Obtaining the S-Mount

JJd2sc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've had a really hard time getting into the S mount. Whenever I manage to get there, I know plenty of chokes and can hit armbars regularly, just getting there is the problem. The number one thing that seems to happen is I drive my left knee up, and as I do that, they come back down onto their back more. This leaves them completely flat, and me sliding back down to normal mount. What am I doing wrong when I try and set this up?

as you drive your knee up, try pulling him onto the other side. So if your driving your left knee up placing your foot it at his hip and your right knee behind his head, pull his left arm up and turn him onto his right side. Since he seems to be going flat, use some force and pull him up

Fake the cross collar choke or for no-gi attack the neck in general.

Honestly it's hard as hell IMHO. Any experienced opponent will fight like the devil to prevent you from getting it -- nobody lets their elbows get pushed up and turned on their side in mount. I'd love to hear some tips.

Fake the cross collar choke or for no-gi attack the neck in general.

If you are in the S-mount then your body should be perpendicular to his. Make sure you're turning your chest toward his head as you are sliding your knee up.

Thanks for the tips so far guys, going to try out pulling them up more as I slide right now.

Work double thumb-in cross collar chokes (Like Saulo shows) or work the Americana and when he defends slightly, you're free to go. Also, when the guy goes for an elbow escape, you can move to S-mount to the other side.

I was taught this two weeks ago (no-gi), but usually if you try an americana from mount, the guy's going to grab his attacked arm, which makes him turn a little to that side; that's the moment you use to drive up the knee. I haven't been able to pull it off, but I think that's a pretty logical way to go about doing it, attack the other arm, when he goes to defend, quickly work the entry.

I was taught this two weeks ago (no-gi), but usually if you try an americana from mount, the guy's going to grab his attacked arm, which makes him turn a little to that side; that's the moment you use to drive up the knee. I haven't been able to pull it off, but I think that's a pretty logical way to go about doing it, attack the other arm, when he goes to defend, quickly work the entry.

That's what I do and it works wonders. I always go for the Americana by trying to push my opponents thumb into their shoulder. The preassure makes them drop their knuckle to the mat and I can finish.

When they try to defend I place my keylocking hand on their elbow while my other hand keeps control of their wrist. Than I shove my knee up like a battering ram and try to get that knee to touch my opponents ear.

I switch my grip to my opponents elbow so I can butterfly it the second I start moving my knee. When I start adjusting my knee, any opponent who has seen the S-mount before will start countering, and they often counter by underhooking your leg using their arm that is being attacked. You can always go for a mounted triangle if they do, but it annoys me so I make sure my hand is cupping the attacked elbow well in advance, that way you can butterfly it out and curl your leg in to complete the S properly.

From their it's tapoutpalooza.

^ Awesome, gonna try this tonight at class.

EDIT: Hey guys, check this vid out, definitely helpful:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bu24EDFlAdg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bu24EDFlAdg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Blocking his head to prevent him from moving up and away is a good start then start threatening with attacks.

Back