Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

Shit didn’t go our way this weekend but it was a huge improvement from our last outing a few years ago. I’ve still got high hopes for him.

For the sake of accountability I’ll dm you guys my proof/credentials and you can do thare same. Nothing against aspiring coaches/trainers/gym owners or back yard and basement enthusiasts, but I’d prefer to keep it to guys who operate in a more official capacity
My Brother is the supervisor of the South Pacific IBO, as high as an official can get.
I have trained for 44 years, lived in Muay Thai camps, trained under legends in Muay Thai and catch wrestling.
Unfortunately I don’t hold any official documents claiming I know a thing or 2.
With 44 years and no papers what do I know.
Far more experienced then my brother but I guess I need a document otherwise I’m not worth the time of day apparently

My Brother is the supervisor of the South Pacific IBO, as high as an official can get.
I have trained for 44 years, lived in Muay Thai camps, trained under legends in Muay Thai and catch wrestling.
Unfortunately I don’t hold any official documents claiming I know a thing or 2.
With 44 years and no papers what do I know.
Far more experienced then my brother but I guess I need a document otherwise I’m not worth the time of day apparently
easy friend. No one trying to russel your Jimmies. The coaches and trainers on the forum were looking for a way to vet each other. Guys have sent me links to their social media profiles, fights they’ve cornered, it’s not official by any means.

How did you guys get into coaching. I have been boxing for a while now, only had one fight and always wanted to coach. Gym I am training at has multiple coach who are young, they teach classes and complete them self. I am gonna start going to tournaments with them and shadow, what they are doing. I appreciate any feedback.

How did you guys get into coaching. I have been boxing for a while now, only had one fight and always wanted to coach. Gym I am training at has multiple coach who are young, they teach classes and complete them self. I am gonna start going to tournaments with them and shadow, what they are doing. I appreciate any feedback.
you’ve got the right idea. I’ve always been a fan of a free education, and most coaches/trainers are happy to pick up an assistant and trade know how for help with classes and around the gym.

talk to the owner or head coach first and let them know you’re interested in learning more about coaching. With their blessing you can approach one of the other coaches and tell the same thing. Ask if you can help them and learn

One thing I have learned over the years and through discussions on this forum to take into consideration is that coaching isn't fighting. So just as we look at the experience of a fighter, we'd also want to look at the experience of a coach. Coaching experience I think is something overlooked and underated. The guy with a few fights and coaching for 15 years is probably going to be a better coach than the champ that has been coaching for a year. Regardless of what it is your doing, experience is key.

One thing I have learned over the years and through discussions on this forum to take into consideration is that coaching isn't fighting. So just as we look at the experience of a fighter, we'd also want to look at the experience of a coach. Coaching experience I think is something overlooked and underated. The guy with a few fights and coaching for 15 years is probably going to be a better coach than the champ that has been coaching for a year. Regardless of what it is your doing, experience is key.
amen Man. It’s a completely different skill set. Often times the knowledge is the same but the application is wildly different. I look at guys like James Krause who was a good, solid, middle of the road ufc fighter that retired to coach and has done a phenomenal job at it. I think time on the mat is important and some competitive experience as well but at the end of the day I’ll take an obsessive nerd over a retired world champ 9 times out of ten

@JustBleed69 if you ever want to talk shop we’ve got a handful of coaches, gym owners and trainers here in this thread
Hell yeah! I am only a purple belt, but compete around 6xs a year and instruct
wrestling at the academy I train at, as well as for local schools.
Not that anyone cares, but figured I'd at least fill people in on where I'm at!

Hell yeah! I am only a purple belt, but compete around 6xs a year and instruct
wrestling at the academy I train at, as well as for local schools.
Not that anyone cares, but figured I'd at least fill people in on where I'm at!
wrasslin coaches are people too! Just not as sexy as us striking coaches.

welcome my dude

@Sinister updates dude! How are the kids coming along as boxers? Where are you working out of? Any of your old team from Toccos still with you? How’s your new crop coming along?

What happened around here? Seems dry

That's pretty sad. Maybe I have another goal for returning. This place used to be poppin

I’ve got two amateurs fighting tonight. Ones a novice at 165, the other is competing open for some belt at 132.

drove 2 hours, now waiting in line for medicals and weigh ins. Always so much waiting at these things.

Update: both boxers made weight. There off to get breakfast while I wait some more for the coaches meeting.

Last edited:
Hope everything goes well

Hope everything goes well
thanks coach. We won the First fight via tko. Our Team captain who’s a pretty good Boxer Puncher. Once he realized he was safe (he has a habit of over estimating everyone) he got to work and put him away in the first.

the 132lb kid is stepping up in weight and competition. I’m nervous about that one. Sam is a rough and rowdy pressure fighter with a giant gas tank. He’s supposed to be an mma fighter but is recovering from knee surgery so he’s on loan for now. He’s beat some stiff competition before, his last fight he decisioned last years Washington state GG champ.

this was going to be a tune up fight but with a last minute opponent switch we ended up with a test instead.

edit: oh Shit, benevidez sr. is here, I think with an ammy team. Wild.

Update: we won our second bout. Sub novice but they gave us a pretty beefy belt! Haha

Last edited:
Back