NYPD shoots man for refusing to take hands out of pockets

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://pix11.com/2015/01/17/police-shoot-armed-man-in-east-flatbush/

The plain-clothed officers were patrolling the East Flatbush area in an unmarked police car Friday around 9:38 p.m. when they saw a 1999 black Ford Ecoline van illegally operating as a livery cab and picking up a passenger on Avenue D and Utica Avenue.

When the officers stopped the van at Utica Avenue and Foster Avenue, they noticed 29-year-old Marlon Cox in the front seat with his hands inside his pockets. Cox refused to comply with multiple orders to remove his hands from the inside of his jackets, and the officers opened the passenger-side door.

The officers struggled with Cox as he continued to hide his hands in his pockets. When they discovered a .25 caliber Raven Arms handgun in his hand, one officer fired his gun once, grazing Cox in the right arm.

We know many unarmed people have been killed for this reason, but you cant really blame the officers for expecting aggression.

Another officer was killed for a similar reason.

When an officer tells you to take your hands out of your pockets, and then draws his weapon, I think its a pretty good idea to do so.

http://fox2now.com/2015/01/15/body-camera-captures-final-moments-of-police-officers-life/

“Mind if I just pat down your pockets real quick, you don’t have anything in here?” Officer Stewart asks. Smith replies, “No, no, no.”
It’s during that exchange that Smith pulls a gun out of his coat pocket and shoots Stewart.

Smith had his hands in his coat pockets while talking to Officer Stewart. 3TV asked Fredrickson about that and whether Officer Stewart should have patted him down when he first asked him about weapons.

The article doesnt say anything about the driver pointing the gun at them, so they shot this guy for operating a cab without a licence or some shit? Just like they choked the guy to death for selling cigs without tax?

I wouldnt blame the driver for keeping his hand on a weapon when police are nearby, they have a proven history of killing people for no reason. look at eric garner, and the recent video in the war room, the boyd shooting. they are dangerous people and you should always be on alert and scared for your life when they come to "talk" to you.

The article doesnt say anything about the driver pointing the gun at them, so they shot this guy for operating a cab without a licence or some shit? Just like they choked the guy to death for selling cigs without tax?

I wouldnt blame the driver for keeping his hand on a weapon when police are nearby, they have a proven history of killing people for no reason. look at eric garner, and the recent video in the war room, the boyd shooting. they are dangerous people and you should always be on alert and scared for your life when they come to "talk" to you.

With such astute observation, surely you have some idea why K-mart let you go. Hey, their loss, bro.

Grazed his right arm? Can these cans please tighten up their standards at the range? And I can't have a worthy opinion on the shooting without seeing how it went down. It may have been unnecessary, it may have been very necessary.

I can never tell if people are trolling, have some kind of strange vendetta against police that takes their common sense out of play or are just really dumb when they make statements like this... Or if it's a combination of the three.

With such astute observation, surely you have some idea why K-mart let you go. Hey, their loss, bro.

Fitting avatar

btw it was sears, not k-mart. get your facts straight. I have too much self respect to work at a place like k-mart. jeez

I can never tell if people are trolling, have some kind of strange vendetta against police that takes their common sense out of play or are just really dumb when they make statements like this... Or if it's a combination of the three.

all I see in the news regarding police is negative, all I ever seen in real life regarding police have been negative, so all I can do is assume negative things about them.

all I see in the news regarding police is negative, all I ever seen in real life regarding police have been negative, so all I can do is assume negative things about them.

And that's your opinion... Which is fine. But surely you must realize how ridiculous that statement you made is. I refuse to believe anyone really thinks a cop killed this man over cigarettes. Is that what you believe?

Why are police even in the business of interfering with a private transaction between adults? It's none of the state's business. Oh, I forgot, it's about revenue.

Why are police even in the business of interfering with a private transaction between adults? It's none of the state's business. Oh, I forgot, it's about revenue.

It absolutely was the police officers business and someone like Eric Garner doesn't just decide he's not going to be arrested for doing something he doesn't see a problem with when it's against the law. People will be taken under arrest by force... every... single.... time if resisting. Hopefully, police are better trained to do so without seriously injuring citizens in the future. But they had every right to use force to arrest him (Not a chokehold) and you seem to be confused about the job of Police Officers. It's to enforce the law... Your beef is with the state, not the people sworn to uphold those laws. If you want to argue about the states cigarette regulation, that's a topic that has nothing to do with the Police. How is it that you don't see that? I disagree with you on most issues, but you're not an idiot... Or do you see it and just feel compelled to keep spouting rhetoric which is completely ridiculous because you dislike police?

The police are in their rights to shoot you for reaching for your weapon. You don't need to pointing it at them. If they always waited until the weapon was draw and aimed, they are too late.

Grazed his right arm? Can these cans please tighten up their standards at the range? And I can't have a worthy opinion on the shooting without seeing how it went down. It may have been unnecessary, it may have been very necessary.

Even a trained shooter can make mistakes. Especially in real life self defense situations where fear and adrenaline are pumping through you.

Even in Iraq we knew to carry a drop weapon.

And that's your opinion... Which is fine. But surely you must realize how ridiculous that statement you made is. I refuse to believe anyone really thinks a cop killed this man over cigarettes. Is that what you believe?

This isn't completely true. There's plenty of reason to believe that the police will be aggressive, choose not to deescalate a situation, and/or be negligent. Not to mention quotas and profiling that surely rustle communities as well.

It absolutely was the police officers business and someone like Eric Garner doesn't just decide he's not going to be arrested for doing something he doesn't see a problem with when it's against the law. People will be taken under arrest by force... every... single.... time if resisting. Hopefully, police are better trained to do so without seriously injuring citizens in the future. But they had every right to use force to arrest him (Not a chokehold) and you seem to be confused about the job of Police Officers. It's to enforce the law... Your beef is with the state, not the people sworn to uphold those laws. If you want to argue about the states cigarette regulation, that's a topic that has nothing to do with the Police. How is it that you don't see that? I disagree with you on most issues, but you're not an idiot... Or do you see it and just feel compelled to keep spouting rhetoric which is completely ridiculous because you dislike police?

Well, they definitely can be looked into for violating the 4th amendment. See the CDP or Floyd, et al. v. City of New York. Then there's simply violating the dept's regulations and not getting dealt with due to a negligent administration. Plus, a population can scrutinize the police if it believes they are using more force than necessary in general.

Personally, I don't know why people keep using Garner in their arguments. There are much better recent cases.

Even in Iraq we knew to carry a drop weapon.

I name all of my drop weapons. I have gone through three of them. Mostly, snub-nosed .38s with tape around the grip. I am currently carrying one I call the Stoic 1. It is a beat up 1911 Colt with "Stop reading my mind-Get out of my head" written on the taped grip.

No tin foil wrap, Bro?

Dissappoint.

Even a trained shooter can make mistakes. Especially in real life self defense situations where fear and adrenaline are pumping through you.

It's interesting how so many of the last year's cop shootings were shown by videos to be done in a total panic. The gas station shooting in Ferguson (guy runs backwards and trips), the gas station shooting elsewhere when the cop unloaded on the guy (he couldn't hit the earth on a high gravity day), Wilson's generally poor aim at Michael Brown (which was one major factor in my believing his story btw). One other I saw as well but can't recall. It seems cops are about as likely to panic as they are to keep their cool. Hope I never have to face that.

Back