best 125er in the world. I can understand if they went to Cachoeria 1st for the Valentina fight but if no one else would accept it what are they to do? never have her fight again? Due to no one else wanting to face Valentina at the time Cachoeria was given the opportunity to make a name for herself and it just did not workout in her favor.

People get angry with the UFC for this fight which was definitely a mismatch while Bellator skates by without even signing anyone who is a true threat to their girl ilima. The closest person Bellator signed who might even threaten ilima is her best friend Liz and that was a favor to ilima. It seems like 90% of the girls Bellator signs these days for pretty girls who have not even made their pro debut yet. Yet somehow ilima is starting to get her name mentioned with the WMMA greats without ever having to face any actual challenges.

No matter how many people hated Ronda(I was one of them by the time her career was near its end) and how her career ended I think its ridiculous to even mention ilima in the same sentence as her. Ronda fought all the best fighters available to her in her division. When ilima does that and still has a great career then she can be talked about with the other WMMA greats. Sorry this part of my post was added because I was irked by an article I saw recently that talked about WMMA greats and had ilima and Budd ranked in there with Nunes and Ronda. Budd lost every fight vs any fighter she faced where we know was good and is somehow getting spoke of as a WMMA great. Absolutely Ridiculous.

I still want to believe in Lipski :)

Also: KK, Cachoeira and *hatpull* Hill, I guess.

Really? Lipski is a good athlete, but does not exactly have, well, refined technique and it does not appear to be improving.

My girl Karolina for the win! She adopted a vegan diet because of her condition (Hashimoto's disease), and claims to be feeling really good. I hope she can garner all that vegan power into beating this juicy Yan.

I'm picking Hill, she's improved and deserves a ranked opponent next. I just *hope* the continuous weigh cuts don't take a bit toll on her, especially now that she's been having a resurgence. Last year she was posting her walking weight at around 133lbs, endorsing protein shakes and what not. Hopefully she's keeping her weight down to make cuts very easy.

Really? Lipski is a good athlete, but does not exactly have, well, refined technique and it does not appear to be improving.

Partially aestethic reasns, but she seems cool and has taken her losses quite well and whatnot. I don't mean belief on a champ, or even contender level. But fight by fight basis, hope she sticks around in an org I can easily watch :)

Two of my Bellator picks have already gone the wrong way (Williams (I think I just wanted to be contrarian with that one.also, the size difference), and Penco).
Picking Kallionidou and McCourt to finish off Bellator.

UFC: Cachoeira, Hill, and Yan.

I am surprised people think the UFC treated Cachoeira as a chew toy for her fight with Valentina. I thought it was fairly well known that no other 125ers wanted the fight and in hindsight it was for good reason. Even Jennifer Maia turned down the fight when she was thought to be the best 125er in the world. I can understand if they went to Cachoeria 1st for the Valentina fight but if no one else would accept it what are they to do? never have her fight again? Due to no one else wanting to face Valentina at the time Cachoeria was given the opportunity to make a name for herself and it just did not workout in her favor.

People get angry with the UFC for this fight which was definitely a mismatch while Bellator skates by without even signing anyone who is a true threat to their girl ilima. The closest person Bellator signed who might even threaten ilima is her best friend Liz and that was a favor to ilima. It seems like 90% of the girls Bellator signs these days for pretty girls who have not even made their pro debut yet. Yet somehow ilima is starting to get her name mentioned with the WMMA greats without ever having to face any actual challenges.

No matter how many people hated Ronda(I was one of them by the time her career was near its end) and how her career ended I think its ridiculous to even mention ilima in the same sentence as her. Ronda fought all the best fighters available to her in her division. When ilima does that and still has a great career then she can be talked about with the other WMMA greats. Sorry this part of my post was added because I was irked by an article I saw recently that talked about WMMA greats and had ilima and Budd ranked in there with Nunes and Ronda. Budd lost every fight vs any fighter she faced where we know was good and is somehow getting spoke of as a WMMA great. Absolutely Ridiculous.
1. Yes, Cahacoeira vs Shevchenko was a horrible mismatch. Matching up a promotional debutant against someone coming off a title challenge a weight class higher was disgusting, probably the biggest mismatch in UFC history. If the UFC weren’t such tightwads, they’d have thrown enough money to convince one of the actual flyweight contenders to take the fight instead of bringing up some unknown Brazilian fighter.

2. you seriously don’t see heavy handed Judo black belt Juliana Velasquez as a threat to Ilima-lei? Really?

3. Who have you seen call MacFarlane one of the greats that isn’t a direct Bellator employee of one of her teammates? I’ve yet to see anyone call her that.
My girl Karolina for the win! She adopted a vegan diet because of her condition (Hashimoto's disease), and claims to be feeling really good. I hope she can garner all that vegan power into beating this juicy Yan.

I'm picking Hill, she's improved and deserves a ranked opponent next. I just *hope* the continuous weigh cuts don't take a bit toll on her, especially now that she's been having a resurgence. Last year she was posting her walking weight at around 133lbs, endorsing protein shakes and what not. Hopefully she's keeping her weight down to make cuts very easy.

On JRE she said she’s been staying close to 130 between fights.

When they say everyone else turned down the fight my inclination is not to believe them.

1. Yes, Cahacoeira vs Shevchenko was a horrible mismatch. Matching up a promotional debutant against someone coming off a title challenge a weight class higher was disgusting, probably the biggest mismatch in UFC history. If the UFC weren’t such tightwads, they’d have thrown enough money to convince one of the actual flyweight contenders to take the fight instead of bringing up some unknown Brazilian fighter.

We agree here. People have no problem fighting her now because she is champion. So that means a min payment of 100k/100k and 30k Reebok as a title challenger.

2. you seriously don’t see heavy handed Judo black belt Juliana Velasquez as a threat to Ilima-lei? Really?

Maybe you are right and she is one but I have to see her prove it 1st against someone we know is good. Anyone can look good against over matched opponents. For example, Angela Hill looked like a world beater in Invicta and when she takes these late noticed matches vs the bottom of the 115 division. However, we all know once she steps up the competition she almost always losses. This is why level of competition is so important to me when talking about how good a fight is. Remember Juliana is in the same division packed mostly with pretty girls as ilima is.
3. Who have you seen call MacFarlane one of the greats that isn’t a direct Bellator employee of one of her teammates? I’ve yet to see anyone call her that.

It was an article in an MMA magazine about 4 or 5 days ago. Ilima linked to it on her instagram story. If you want to read it you might be able to find it on one of her social media pages.

I am surprised people think the UFC treated Cachoeira as a chew toy for her fight with Valentina.

Um, well one was the #1 contender a division higher, arguably the best female fighter in the world, and a life long athlete, the other was unknown and unranked and only started sport 2 years prior to recover from a major drug addiction and a life of abuse. If this was boxing the match might not even have been sanctioned. I'm surprised - amazed, actually - anyone can think of it as anything else than the most heinous squash match that the UFC has ever made. Do you really believe the UFC couldn't have found a more respectable opponent.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with it either but, (i) I always thought it funny that some ppl thought Maia was the #1 in the new UFC division just because she was champ in Invicta and anyone would need to fight her to prove legitimacy, when it was obvious to anyone who wasn't autistically fixated on the what the old pecking order was that wasn't the case and sure enough it immediately was proven she wasn't at the top but just another face in the mix ;
and (ii) the rant about Ilima is even more unconnected but just coz you just saw some rando on youtube or wherever saying Ilima is up there with Ronda, doesn't mean that's a common opinion ;) (-since you posted that it was in a magazine a few days ago while I was writing this - Bellator PR probably paid them to say that ;) )
Velasquez or - with a few more fights - Kielholtz could be a tough match for Ilima.

..wait what, Cach just KTFO'd Dobson? I take it all back, Val was in mortal danger of getting slept at any moment by her then-undefeated opponent. :eek:

When they say everyone else turned down the fight my inclination is not to believe them.

If they say the sun is coming up tomorrow, my inclination would be to disbelieve them.

That is totally fine because as a promoter they will tell you what they think can make them more money. We do know for a fact that they offered Jennifer Maia the fight in this case though.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12...sion-turn-down-ufc-fight-valentina-shevchenko

Um, well one was the #1 contender a division higher, arguably the best female fighter in the world, and a life long athlete, the other was unknown and unranked and only started sport 2 years prior to recover from a major drug addiction and a life of abuse. If this was boxing the match might not even have been sanctioned. I'm surprised - amazed, actually - anyone can think of it as anything else than the most heinous squash match that the UFC has ever made. Do you really believe the UFC couldn't have found a more respectable opponent.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with it either but, (i) I always thought it funny that some ppl thought Maia was the #1 in the new UFC division just because she was champ in Invicta and anyone would need to fight her to prove legitimacy, when it was obvious to anyone who wasn't autistically fixated on the what the old pecking order was that wasn't the case and sure enough it immediately was proven she wasn't at the top but just another face in the mix ;
and (ii) the rant about Ilima is even more unconnected but just coz you just saw some rando on youtube or wherever saying Ilima is up there with Ronda, doesn't mean that's a common opinion ;) (-since you posted that it was in a magazine a few days ago while I was writing this - Bellator PR probably paid them to say that ;) )
Velasquez or - with a few more fights - Kielholtz could be a tough match for Ilima.

..wait what, Cach just KTFO'd Dobson? I take it all back, Val was in mortal danger of getting slept at any moment by her then-undefeated opponent. :eek:
Yea I know some of my things were unconnected with what you were saying. I said that in my previous post. This is what I usually do. I keep quiet when I have things on my mind and at a later date when a topic that is tangentially related to my previous thoughts is brought up I kind of place them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.