Of a certain age and want help getting started

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I'm trusting that this forum is not here to shit on people who have no idea what they are talking about :)

This is the first time I've posted here since I don't train any martial art or even for fitness for that matter. I walk a lot but that's about it. Please forgive my ignorance.

Here's the thing. I've always had issues trying to increase strength. In fact, I put on weight very slowly even when I stop exercising altogether and pig out. I tried lifting heavy things for about a year along with consuming protein drinks with my normal diet and didn't gain a pound; apparently had no more strength after than before either. I've been told I was probably doing it incorrectly but no one has ever suggested what the right way is. I know genetics has a lot to do with it as well. I'm hardly what you call a mesomorph. Think instead of an out of shape Nate Diaz, i.e. 6' and around 150-160lbs. This is normal for me though; I've weighed the same since I was a teenager. Please understand that I am not trying to turn into a body builder. I just want to increase upper body strength so I can get to a point where I'm not completely useless after a small amount of exertion.

I'm afraid I'm po' so I can't afford to join a gym or get 1 on 1 training. At some point, I'd like to find a beginner's level dojo or what have you but for now, I really need some simple exercises that will be effective. I thought the ones I was doing would be after researching them on the web, but as I said, they apparently didn't do a thing.

I would appreciate any advice but the more specific and simple the better, please. I really don't have the first clue where to start.

First clue: read the FAQ

Second, how consistently were you training and what type of training did you do?

What does your "certain age" have to do with your questions?

Simplest way to work around not affording a gym membership is to invest in an olympic barbell and some weight plates. Second (or third or fourth) hand will do the job you need them to do just as well.

If you are having problems gaining weight, then visit the D&S subforum and read the FAQ's there as well.

I'm trusting that this forum is not here to shit on people who have no idea what they are talking about :)

Guess again!

If you read the FAQ's you will get some idea of what you are talking about and we won't have to shit on you.

Thanks. Honestly, for some idiotic reason it didn't even occur to me.

*shits on juaquine phoenix*

If you do the research and then have questions, people will be happy to help you. If you go, "Well I have no idea what to do. Tell me everything and give it to me on a silver platter." People will be annoyed and flame you. Especially since a lot of that info has been given to you in the FAQ's. If you have read them since you made this thread, go ahead and ask any clarifying questions.

Sorry to say it, but if you're not willing to figure out how to afford a gym membership, you're really not that interested in training.

I know genetics has a lot to do with it as well. I'm hardly what you call a mesomorph. Think instead of an out of shape Nate Diaz, i.e. 6' and around 150-160lbs.

Genetics is a crutch, I've said it before. Your strength is not predetermined. Neither is your ability.

I'm 6'2, and when I graduated high school I weighed (and I'm not remotely joking) 135lbs. Now I weigh close to 235lbs.

You will find out that people like you and I have to work smarter than others. The faq here is a decent place to start, as mentioned several times above.

Back