• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Spoilers Official Red Dead Redemption 2 Discussion

Really? Why? I'm still playing it after almost a year. Easily my favorite game ever. Granted I'm a pretty casual gamer.

because it's not even a "game." it plays itself. even if you try to fail, you will just checkpoint through missions while literally doing nothing. ie: putting the controller on the floor and taking a dump, come back and select restart. repeat. the mission will finish. aside from that, it's just going from one yellow blip to another. it was very linear. linear + literally no skill required = not a game, imo.

they put so much detail into hose testicles that they apparently forgot to make it an actual game.

edit: and the control scheme was terrible. L2 aims and R2 shoots... except when L2 doesn't aim, but does something else. which was... a lot.

He literally hates every game ever made. It's his schtick.

then explain why i liked the first red dead...

because it's not even a "game." it plays itself. even if you try to fail, you will just checkpoint through missions while literally doing nothing. ie: putting the controller on the floor and taking a dump, come back and select restart. repeat. the mission will finish. aside from that, it's just going from one yellow blip to another. it was very linear. linear + literally no skill required = not a game, imo.

they put so much detail into hose testicles that they apparently forgot to make it an actual game.

edit: and the control scheme was terrible. L2 aims and R2 shoots... except when L2 doesn't aim, but does something else. which was... a lot.

then explain why i liked the first red dead...

Theres a lot more than just going yellow blip to yellow blip. That's a shitty way to rush through the game.

I will admit the missions got a little repetitive with just head shotting NPCs constantly. But the massive world, the mysteries, the dialogue, the side missions, the character development....it was incredible.

You could spend weeks in a single chapter just doing the side missions and hunting and every time you go back to camp, you hear unique dialogue. It takes at least a few playthroughs of the story mode to really appreciate it.

The online has also really grown over the past year and it is very enjoyable. The last big update really brought a lot of new stuff.

You explain it, since your complaints about mission structure in this game could easily be applied to the original.

interesting, since the first game did not play itself. aside from one mission that was basically a cinematic for marston to die.

interesting, since the first game did not play itself. aside from one mission that was basically a cinematic for marston to die.

How does RDR2 "play itself" exactly? It's mission design and structure is not much different at all from the original.

Is this where you talk about one mission in the game that annoyed you, and relate it to the entire 100+ hour experience?

How does RDR2 "play itself" exactly? It's mission design and structure is not much different at all from the original.

i literally just told you. missions checkpoint with incremental completion, you can try to fail and still get pushed forward. even if you do literally nothing.

further, i literally explained WAY earlier in this thread, with very specific examples.

I don't quite agree with the stance of RDR2 playing itself but DO agree the missions had a lot more checkpoints in them than the last game but I think that's how ALL games that are open world sandboxes nowadays.

Also, it might be because I'm a fan of westerns but I got lost in the RDR2 environment for hours at a time and struggled to stop playing the game.

i literally just told you.

further, i literally explained WAY earlier in this thread, with very specific examples.

What you said is utter bullshit though. You're pretending that you can't fail missions in the game, when you absolutely can. If you die too many times, it will give you an option to skip over the sequence, but it's not even remotely close to what you're implying. No, you can't just set the controller down, and pass the missions. That's such an absurd statement, and anyone who's played the game knows that's bullshit. If you set the controller down, you will get killed. You don't just automatically get carried to the next checkpoint, like you're implying. You're just being your typical hysterical self.

Saying the game is easy would be fair, because it is, but it's not the same as saying it "plays itself" and puts no roadblocks in your way, like it requires no input from the player to advance in missions. That is just false.

Still though, it's not any less challenging than the original, which was also very easy and linear in its campaign structure. So again, why the love for the first game, and the hate for this one, based on their gameplay mechanics?

the mission structure is kind of rigid, it spells everything out for you exactly. npc's have potato aim. health goes down pretty slow. still like the game just wish it was more challenging

with a few exceptions the only times i've been killed is when i've entered dead or alive restricted areas, this ease of play should be remedied when i start playing online though

also, i never played the original and dgaf about john marston

arthur bless

What you said is utter bullshit though. You're pretending that you can't fail missions in the game, when you absolutely can. If you die too many times, it will give you an option to skip over the sequence,

OMG, SERIOUSLY? hahahhaa. you mean it's even WORSE than i realized?

and no, what i mean is literally doing nothing after the mission starts. then selecting 'restart' (or whatever the prompt was) and you'll likely have some progress. and repeat. it's stupid. the game is clearly designed for big baby "gamers" that don't/can't ACTUALLY play shit and just want to spend AAA money for 'the gaming experience.' ie: it's dumbed-down and trash. there's no skill required... at all. i mean, at all.

i didn't realize the game would just skip sequences. hahahahahaha. my god. how can you even argue against me on this one? you not only affirmed my criticism, you militarized it.

OMG, SERIOUSLY? hahahhaa. you mean it's even WORSE than i realized?

No. You just got caught lying, and are now trying to save face with your particular brand of hysterical nonsense.

and no, what i mean is literally doing nothing after the mission starts. then selecting 'restart' (or whatever the prompt was) and you'll likely have some progress. and repeat.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The mission structure is exactly that of modern Rockstar games, including RDR1. I suppose hitting restart may put you into the gameplay part of the mission, and skip the more cut-scene like stuff, but no, you cannot just hit "restart" and have it magically progress through the entire mission for you. That's just another lie from you.

it's stupid. the game is clearly designed for big baby "gamers" that don't/can't ACTUALLY play shit and just want to spend AAA money for 'the gaming experience.' ie: it's dumbed-down and trash. there's no skill required... at all. i mean, at all.

Sure, it's an easy game. That's not in dispute. RDR1 is piss easy too and requires little skill, but you liked that game, because it didn't "play itself" or whatever vague bullshit you want to infer on this one.

I think the only difference is, you weren't a try hard contrarian back in those days.

i didn't realize the game would just skip sequences.

Yeah, that's not what I said. It gives players an option. There's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of games have that option built into them.

hahahahahaha. my god. how can you even argue against me on this one? you not only affirmed my criticism, you militarized it.

More hysterical nonsense.

You still refuse to break down the big differences between this one and RDR1 in terms of it's mission structure that you find so appalling in RDR2, even though they're practically identical.

Like I said, you're just a try hard contrarian. It's your schtick. We all get it.

Last edited:
No. You just got caught lying, and are now trying to save face with your particular brand of hysterical nonsense.

...huh?

so you lied and i asked if it's actually worse and then you say that i was the one that lied? wow. troll smarter, please.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The mission structure is exactly that of modern Rockstar games, including RDR1. I suppose hitting restart may put you into the gameplay part of the mission, and skip the more cut-scene like stuff, but no, you cannot just hit "restart" and have it magically progress through the entire mission for you. That's just another lie from you.

wrong. and i mentioned it earlier in the thread. like almost a year ago. the first micah mission, when i realized i'm not even a required part of the "game."

also, you keep trying to cherrypick while somehow omitting the entire point. my criticism was linear structure PLUS no skill. complaining that other rockstar games have similar structure is moot when they actually require you to do something. ie: play it.

it was very linear. linear + literally no skill required = not a game, imo.

it's as if i said this, all along, or something. way to omit half the equation and pretend it's the same answer. x+y = shit.

you then assumed that x = shit.

edit:

Like I said, you're just a try hard contrarian. It's your schtick

lolz @ thinking this is a schtick. uberlolz @ thinking that having standards is a contrarian gimmick.

<{outtahere}>

Last edited:
also, you keep trying to cherrypick while somehow omitting the entire point. my criticism was linear structure PLUS no skill. complaining that other rockstar games have similar structure is moot when they actually require you to do something. ie: play it.

Again, RDR2 requires you to play it, much like all modern Rockstar games. No mater how many times you say "OMG! LOL! Not even a game. It plays itself", doesn't make it true. It makes you look like A) an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, or B) a troll.

I could understand you not liking easy games, or the Rockstar formula in general, but you keep saying you really liked RDR1, which has the exact same core structure within it's difficulty and mission design that you seem to find so appalling in this game. It kind of makes you seem, oh' I don't know, completely full of shit.

Again, RDR2 requires you to play it, much like all modern Rockstar games. No mater how many times you say "OMG! LOL! Not even a game. It plays itself", doesn't make it true. It makes you look like A) an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, or B) a troll.

I could understand you not liking easy games, or the Rockstar formula in general, but you keep saying you really liked RDR1, which has the exact same core structure within it's difficulty and mission design that you seem to find so appalling in this game. It kind of makes you seem, oh' I don't know, completely full of shit.
Definitely sounds like he’s full of shit.

sure, if "play" means go to yellow blip and then let it play itself via checkpoint/restarts, LIKE I SAID REPEATEDLY.

don't believe me? try it. i noticed it during the micah mission. but you should know this, already - because i mentioned it at least 3 times in this thread.

lolz @ STILL cherrypicking half of an equation and pretending it's the same as the full equation. ie: "exact same core structure"

Definitely sounds like he’s full of shit.

He can't even articulate his complaints. It's quite amusing.

@rob mafia - "LOL, not real game, OMG!. You don't even have to play the missions, LULZ. The game plays itself, ROFL!"

Sane Person - "What the fuck are you talking about? Of course you have to play it to progress."

RM - "Nuh-uh, there's like some restart thingy that beats the game for you!"

Sane Person - <JagsKiddingMe>

RM - "LOL! ROFL! LULZ! OMG! You totally proved my point! LOLOLOLOL!!!"

so i just looked it up and not only is there the checkpoint bs that i mentioned, but yeah - the game even gives an option to skip to the next checkpoint (like you said, and then implied you were lying about and accused me of lying or something).

your argument has no legs. skill/play literally not required.

@HereticBD

Sane Person - "What the fuck are you talking about? Of course you have to play it to progress."

...except when you don't. like in rdr2.

lolz @ "sane person" amidst a wall of strawman to rabidly defend a video "game" from year old criticism in a losing argument on a mma website.

<[analyzed}>

Last edited:
Back