nWo vs d-generation X

the original DX, where Shawn Michaels was pretty much just given free reign to be himself

addicted to pills, politicking, faking knee injuries, crotch chopping, screwing Bret Hart, banging Sunny, all the while laying down some of the most amazing matches in the beginning of the attitude era

the original DX, where Shawn Michaels was pretty much just given free reign to be himself

addicted to pills, politicking, faking knee injuries, crotch chopping, screwing Bret Hart, banging Sunny, all the while laying down some of the most amazing matches in the beginning of the attitude era
HBK as big of a douche as he was is one of the best "wrassler" performers I ever saw.

I prefer the nWo but I have to admit DX was the Smells like Teen Spirit that killed the nWo’s hair metal.

They didn’t seem that hip anymore when those other guys are telling people to suck it on national TV and nWo is playing the same hits over over. The 10 minute walkouts followed by a 30 minute promo where everybody from Hulk Hogan to Konnan gets to do their catch phrases, Scott Hall surveys, random beat down of WCW guy,,DX was unpredictable and short lived in the original form with Shawn Michaels, HHH, Rick Rude, and Chyna. They got stale after their feud with the Nation of Domination and I always thought the New Age Outlaws were kinda square pegs.

but ...the first year of nWo is untouchable as far as wrestling factions go.

Last edited:
I prefer the nWo but I have to admit DX was the Smells like Teen Spirit that killed the nWo’s hair metal.

They didn’t seem that hip anymore when those other guys are telling people to suck it on national TV and nWo is playing the same hits over over. The 10 minute walkouts followed by a 30 minute promo where everybody from Hulk Hogan to Konnan gets to do their catch phrases, Scott Hall surveys, random beat down of WCW guy,,DX was unpredictable and short lived in the original form with Shawn Michaels, HHH, Rick Rude, and Chyna. They got stale after their feud with the Nation of Domination and I always thought the New Age Outlaws were kinda square pegs.

but ...the first year of nWo is untouchable as far as wrestling factions go.
i dont think it was dx that made the nwo seem lame tho, it was prolly more austin and the rock. outlaws were better than xpac

Not really an easy question. I was way more into WWE at the time but I think that, in both cases, the early versions of each were superior to what was to come.

So Hogan, Hall, and Nash with DiBiase in tow (or Bischoff when DiBiase left) was a far better property than when everybody was heel turning and joining each Monday night and we were supposed to be surprised. NWO Black and White, Wolf Pack, etc it all became so diluted and silly.

Michaels, HHH, and Chyna and Ravishing Rick are the most notable iteration of DX in my mind. Yeah, they were often insufferable, but that was the point, no? I thought Bret and HBK were two of the best things going at the time and the Hart Foundation and DX feud was strong.

The stable when Triple H took over? Cool for the time for sure but I look back on the group in hindsight and- I don't know- just felt like it was missing some element. What gets me is that The Outlaws never really felt to me like they necessarily fit DX. They were huge fan favorites but I consider around early 98 when they were just a p.o.s. cocky heel tag team and I kind of liked that dynamic. They could have turned face with that popular intro and still been on their own without ever having joined up with DX. It wasn't a mismatch or anything but I don't know if it was the most logical meshing. X-Pac was a fun underdog who almost everybody liked until almost everybody disliked him. Then you couldn't get the genie back in the bottle.

I'll give the slight edge to initial stages of NWO because of the freshness of it. DX seemed like it was taking a page out of NWO's book to some extent even if they were quite different in notable ways too.

Hogan/Outsiders/Dibiase/Bisch NWO > Early DX > Later DX > Later NWO

All of those first three are relatively close. Later NWO was a mess.

tenor.gif

I think they wanted this but HHH thought he was bigger than the group at the time

Real shame because this guy was their bag boy and the only reason he ever got a taste of the main event was being connected to those guys

And banging the boss's daughter.

Dude played the game, and rubbed it in our faces.

Back