NYPD shoots man for refusing to take hands out of pockets

It absolutely was the police officers business and someone like Eric Garner doesn't just decide he's not going to be arrested for doing something he doesn't see a problem with when it's against the law. People will be taken under arrest by force... every... single.... time if resisting. Hopefully, police are better trained to do so without seriously injuring citizens in the future. But they had every right to use force to arrest him (Not a chokehold) and you seem to be confused about the job of Police Officers. It's to enforce the law... Your beef is with the state, not the people sworn to uphold those laws. If you want to argue about the states cigarette regulation, that's a topic that has nothing to do with the Police. How is it that you don't see that? I disagree with you on most issues, but you're not an idiot... Or do you see it and just feel compelled to keep spouting rhetoric which is completely ridiculous because you dislike police?

Enforce the law? How about they follow the law first. Sworn to uphold the law? Lol. I hope you are no older then 14.

Enforce the law? How about they follow the law first. Sworn to uphold the law? Lol. I hope you are no older then 14.

How about they do both...

But anyways, I'll take your response as you admitting that police in fact enforce, not come up with and pass laws, as your previous post erroneously insinuated. Besides our difference in opinion, I'm just happy to see that you understand that and were clearly just using anti-police rhetoric you've heard. Because 'Why don't the police just stay out of his business if he's breaking a law that I don't think is necessary' is just slightly north of 'That cop killed him because he was selling cigarettes' in the intelligence department.

Police absolutely need better training and idiots like Eric Garner need to stop committing crimes, regardless of how petty the crime is. And if not, be ready to answer the consequences of the crime (Being detained) or the consequences of being violent with cops and resisting arrest (Possibly getting seriously injured or killed by mistake or within the law if they escalate the situation to that point.) As well, the police that don't follow protocol should be ready to answer for their mistakes as well. That choke hold should have never been applied and I sympathize with both Garners family and the law enforcement officer who's life is now also ruined. In no way do I believe he meant to seriously injure or kill Eric Garner. Having been in a job myself that required very little time to think and in which lives were on the line, you have to rely on your training and good judgement to carry you through. And sometimes on the broad spectrum of things, that just doesn't happen. And when it doesn't and people get hurt, it's unfortunate for all people involved. The fact is, if Eric Garner hadn't been a scum bag who was breaking the law and resisting arrest... and if the cop had been trained better, followed protocol and used some basic common sense... This would have never happened.

Last edited:
It's interesting how so many of the last year's cop shootings were shown by videos to be done in a total panic. The gas station shooting in Ferguson (guy runs backwards and trips), the gas station shooting elsewhere when the cop unloaded on the guy (he couldn't hit the earth on a high gravity day), Wilson's generally poor aim at Michael Brown (which was one major factor in my believing his story btw). One other I saw as well but can't recall. It seems cops are about as likely to panic as they are to keep their cool. Hope I never have to face that.

Hope you never have to face what? People trying to murder you? It's a pretty frightening experience for anyone. I think the only way to learn to keep your cool is to survive a few murder attempts.

Why are police even in the business of interfering with a private transaction between adults? It's none of the state's business. Oh, I forgot, it's about revenue.

Actually, it's about doing their job.

If you have a problem with the laws, you're focusing on the wrong branch of government.

Hope you never have to face what? People trying to murder you? It's a pretty frightening experience for anyone. I think the only way to learn to keep your cool is to survive a few murder attempts.

No, if I have to face somebody trying to kill me, I would hope they are panic shooting, not keeping their cool. I'm saying that I'd rather not deal with the fear that comes from pulling a gun and shooting at somebody. I think I'd be cool, but you never know until it actually happens.

Well, I bet he'll listen to police from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back