Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Is Yana Kunitskaya a true featherweight that cuts to bantamweight (she's listed as Bantamweight on the site), or is she gonna be undersized like the last few bantamweights that moved up to fight Cyborg?

I know Cyborg nearly killed herself to make 140 catchweight, so is this just a case of everyone looking undersized compared to Cyborg?
She’s comparable to Holly Holm in size

Sarah Moras talks about wanting to go up in weight class in this interview. That does not surprise me as she is pretty big for bantamweight. Good interview from her.

She needs to reduce her walk around weight. Her size is, well, let us just say she has a higher bodyfat percentage than most other competitive women in her weight class now. Going up in weight secondary to a lack of long-term discipline is a recipe for future beatings.

Is Yana Kunitskaya a true featherweight that cuts to bantamweight (she's listed as Bantamweight on the site), or is she gonna be undersized like the last few bantamweights that moved up to fight Cyborg?

I know Cyborg nearly killed herself to make 140 catchweight, so is this just a case of everyone looking undersized compared to Cyborg?

You already know the answer. She had no trouble making weight in either fight against Evinger recently.

The hype fight did exactly what it was meant to do. With the Hype built around Valentina they might get away with making this as a fight card sweetener on a PPV instead of a Fox/FS1 card headliner, like it would have been if it was Nicco with another unknown fighter like Sjara.

I agree. The 125 title fight now with Valentina involved is a great co-main event on a PPV or a main event for a FOX card.

Sarah Moras talks about wanting to go up in weight class in this interview. That does not surprise me as she is pretty big for bantamweight. Good interview from her.

Good post. This will be one of the side benefits from having a 145 division. It will permit bigger 135ers to move up, as well as attract larger females from other sports (e.g., boxing, wreslting, BJJ, basketball) to transition to MMA.

Does Tatiana Suarez have a clear pathway to titleshot at 115?

Dana doesn't seem to be willing to fasttrack her, she could be at least two years from a titleshot.

Would she have a shorter pathway to titleshot if she moves up to 125?

Here's Stamp Nadthawon's feature/tryout on ONE's Rich Franklin Looking for a Fight/TUF/Tuesday Contender Series mashup show.

She looked drained at the second Evinger fight and CSAC told her/Invicta/UFC that she was cutting too much weight after her last fight, with Raquel (Invicta's Raquel). She is certainly a big BW that should be at FW, if im not mistaken of her 14 fights she only has 5 at BW and probably because back then UFC had no 145 division. Cyborg haters will tell otherwise but that's the truth.

Does anyone know what a Women's Bantamweight really
walks around at since by my best guess is anywhere between
150-165 lbs.

I understand her reasoning for turning down the Valentina fight before but that ship has sailed. You gotta act when opportunities arise or you will be left behind.
She knows that, just saying she'd be down to, but in fact she would probably accept any fight they offer her, Maia is the yes-sir type of fighter.

Cheescake said it herself. She's good at hard sparring but fails at the diet and strength and conditioning aspect of fighting. The girl needs a serious body recomposition, not a weight class change.

Kuma likes belts :)

She is really talented, but I'm afraid that so called "Team Kuma" isn't working for her. She didn't show much improvement in her fight against Maia, I think it's time for her to seek help from a better camp now.

Does anyone know what a Women's Bantamweight really
walks around at since by my best guess is anywhere between
150-165 lbs.
It varies a lot like in any other division.

Nunes has said she walks around at 160-165, has to be one of the biggest
Holly has said 155 and 157 in the past, probably between 155-160
Cat has posted herself being 155 before a cut
Ronda was 152.5 on TUF but sometimes looked chubbier, probably 150-160
Miesha 142-144 in Strikeforce and 147-150 after bulking up
Pena claims below 150 but hard to know how legit...
Valentina although she's at FLW now, below 140 (stand Small and Proud! lol)

Could be a 20 lb difference in cage sometimes like Wonderboy (176) vs Woodley (around 195) in their first fight... well only if the smaller one is Valentina or Macedo.

Isis Veerbeek and Lisa Spangler the latest to sign to Invicta.

Isis Veerbeek and Lisa Spangler the latest to sign to Invicta.

The thought of the violence a Veerbeek vs Lookboonme fight would bring has my blood flowing.

Back