• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Obscurish good movies

Barfly is from 35 years ago, it had a limited release and won no awards. The only people who would know or care about it these days are Charles Bukowski fans or Mickey Rourke fans. I don't think it is even available on any streaming service.

Or, you guessed it...

Far-From-Over-Frank-Stallone.jpg

Shattered - Bob Hoskins
Breakdown - Kurt Russell
Dolls - 80s horror
Unlawful Entry - Ray Liota
Pacific Heights - Michael Keaton

Mixed Nuts.
It was a box office flop and the critics were very negative about it too but it's a very funny zany comedy with a star studded cast as well.

I'd say as much as anything just came out at the wrong time, more caustic witty films were falling out of fashion in favour of either slapstick or toothless romcoms.

Last edited:
Strangeland - fucked up Dee Snyder film that was a solid ten years ahead of its time.

Basketball Diaries- under rated little drug movie.

Gleaming the Cube- 1989 skateboarding murder mystery featuring you Christian slater. Not sure if it is "obscure" enough

"Beautiful Girls" - maybe not super obscure but I think it flies under the radar relative to the quality of the film.

Great cast:
Uma Thurman
Matt Dillton
Timothy Hutton
Lauren Holly
A young Natalie Portman
Michael Rappaport
Mira Sorvino
Etc...

Last edited:
Mixed Nuts.
It was a box office flop and the critics were very negative about it too but it's a very funny zany comedy with a star studded cast as well.

I watch that movie every December! Even though it is about a suicide prevention hotline on Christmas Eve, and the story involves death and a serial killer, I still consider it a holiday season movie. Steve Martin and Madeline Kahn are great in it

In the Line of Fire, I saw that in theaters... 30 years ago.

Even back then, it seemed ridiculous to me that 60-something Clint Eastwood was portrayed as sexually irresistible to 30-something Rene Russo.

Well 30 years later he was irresistible at 90 to a 40 year old MILF in Cry Macho.

Well 30 years later he was irresistible at 90 to a 40 year old MILF in Cry Macho.

Really?? Ugh glad I missed that one. 50-year age gap, that has got to be the record for on-screen love interest

Kill List (2011)
Solaris (2002)
The Descent (2005)
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Two movies with one main actor and one set.
Triangle (2009)
The Collector (2009)

Has anyone mentioned The Cabin in the Woods (2011)?

Threads (1984)

This British film is a cold, clinical portrayal of the lead up to a nuclear attack on a civilian population, and the terrible aftermath. The lack of a musical score gives it a documentary feel. Some consider it more of a horror movie than a disaster movie. A kind of nightmare. Utterly bleak, with no levity or sentiment.

Full movie on Youtube:

Happiness (1998)

People are weird. That seems to be the running theme in the work of writer/director Todd Solondz, and this controversial satire is a prime example.

The meandering plot follows the lives of three adult sisters and their respective families. Every relationship seems uncomfortable, every conversation seems incredibly awkward, every character is perverse or dealing with issues.

Watch it if you want to challenge your tolerance of weirdos. But I won't blame you if you can't finish it.

Full movie on Youtube:

Nightbreed (1990)

The production on this fantasy horror movie was notoriously troubled. Director Clive Barker (creator of Hellraiser and Candyman) said his vision for the film was compromised by the studio, who wanted a slasher horror typical of the era, while he imagined a much more other-worldly movie.

The story follows an escaped mental patient who discovers there is an underground realm populated by inhuman entities. Meanwhile, a serial killer stalks the regular world. Plenty of impressive creature makeup and David Cronenberg in a supporting role.

Full movie on YouTube:

Back