Official Judo Thread

I'm saying the out-of-bounds incidents don't dominate matches at the top level.
Everybody thinks the ref can simply penalize the tactic but it's too difficult to determine. How many matches have you seen where the grip fighting ends up taking both athletes to the edge of the mat and on the drop whoever is losing the exchange scoots out of bounds?
Its pretty annoying

Thanks for showing us one example from 2(?) Oympics ago of Ortiz, whose use of the crawl was a deciding factor in them disallowing it as an escape from action.
While out of bounds incidences dont "dominate tactics at the top level" they still cause an inherent problem with the sport as you can get to the edge of the mat and have a Make Believe reprieve. Being shoved out of a boundary line is an extremely efficient way to score a grappling match because it's so simple that anyone can understand it at a glance and it causes massive throws to occur since there's so much more pushing and leaning. There's a reason some of the most spectacular photos ever taken come from Sumo. If getting pushed out of the contest area was a big deal in Judo you would see much more spectacular throws because opponents would be pushing into eachother. it's one of several reasons you see far more amazing throw action out of International wrestling then you do in folks style because in folk style you're allowed to weasel your way out of the mat just like Judo And the referee has to use their opinion to Levy penalties confusing the hell out of the general audience. If you don't believe the edge of mat criteria creates big throws you need to watch a few hours of international wrestling and Sumo then get back to me

Robert Drysdale description of the BJJ lineage.

v19094xzhdp51.jpg

"
Why did he put Western Wrestling up there but ignore the guys at Luta Livre in their relationship with the Gracies?!

Takeo Yano didn't learn from Kodokan, but from Dai Nippon Butoku Kai, didn't he?

Why should we accept speculation about the Gracie teacher being Maeda?

What is the reason for saying that they did not learn from Maeda, when; Maeda worked at their father's circus, had a gym in the city (small if I'm not mistaken) where they lived, and I imagine that if Donato Pires, (student at maeda, right?), was the one who taught, then it was at the gym of Maeda, soon they were part of it. (The other option is that they learned outside their hometown, but what are the chances based on all the things above?).

He, understandably, also did not mention the CACC teacher that Kano asked to teach grappling to his students, Pop Moore student of Frank Gotch, I'm just saying that because he put wrestling up there.

"
What do you guys think?

Anyone here an Australian judoka? Looking for a great club recommendation in Brisbane

Opinions on this video? Not the best demonstration of techniques shown here..

Interesting to see so many drop seoi-nages. I've not done any grappling with the gi apart from judo so I can't speak from experience but they all looked vulnerable to it.

That HL was awesome.

Saulo Ribeiro was a huge drop seio guy and has a whole instructional on it. In his later game he used to stall a ton on the feet grip fighting and spamming drop seio. Effective but boring AF to watch.

Is there any way to watch Maruyama vs Abe live / with minimal spoiling ?

Is it the whole thing that starts at 15h Japanese time or is it Abe / Maruyama?
Here's the full fight on Youtube. I hope there aren't any spoilers in the title (I can't read Japanese). Match starts at 1:16.

It's a long match, so make sure you have some time before watching

Here's the full fight on Youtube. I hope there aren't any spoilers in the title (I can't read Japanese). Match starts at 1:16.

It's a long match, so make sure you have some time before watching

Thanks dude. Well that was fucking long.

Back