Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Isis Veerbeek and Lisa Spangler the latest to sign to Invicta.

I was going to post about this one. Good stuff. Links.

Four Fighters Join Invicta FC Roster, Including Isis Verbeek and Luanna Alzuguir
February 8, 2018/by Rob Tatum

Kansas City, Mo. — Invicta Fighting Championships has signed four new athletes to its roster.

Joining the atomweight division will be GLORY Kickboxing veteran Isis Verbeek (0-0). With more than 50 combined Muay Thai and kickboxing bouts, the 23-year-old Dutchwoman will make her professional MMA debut inside the Invicta cage. She’s faced many of the world’s best strikers, including current GLORY champion Anissa Meksen.

Bolstering the 125-pound division will be Brazil’s Luanna Alzuguir (0-0). A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, the 32-year-old is a five-time world champion and an ADCC gold medalist. She earned a third-round submission victory over Brittney Cloudy in her lone amateur MMA bout.

Lisa Spangler (0-0) is the latest addition to the bantamweight division. Dubbed “The Strangler,” she has amassed a record of 9-1 as an amateur, including five finishes by strikes. Fighting out of Gracie Barra in Portland, the 22-year-old Spangler has shared the cage with Invicta veteran Kal Schwartz.

Finally, Croatia’s Adriana Vuković (0-0) is the youngest fighter to sign with the promotion. At just 18 years of age, Vuković has already compiled an amateur record of 6-0-1. Training out of Tristar MMA, the flyweight has won numerous amateur titles in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, kickboxing and MMA.

Look for all four fighters to debut inside the Invicta FC cage in 2018.

Photo: Isis Verbeek (James Law/GLORY)

http://www.invictafc.com/2018/02/08...r-including-isis-verbeek-and-luanna-alzuguir/

I know with Valentina Shevchenko moving on to Flyweight the
smallest fighter at Women's Bantamweight is now Veronica
Macedo who is only 5'3" and only weighs 140 lbs at most.

She needs to reduce her walk around weight. Her size is, well, let us just say she has a higher bodyfat percentage than most other competitive women in her weight class now. Going up in weight secondary to a lack of long-term discipline is a recipe for future beatings.

She could go either way. She is 5'7 which is slightly taller then most bantamweights but not very tall either. Thicker frame then average. She could add on muscle or try and slim down more. For competitions' sake it has mostly been better to try and cut down for bantamweight but she has often, in the past, commented about wanting to fight at featherweight. This sentiment is not new with her. She has two fights at 140lbs. (Not including her fight with Dufresne.)

If she were willing to engage in the discipline necessary to cut down on her weight more then she would have done so already although she could still try. She has commented in the past about passing out after weight cuts and just sleeping and eating prior to her fights at bantamweight.

She will run into larger women at featherweight though who will have some advantages over her there but mostly she will be okay size wise and having more skills then most of her opponents. At bantamweight she will enjoy a little bit of a size advantage and more competition.

One comes with a better quality of life then the other. Of course that all goes out the window when people are fighting.

Last edited:
or try and slime down more.
Ewww.

:p

I don't think I've ever watched Moras and thought: 'she'd be better suited at 145'.
She's a 135er imo.
A little change in body composition wouldn't hurt though...

I was going to post about this one. Good stuff. Links.

Four Fighters Join Invicta FC Roster, Including Isis Verbeek and Luanna Alzuguir
February 8, 2018/by Rob Tatum

Kansas City, Mo. — Invicta Fighting Championships has signed four new athletes to its roster.

Joining the atomweight division will be GLORY Kickboxing veteran Isis Verbeek (0-0). With more than 50 combined Muay Thai and kickboxing bouts, the 23-year-old Dutchwoman will make her professional MMA debut inside the Invicta cage. She’s faced many of the world’s best strikers, including current GLORY champion Anissa Meksen.

Bolstering the 125-pound division will be Brazil’s Luanna Alzuguir (0-0). A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, the 32-year-old is a five-time world champion and an ADCC gold medalist. She earned a third-round submission victory over Brittney Cloudy in her lone amateur MMA bout.

Lisa Spangler (0-0) is the latest addition to the bantamweight division. Dubbed “The Strangler,” she has amassed a record of 9-1 as an amateur, including five finishes by strikes. Fighting out of Gracie Barra in Portland, the 22-year-old Spangler has shared the cage with Invicta veteran Kal Schwartz.

Finally, Croatia’s Adriana Vuković (0-0) is the youngest fighter to sign with the promotion. At just 18 years of age, Vuković has already compiled an amateur record of 6-0-1. Training out of Tristar MMA, the flyweight has won numerous amateur titles in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, kickboxing and MMA.

Look for all four fighters to debut inside the Invicta FC cage in 2018.

Photo: Isis Verbeek (James Law/GLORY)

http://www.invictafc.com/2018/02/08...r-including-isis-verbeek-and-luanna-alzuguir/
So Isis Veerbeek pretty much has no MMA background? Cray. A nice addition to the atomweight division nonetheless.

The more kickboxers/Muay Thai fighters that transition over the better.

Ewww.

:p

I don't think I've ever watched Moras and thought: 'she'd be better suited at 145'.
She's a 135er imo.
A little change in body composition wouldn't hurt though...

Hah. Fixed that. Ewww indeed!

Moras came in when there where an increasing number of larger women trying to fight at bantamweight so it appears she is not all that big by that metric. As a rule of thumb I look at fighters and decide whether they can they can reasonably make the next lower weight class without engaging in reframing their bodies.*

Ashlee Evans-Smith as been slimming down over the past year and a half. She looked a bit smaller then normal against Moras, now she is very slim, and looking to fight at flyweight. Hard to have seen that from her fighting at featherweight. I hope what she is doing works out for her. Ashlee is around 5'8 although looking at pictures she is not all that taller then Moras. Moras is about 5'7 or so. And Moras has a larger frame then Ashlee. I was looking at fight pictures earlier but ones I could use to demonstrate size were not easy to come bye. (Then a GD pop-up fake alert forced a computer shutdown.)

The direction I am going is that Moras is not really regular sized bantamweight. She is on the larger side of things. Now can you image Moras as a flyweight without having to go through the kind of transformation Ashlee Evans-Smith has?

Should Moras, or anyone else, only ever cut down to the very limits of their ability to cut? That is not healthy. And people know that.

Moras could go either way and has often talked about fighting at featherweight and now she is doing so again. I guess I could go into other issues that are more speculative like whether she can actually cut weight well or not. That depends on the person's ability to just do it, genetics. There was something else that was on my mind but it is escaping me at the moment. (Edit. Remembering part of that thought. The more she works out the more muscle mass she gets from her own comments. She wants strength and endurance more so then cardio or so it seems.)

Diet is already addressed elsewhere along with discipline. Quality of life. Etc.

I'm going to move on to another topic for now. (Battling a cold for the last five days. Getting sick of being sick.)

* (Edit. Or fight at the next larger weight class and not be totally outsized. This rule of thumb does not always apply but it works fairly well to determine where people fit in overall unless they are carrying around really excessive fat and or walking around at much larger weights then they ought to.)

Last edited:
I know with Valentina Shevchenko moving on to Flyweight the
smallest fighter at Women's Bantamweight is now Veronica
Macedo who is only 5'3" and only weighs 140 lbs at most.
She has big shoes to fill lol

Macedo should honestly drop to 125. I feel like she could do really well, but then again WBW is wide open so if she can rack up a couple of wins, she could honestly be in title contention (I could say the same for Ladd or Smith).

I wonder if Gadelha is planning on coming back soon. She may have lost to Andrade but she's still #3 and arguably one of the best in the division. I know the Esparza / Ansaroff idea might be cray cray but Esparza could still be a good comeback fight for Claudia. That's if Carla actually takes the fight this time. Not only can this be a good rebound for Claudia if she wins but it's also Carla's chance to crack top five again and make her case for a title shot, she already has a win over Rose (well I mean, the Rose we see now is nothing like the Rose that was fighting back then... but still).

Strawweight isn't actually short on contenders at all, it just depends on who wins Rose / JJ 2. If JJ wins then I can see a Namajunas 3 or Herrig / Torres getting it if they win their bouts. If Rose retains then the winner of Andrade / Torres or Kowalkiewicz / Herrig... or they could have the winners of these bouts fight each other for the title shot.

Agreed on Macedo.
--
I'm going to post some new fights. Not a ton of them yet. I did notice a potential change in the weight of one already listed places.

Fight Result(s) -

2-8 Hannah Goldy def. Vanessa Marie-Grimes by TKO rd 2 at Island Fights 46: The Return of Roy Jones, Jr., Pensacola, Florida. (125)

Upcoming fights -

2-8 Hannah Goldy vs. Vanessa Marie-Grimes at Island Fights 46: The Return of Roy Jones, Jr., Pensacola, Florida. (125) Tapology listing this as 125 instead of 115 now.

2-10 Angelika Sobczuk vs. Anna Tarasknska at DKW, Chelm, Poland. (134) Ammy

2-10 Katie Koenig vs. Megan Stein at No Mercy 7, Mahnomen, Minnesota. (125) Ammy

2-10 Shenah Cobbert vs. Alexa Saverem at Combat Night 87, Jacksonville, Florida. (125) Ammy

(Cancelled) 2-10 Alyssa Krahn vs. Stephanie Alba, Fight Night – Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
(115)

2-10 WFF 37, Chandler, Arizona
Triana Lynch vs. Ciera Lopez (110) Ammy
Valerie Quinero vs. Shakira Lindsay (135) Ammy

2-10 Premier MMA Championship 6, Covington Kentucky. (NEW INFO - weights)
Shelby Mroz vs. Amanda Spencer (110) Ammy
Caitlin Schwab vs. Tori Adkins (135) Ammy

2-17 Aleksandra Wypych vs. Natalia Jedrysiak at DFN 3, Tluszcz, Poland. (125) Ammy

2-17 Kim (Kimberly) Bulow vs. Kylle Merger at XFO 62 (155) Ammy (I think I posted this one a few days ago but with another of Bulow's fights falling thru I figured I would just post to be sure.)

--
Esparza vs Gadelha? Long over due. Gadelha pulled out of their previously planned fights twice. Injury to her nose was one reason. Esparza didn't believe her. Make it happen. 8)

Last edited:
Macedo should honestly drop to 125. I feel like she could do really well, but then again WBW is wide open so if she can rack up a couple of wins, she could honestly be in title contention (I could say the same for Ladd or Smith).

I wonder if Gadelha is planning on coming back soon. She may have lost to Andrade but she's still #3 and arguably one of the best in the division. I know the Esparza / Ansaroff idea might be cray cray but Esparza could still be a good comeback fight for Claudia. That's if Carla actually takes the fight this time. Not only can this be a good rebound for Claudia if she wins but it's also Carla's chance to crack top five again and make her case for a title shot, she already has a win over Rose (well I mean, the Rose we see now is nothing like the Rose that was fighting back then... but still).

Strawweight isn't actually short on contenders at all, it just depends on who wins Rose / JJ 2. If JJ wins then I can see a Namajunas 3 or Herrig / Torres getting it if they win their bouts. If Rose retains then the winner of Andrade / Torres or Kowalkiewicz / Herrig... or they could have the winners of these bouts fight each other for the title shot.
Totally agree about Macedo but i think the most important thing is being active, idk why she is not fighting, anyone has some idea?

About WSW..
No way UFC gives Rose a immediate rematch, absolutely no way. Winner of KK-Herrig or Andrade-Torres would get it.
If Rose wins and Andrade does too, she's next in line. Gadelha and Torres are big wins, KK would be a good win too for Herrig but KK lost recently to Gadelha, not the same.

I hope Esparza accepts that Gadelha fight too, would be a good contest and makes sense.

Isis Verbeek is an out of left field Invicta signing. Weird, but fun. I don't know if her style will transfer directly as someone who favors muay thai rulesets, but she's a hitter. She's been fighting the absolute best fighters who fight under k-1 style rules (Amel Dehby/E Meidie/Anissa Meksen).

If you have a vpn, here's Verbeek's fight with Rena.
https://videotopics.yahoo.co.jp/videolist/official/sports/p0672b958d1b5321ff73ee29f59fc5ce0

Will probably always remember her showing up looking like an instagram rich girl at the Glory announcement while everyone else was just wearing jeans and yoga pants.

Super-_Bantamweights_-_Copy.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise Kielhotlz vs Lena Ovchynnikova is co-main of Bellator 196. Hooray for tape delay.
DVj_Pu_Cu_X4_AAlk_Cp.jpg

Last edited:

If / when it happens that's a good signing. Maia's a very good fighter. She can have a UFC fight (I'm terrible at match making but I know she'll impress). Also someone to fight Val regardless of whether or not Nicco's ready. I mainly enjoy watching good fights & am not as obsessed about title fights or titles. Of course everyone's chasing them because of the prestige and money and all and that's totally understandable too. I'm just glad there's opportunities for all the deserving women to keep fighting on all the promotions around the world and that we as fans have more chances to see them via the wonders of technology than at any time before in human history.

Kuma likes belts :)

Did you see Rose's recent interview where she was asked about what she's doing with her new belt? She said at home she keeps it in a closet because it has a powerful energy. It needs rest and only likes being brought out on special occasions, lol.

Can you imagine Cyborg vs. Sara Moras? If the UFC let Moras move to 145 lbs, wouldn't it possibly happen by default (due to lack of others in the division)?

Sarah Moras talks Lucie Pudilova, potential move to 145lbs & her cat "Tumbles"

Totally agree about Macedo but i think the most important thing is being active, idk why she is not fighting, anyone has some idea?

About WSW..
No way UFC gives Rose a immediate rematch, absolutely no way. Winner of KK-Herrig or Andrade-Torres would get it.
If Rose wins and Andrade does too, she's next in line. Gadelha and Torres are big wins, KK would be a good win too for Herrig but KK lost recently to Gadelha, not the same.

I hope Esparza accepts that Gadelha fight too, would be a good contest and makes sense.

I think Macedo is no near top 10.

Also Herrig hasn't win any one in top 8. And she has also lost to PVZ, which is humiliating. If KK can't win Felice, she is done. I get the picture, you say I don't know how good Felice is, but the fact is she has win streak over bums and lost to PVZ.

Jessica A should be next in line for title shot because of her victory over Claudia. She lost to champ, but after victory over Tecia she should have the title shot.

I think Macedo is no near top 10.

Also Herrig hasn't win any one in top 8. And she has also lost to PVZ, which is humiliating. If KK can't win Felice, she is done. I get the picture, you say I don't know how good Felice is, but the fact is she has win streak over bums and lost to PVZ.

Jessica A should be next in line for title shot because of her victory over Claudia. She lost to champ, but after victory over Tecia she should have the title shot.
Did you quote the right person? Haha i never said anything about Macedo ranking spot

Agree about Jessica!

Back