Officer charged in Milwaukee shooting

I disagree with this charge.

This officer is being railroaded...sacrificial lamb.

the time between the two shots was 1.69 seconds. when you're chasing a fleeing suspect with a gun in his hand....adrenaline is pumping....emotions running high...

From the article it sounds like the first shot was justified but the kill shot was an execution. Cop sounds like scumbag who was also drugging and sexually assaulting dudes.

Cops aren't perfect. It's tough being a cop. Especially today's atmosphere.

He's gonna be enemy #1, so I'll pray for him.

I disagree with this charge.

This officer is being railroaded...sacrificial lamb.

the time between the two shots was 1.69 seconds. when you're chasing a fleeing suspect with a gun in his hand....adrenaline is pumping....emotions running high...
I agree he's being railroaded. And these rape accusations are fishy too. They just HAPPEN to come to light after he's involved in a shooting?

Much more dubious shootings have led to no charges filed. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I agree he's being railroaded. And these rape accusations are fishy too. They just HAPPEN to come to light after he's involved in a shooting?

Much more dubious shootings have led to no charges filed. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

He took video and photos of himself sodomizing one of the victims who was clearly unconscious. I have read the indictment and it is not pretty on the sexual assault charges.

He took video and photos of himself sodomizing one of the victims who was clearly unconscious. I have read the indictment and it is not pretty on the sexual assault charges.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good.
When I read it all I could think of is how fucked he is. I don't see the DA offering him a plea deal on the SAs. He will get at least 20 yrs and spend it in Waupon or Columbia most likely and the inmates will tear him up.

Selfie culture claims yet another victim. Remember kids, never take digital evidence while raping your drugged victims.

Sounds like dude needs to fry on the sexual assault charges alone.

sounds like a good shoot and a bad sodomy. I don't really have enough info on either, but 1.67 seconds between a good shot and a bad shot? It's possible I guess, but not probable.

I'm just happy that for once, we can discuss the real issue and not have to bicker about whether this was race related.

I have not seen the camera footage(is there somewhere we can find it?) but I'm a bit skeptical that a man can fire two shots 1.6 seconds apart and call "self defense" and the other one "murder".

I mean anyone who has fired a gun knows that when you focus on your front sight, as shooters are trained to do, that your target is blurry. Depending on circumstances, it may have been easy to see the suspect raise his arm, but miss him throwing the gun. And then there's the whole adrenaline dump thing.

Wow well regardless of if he's convicted in the shooting, he probably won't see the light of day again on the SA charges.

Interesting how he's being charged for the follow up shot, I wonder if we're gonna see more of that. Here in Toronto we had a high profile case where a cop shot a guy on a streetcar, and he was convicted of second-degree murder based on the second round of shots (he dropped the kid with a couple of shots, then emptied the clip on him when he was lying on the floor). But those sexual assaults though...

<6>

This fucker deserves life in prison just for that. Hopefully he gets "accidentally" left in a room with a bunch of lifers who know that he's a popo.

Also, sounds like the world isn't missing much by this Smith character pushing up daisies.

Interesting how he's being charged for the follow up shot, I wonder if we're gonna see more of that. Here in Toronto we had a high profile case where a cop shot a guy on a streetcar, and he was convicted of second-degree murder based on the second round of shots (he dropped the kid with a couple of shots, then emptied the clip on him when he was lying on the floor). But those sexual assaults though...

<6>

This fucker deserves life in prison just for that. Hopefully he gets "accidentally" left in a room with a bunch of lifers who know that he's a popo.

Also, sounds like the world isn't missing much by this Smith character pushing up daisies.
He is currently in restrive housing with a suicide smock. He will spend a lot of time in RHU for personal safety.

I used to work in the DOC for WI and he will be in trouble at max institutions and will take hissex offender programming at the institution I worked in.

Sounds like the charges are good .

The guy threw away the gun and he still shot him so he saw the guy was not armed and not a threat.

We will have to see what the defense comes up in with.

This like a situation we have been over before.

A guy is armed with a knife and about 25 to 30 away from you and you are facing each other.

You raise the weapon and at the same time the person throws the knife at you.
You see the knife leave the person's hand before you have the gun sited.

Do you shoot?

If you shoot was it legally justified?

This more of an exercise more then a real life situation.

Dirty little stroker...po po down with the poo poo

From the article it sounds like the first shot was justified but the kill shot was an execution. Cop sounds like scumbag who was also drugging and sexually assaulting dudes.

As @LogicalInsanity said, there was less than 2 seconds between the shots. Can you honestly say that one was justified, but the second was an execution with less than two seconds of time between them? That's clearly not enough time to think.

I think this is a bullshit charge. He shot a man with a gun, and just because the gun fell down during the shooting doesn't make him a murderer. I'm usually on the other side of this argument because police brutality is through the roof, but this sounds like a load of shit.

On the rape stuff, I have no idea about any of that. I'm sure the fact that he videotaped himself assaulting someone who was unconscious doesn't speak well for his character.

Last edited:
As @LogicalInsanity said, there was less than 2 seconds between the shots. Can you honestly say that one was justified, but the second was an execution with less than two seconds of time between them? That's clearly not enough time to think.

The video shows Smith rise back to his feet with the gun still in his right hand and Smith turns his head and upper body towards the officers. He then raises the gun upward while looking in the direction of the officers and throws the gun over the fence into the yard."

According to the criminal complaint, the body camera video "shows Smith falls to his back, with his legs and arms going up towards his head in what appears to be a half backwards roll. P.O. Heaggan-Brown is observed standing a short distance from Smith with his weapon pointed down at Smith when Heaggan-Brown discharges a second shot from his weapon at what appears to be Smith's chest."

A review of the body camera video "confirms that at the time of the second shot, Smith was unarmed and had his hands near his head."

Think? Think that he shouldn't shoot an unarmed man? Vision works pretty much instantaneously. If he say the gun go over the fence (as the body cam suggests) then that's plenty of time to comprehend that the object causing so much fear is no longer a threat to be used by the man laying on the ground (and on the opposite side of a fence).

I bet you consider that amount of time plenty enough to make quick decisions when you're following someone in traffic. Regardless, this is what jury trials are for and it sounds like there's enough evidence to warrant one.

Think? Think that he shouldn't shoot an unarmed man? Vision works pretty much instantaneously. If he say the gun go over the fence (as the body cam suggests) then that's plenty of time to comprehend that the object causing so much fear is no longer a threat to be used by the man laying on the ground (and on the opposite side of a fence).

I bet you consider that amount of time plenty enough to make quick decisions when you're following someone in traffic. Regardless, this is what jury trials are for and it sounds like there's enough evidence to warrant one.
Reaction time between sight and action is probably over 1.6 seconds. Brain has to see and then adapt and tell the body what to do.

I bet you've never shot someone have you? Two seconds in between shots isn't that much time at all, and it's very likely that he didn't see much after the first shot went off. It's not like weaving through traffic for fucks sake.

Back