Multiplatform Official Sniper Elite 5 Discussion

File ver. 1.04 is now live across platforms; fixes include:
  • Fixed a crash when shooting the Machine Gun team loader before the gunner
  • Fixed an occasional crash when shooting into the water
  • Fixed players not receiving weapon attachments when visiting workbenches in Wolf Mountain DLC
  • Fixed Achievements/Trophies not always unlocking: Covert Elimination + Reich To The Point in the Wolf Mountain DLC
  • Player no longer gets stuck in reload animation
  • Fixed missing explosion sounds (for example, on the satchel charge)
  • Client no longer gets kicked after the first cutscene of some missions in co-op games.

This seems like a super cool mode. Ofc, I’d prefer only one assassin making his way in per level. Does the game tell you someone entered?

This seems like a super cool mode. Ofc, I’d prefer only one assassin making his way in per level. Does the game tell you someone entered?

Yeah, Rebellion gives you a red banner in top-left corner of screen with black Prussian Iron Cross, meaning someone is hunting for you. You can't save at all during invasion but can progress mission objectives as normal; you lose all progress after moment of invasion if they neutralise you, however – which has proven awful because the game can be tedious and you can be tracked for a long time, depending.

Yeah, Rebellion gives you a red banner in top-left corner of screen with black Prussian Iron Cross, meaning someone is hunting for you. You can't save at all during invasion but can progress mission objectives as normal; you lose all progress after moment of invasion if they neutralise you, however – which has proven awful because the game can be tedious and you can be tracked for a long time, depending.

One of the reviews I've seen said the maps were really big (almost too big). That's a big loss if you're nearing the end to have your whole level wiped. Must be for people who enjoy the hunt.

Beat SE5 tonight. Still going to be revisiting matters for challenges but got to keep it real because I love you guys and want you to know what you're getting into.

OST from third mission on is very evocative and inspired. Graphically, this is arguably one of the most beautiful titles I've ever played. I toyed with the camera and photo mode more than a few times in admiring some of the set-pieces they've designed, including one mission's seaside rocks after an amphibious entry that may as well be photorealistic as they're splashed with seawater. Just wow.

Game achievements are fully integrated with Sony's PS5 trophy-tracking system, BTW, showing progress percentages every bit of the way for every challenge and task. Great stuff to see where you're at, e.g., 9%, 11%, 99%.

Big negative and I have to say it. Gameplay. Is it fun? Meh. Yeah. Kind of. This is easily the least action-focused instalment in the series. Stealth is pushed too hard, IMO, and you're penalised for even not crouch-walking most of the maps. And I mean that literally: Walk or run in a beautiful field....no way, hold up, yep, some dude hears you, sees you, starts eyeing you. It never relents and I needed far too many breathers while playing just to keep me in the zone. Let us have some fun.

Rebellion are history buffs and I've followed them for years – but SE5 felt like the most beautiful and interesting game I never got excited to play.

Beat SE5 tonight. Still going to be revisiting matters for challenges but got to keep it real because I love you guys and want you to know what you're getting into.

OST from third mission on is very evocative and inspired. Graphically, this is arguably one of the most beautiful titles I've ever played. I toyed with the camera and photo mode more than a few times in admiring some of the set-pieces they've designed, including one mission's seaside rocks after an amphibious entry that may as well be photorealistic as they're splashed with seawater. Just wow.

Game achievements are fully integrated with Sony's PS5 trophy-tracking system, BTW, showing progress percentages every bit of the way for every challenge and task. Great stuff to see where you're at, e.g., 9%, 11%, 99%.

Big negative and I have to say it. Gameplay. Is it fun? Meh. Yeah. Kind of. This is easily the least action-focused instalment in the series. Stealth is pushed too hard, IMO, and you're penalised for even not crouch-walking most of the maps. And I mean that literally: Walk or run in a beautiful field....no way, hold up, yep, some dude hears you, sees you, starts eyeing you. It never relents and I needed far too many breathers while playing just to keep me in the zone. Let us have some fun.

Rebellion are history buffs and I've followed them for years – but SE5 felt like the most beautiful and interesting game I never got excited to play.

Thanks for the review, Val. Always hard when you only get a 50/50 out of a game. Crouch walking for the majority of it sounds like a monotonous time.

Sad to hear the bad stuff dude.

I've been taking a break from gaming recently as i just haven't been having as much fun as i'd like to.

I did decide to do mission 1 of Sniper Elite 4 on Authentic though. Tried to be a sneaky beaky and stealth around everywhere like i did on the previous difficulty, but ended up getting spotted and chased by 10-20 guys and shot from all sides and i was ducking for cover left and right. Most fun i've had in Sniper Elite 4 and it's all because my plan went down the drain.

Sad to hear the bad stuff dude.

I've been taking a break from gaming recently as i just haven't been having as much fun as i'd like to.

I did decide to do mission 1 of Sniper Elite 4 on Authentic though. Tried to be a sneaky beaky and stealth around everywhere like i did on the previous difficulty, but ended up getting spotted and chased by 10-20 guys and shot from all sides and i was ducking for cover left and right. Most fun i've had in Sniper Elite 4 and it's all because my plan went down the drain.
Appreciate it. Yeah, SE4 is such a gem; glad you dove into that one and are still wanting the Authentic gauntlet thrown down. I used to replay the SE4 Deathstorm expansion missions because I enjoyed skulking about in the mountainous Bavarian town so much – and sometimes getting a little loud, naturally. And that's the thing. In SE5, shootouts unfortunately aren't always worth your while (better to bleed out and deaggro) because you get proper laser-beamed by growing Jäger groups, nor fleeing for the same reason. How is this dude hitting me right now? Lol.

Updates (to include FOV options) and free DLC incoming:

Don't forget this is the successor to Sniper Elite from 2005. They're trying to get back to their roots rather than being generic shooters with some sniping action. The last 3 games were too run and gun, I miss the boring of the first Sniper Elite.
Similar to playing a game like Silent Hunter it's about the stalk and getting away with it.

Don't forget this is the successor to Sniper Elite from 2005. They're trying to get back to their roots rather than being generic shooters with some sniping action. The last 3 games were too run and gun, I miss the boring of the first Sniper Elite.
Similar to playing a game like Silent Hunter it's about the stalk and getting away with it.
The problem with that is their maps are bigger than ever here, which is at odds with going back to more linear roots in stealth play. I had quite a bit of fun with this game after going back for trophies and challenges post-campaign – but this instalment proved a tough game really to love for me. Very pretty though, to reiterate.

The problem with that is their maps are bigger than ever here, which is at odds with going back to more linear roots in stealth play. I had quite a bit of fun with this game after going back for trophies and challenges post-campaign – but this instalment proved a tough game really to love for me. Very pretty though, to reiterate.
What's the population of enemies like? is it few or many? It honestly sounds more appealing to me if they are large maps with scarcer enemies. Makes me feel more like a sniper on a mission than some ubersoldier tearing through the german war machine by myself.

What's the population of enemies like? is it few or many? It honestly sounds more appealing to me if they are large maps with scarcer enemies. Makes me feel more like a sniper on a mission than some ubersoldier tearing through the german war machine by myself.
You're more Swiss cheese in this than any sort Übersoldat, so no ripping and tearing. Enemy pop is misleading a bit because map density isn't at all bad (unless alarms trigger, then game over with trucks of Nazi reinforcements – stupid). The issue is visibility. You can be in an open field with no-one near, but if you're not crouch-walking in this empty space, a scout or manned spotlight will likely detect you or then a rooftop sniper you can't see grows suspicious. It's overdone, IMO. I was not embellishing when I'd said you are crouch-walking a majority of the maps. I reckon you'll like it though and not regret picking up; despite my whinging on the front, I had a good time at the end of the day but just never fell in love like I had with previous games in the series.

I've never played one of these games but it's free on GP so I'll probably try it out. The heavy emphasis on stealth sounds great as I feel no games really provide that type of gameplay anymore. It's always an "option" in games but not really focused on.

I've never played one of these games but it's free on GP so I'll probably try it out. The heavy emphasis on stealth sounds great as I feel no games really provide that type of gameplay anymore. It's always an "option" in games but not really focused on.

If you like stealth mechanics then you will love this game. It's like Splinter Cell meets WWII.

Damn that sounds amazing. This will be my next game after I finish Hellblade.

Sniper Elite 4 is also on Game Pass. I didn't beat it, but that one is a lot of fun as well. I discovered it a couple of months ago and jumped over to 5 after it became available. 4 got the Series X updated treatment (4K 60FPS) so it looks great too, but I would play 5 as it is a next gen title and has better graphics.

It kind of reminds me a little bit of Far Cry's Stealth mechanics too. As far as how you can tag your enemies with your scope or binoculars.

Updates are live and spoilered for size below:

• Removed some input delay and softened the edges of the deadzone for ‘aiming’ input. This should result in better fine aiming control.
• Various fixes to prevent the player falling or hanging through the floor, or getting stuck in the ‘falling’ animation
• Fixed general collision issues allowing players to walk through some walls in varying locations
• Various fixes to players getting stuck on ladders
• Fixed an issue preventing camera control when a player enters Photo Mode with ironsights
• The free cam has now been restricted slightly in Photo Mode, to avoid exploits during Axis Invasions
• Fixed an issue incorrectly allowing weapon scroll when using a mounted machine gun
• Med Kits will now work as expected on application
• The Precision Machines Receiver attachment will now correctly reduce speed rather than increase it
• The Austen Control Grip will now improve recoil recovery as expected
• Jeff Sullivan’s equipment will now appear as expected when selecting him as a playable character
• ‘Show Off’ and ‘Saboteur’ Medals should now unlock correctly
• Machine Gunners will no longer t-pose when shot
• Player can no longer equip weapons or binoculars when using a mounted machine gun
• Dead enemies hidden in crates no longer continue to move
• Player is no longer able to hide underwater in the Landing Zone Multiplayer map
• Grenades will no longer get stuck to the player’s hand when attempting to throw them
• Grenade arcs will no longer disappear unexpectedly
• Fixed an issue impacting the ability to use the Grenade hotkey
• Fixed an issue causing Herr Grunberg’s name to display incorrectly when looking at them through the binoculars
• The overpressure magazine now correctly lists ‘Increase Bullet Drop’ as a con
• Enemy AI will no longer disappear from the map when a cut scene gets triggered
• Booby-trapped bodies will now explode as expected
• Fixed an issue causing Flare Guns to slow down movement
• Players will no longer be able to obtain the Authentic Trophy by exploiting the ability to change difficulties in the pause menu
• Fixed an issue causing an inability to drop dead bodies on pick-up
• Fixed an issue causing AI to get caught in a consistent investigation loop
• Fruit boxes will no longer levitate or appear to multiply unexpectedly
• Fixed an issue in Survival Mode causing the crew in armoured vehicles to remain alive after the vehicle’s destruction, halting progression onto the next wave.
• Fixed an issue stopping the Satchel Charge from unlocking on completion of the campaign
• Fixed an issue causing a game crash when already exiting
• Fixed an issue some players were experiencing where Axis soldiers would get suck crouched in mid-air
• Fixed an issue causing birds to get stuck in place
• Fixed an issue causing wind to be disabled incorrectly in Campaign/Survival
• The trigger volume for Mines has now been increased to ensure they activate in range, regardless of human or vehicle targets
• Fixed an animation glitch causing an AI soldier to get off his bike after being shot, despite being dead
• Fixed an issue causing headlights to turn on and off based on the player’s proximity
• Microphone volume will no longer automatically return to 100% each time a player returns to game
• Additional minor bug fixes and improvements

Back