NOW What Do You Think Of Jones At Heavyweight?

Natman2939

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This time yesterday, the majority opinion seemed to be "Jones would beat every heavyweight except for maybe Cain and even that would be a really close fight"

and of course that was based on the fact that he had DOMINATED every LHW he had ever faced and people assumed that was mostly skill (and a little bit the size)

but then tonight he faced someone who is much closer in size. A man with a 76inch reach (Jones is 84 so he still had a decent advantage)

and the fight just happens to turn out to be an almost dead even fight. Now is it possible that Alexander Gus is just that much better than every LHW Jones has ever fought? It's POSSIBLE.... but I seriously doubt it. He wasn't fighting scrubs he was fighting guys considered some of the best LHW's of all time like Shogun and Lyoto and Rampage (not to mention Rashad)

So seeing how Gus used his 76 inch reach to make the striking match even and pretty much nullify Jones wrestling.

Let's take a quick look at the reach of the current top 10 UFC Heavyweights plus the Champ:
Overeem: 80
Mir: 79
Barnett: 78
Junior Dos Santos: 77
Cain: 77
Browne: 80
Bigfoot: 82
Cormier: 72
Werdum: 77
Nelson: 73
Stipe Miocic: 80

Now that's interesting. ALL but two have longer reach than Gus.

of course credit where credit's due, most of them arn't as fast as Gus and they're boxing might not be as good, but they surely make up for that in other areas.

So does this information coupled with what you saw change how you see Jones potential fights at HW going?

Beats everyone except olympic-trained bullet-time Schaub.

Him and Gus bring something interesting to that division. Not saying they would be champs but who wouldn't love to see Gus or Jones face the top guys in the HW division just to see if they can hang. I know I would.

before - jones gets trashed at heavyweight
now- jones gets trashed at heavyweight

my opinion hasn't changed at all.

This time yesterday, the majority opinion seemed to be "Jones would beat every heavyweight except for maybe Cain and even that would be a really close fight"

and of course that was based on the fact that he had DOMINATED every LHW he had ever faced and people assumed that was mostly skill (and a little bit the size)

but then tonight he faced someone who is much closer in size. A man with a 76inch reach (Jones is 84 so he still had a decent advantage)

and the fight just happens to turn out to be an almost dead even fight. Now is it possible that Alexander Gus is just that much better than every LHW Jones has ever fought? It's POSSIBLE.... but I seriously doubt it. He wasn't fighting scrubs he was fighting guys considered some of the best LHW's of all time like Shogun and Lyoto and Rampage (not to mention Rashad)

So seeing how Gus used his 76 inch reach to make the striking match even and pretty much nullify Jones wrestling.

Let's take a quick look at the reach of the current top 10 UFC Heavyweights plus the Champ:
Overeem: 80
Mir: 79
Barnett: 78
Junior Dos Santos: 77
Cain: 77
Browne: 80
Bigfoot: 82
Cormier: 72
Werdum: 77
Nelson: 73
Stipe Miocic: 80

Now that's interesting. ALL but two have longer reach than Gus.

of course credit where credit's due, most of them arn't as fast as Gus and they're boxing might not be as good, but they surely make up for that in other areas.

So does this information coupled with what you saw change how you see Jones potential fights at HW going?

Gus's reach is 79" So only the Reem, Browne, and Stipe are comparable. I guess Mir as well, but he's probably going to be retired soon, considering his next fight.

The issue that Gus presented with Jon is that he has faster hands that Jon does. At HW Jon would pick up a pretty big speed advantage. I think this fight also shows that Jon has a pretty stout chin and lots of heart. I still think a 240 pound Jon Jones would be the HW champion.

I think he will take the belt! Jones proves he has a great chin and lots of heart a 240lb Hw jones takes the HW strap.

pretty sure they had gus at like 81"

but you probably know they updated the stats and just ignored it?

also the majority thought he would lose to everyone at hw- can you point me to the thread that made you think otherwise?

Last edited:
The issue that Gus presented with Jon is that he has faster hands that Jon does. At HW Jon would pick up a pretty big speed advantage. I think this fight also shows that Jon has a pretty stout chin and lots of heart. I still think a 240 pound Jon Jones would be the HW champion.

I agree 100%

This. Also, Gus would wreck a shit ton of heavies, too. Quit overrating heavyweights. They're not THAT much better/bigger than the LHWs

Talent will beat size, and Gus and Jon both proved that they have plenty.

JDS would crush him. Period.

This.

JDS hits harder than Gus, and most likely as fast. Decent TDD. I don't think Jones could the shots that Carwin did in the first round of JDS/Carwin.

The same thing I thought before but with even more certainty.

i think a 230-240 lbs jones would only have trouble with guys like jds and cain. overeem could possibly win within the first 2 min but i think jones is skilled enough to be able to survive that behemoths early attack.

Alex said his reach was a mistake and that it was really 81 inches. I fully agree that jones has probably just had a reality check about moving up in weight though.

Back