Nothing should be more important than skills

I always enjoy watching Okami fight. Then again I enjoy watching high level skill regardless of how or where the fight takes place. It's one of the things that makes me a fan of mma. There are so many ways to win a fight, find a area where you can beat your opponent, and exploit it. Only once you realized you're outmatched in all areas should you feel the need to swing for the fences, and hope to land a lucky punch. (Tim boetch vs Yushin Okami)

I actually didn't believe that he was really cut when I was first saw a bunch of threads on it. It still feels surreal, and this is definitely not good for the sport of mma. Whether or not it's good for the ufc I wouldn't know. I suppose that depends on they're goals. ($$$ > sport of mma... would be my guess. Which would be bad since they almost hold a monopoly over the sport at this point...)

So in short I agree that when it comes to the sport of mma nothing should be more important than skills. (And to me watching the highest skills is the most enjoyable)

So, Okami's main fault was beating more exciting fighters? The other fault was being paid for risking his healt inside the octagon? Damn, how dare you, Yushin!

his fault was fighting boring for a promotion that is selling entertainment to the fans.

There's a reason nobody watches pure wrestling (for free). Not even at the olympics.

when Silva knocked him out

:p

jokes aside i actually wanted to see okami do well. it's a shame to see him go, maybe he will do okay on wsof or bellator.

Haha exactly. I hope so too. The guy is ultra talented, and likable.. hopefully his talents impress in another organization and we'll see him competing with the best again.

It's disgusting that being a legit top 10 doesn't give you any job security in the UFC. Just because you aren't marketable or not exciting according to casuals/just bleed fans, doesn't mean you are not skilled. Skill over marketability.

Sucks but when your not an english speaking figther,boring and no one wants to see you fight,there not going to keep you around.

Though im surprised they let him go thought they would of kept him for there asia cards

Haha exactly. I hope so too. The guy is ultra talented, and likable.. hopefully his talents impress in another organization and we'll see him competing with the best again.

I'm sure he'll get on with some other promotion. he's got all kinds of juice and promotion behind him compliments of zuffa, and if there's anything those other promotions really need, it's recognizable names, so fans will tune in to see how certified world class fighters do against the relative unknowns that they have already recruited.

Yushin's got that, is a past ufc title contender, and even technically has a win over Anderson Silva :D

he will do fine, just gonna have to shop for a new insurance plan. rent is cheap in the outskirts of Portland anyway.

Skill over marketability.

Profitable business over a bankrupt one.
I fucking love your av but as much as people criticize the UFC you can't debate that it's clearly the most successful org. in history and that's not an accident.

I fucking love your av but as much as people criticize the UFC you can't debate that it's clearly the most successful org. in history and that's not an accident.

Well, one could debate about the most successful part... 13 PRIDE FC events had a over 40.000 attendence...
Plus, it's not like the UFC would have gone bankrupt if they hadn't cut Yushin.

Sucks but when your not an english speaking figther,boring and no one wants to see you fight,there not going to keep you around.

Though im surprised they let him go thought they would of kept him for there asia cards

Sounds like racial profiling to me, and in this country, the laws in these states take that shit serious, but thats only your opinion, and just becasue you dont speak english, doesnt mean shit when your a competitor in a fight sport, wow, ufc shouldve kept him for asia cards? So all asian fighters in the ufc should fight in.asia, all brazilians in brazil, all russians in russia? Racial profiling is fucked up,again, its only your opinion, Thank God your not the guy who fires people from Zuffa LLC.

I believe this trend will ruin MMA. Not deserving title shots, bs decisions, firing top 10 guys just because they don't fight like Leonard Garcia - this shit has to end. Huge credibility loss for the UFC. "The best fight the best" my ass.

it won't ruin MMA, it's going to ruin the UFC. Slowly they'll release their elite fighters based on being "boring." They'll be snatched up by other promotions (One FC, WSOF, Bellator, KSW etc...), which are looking for legit, elite guys to add to their promotion. The UFC will begin to lose it's claim to having the "best fighters in the world" anymore

they're increasing their appeal but their losing their competitiveness against other promotions. This is inneficiency begining to leak in their model. Seriously, they would have kept Lavar Johnson if he hadn't failed his drug test, a guy who was pretty much certain to go nowhere in his career, but the idea of keeping Okami shocked them.

it won't ruin MMA, it's going to ruin the UFC. Slowly they'll release their elite fighters based on being "boring." They'll be snatched up by other promotions (One FC, WSOF, Bellator, KSW etc...), which are looking for legit, elite guys to add to their promotion. The UFC will begin to lose it's claim to having the "best fighters in the world" anymore

Eventually this should happen,

Fuck it, they might as well release Cain and strip him of his title, all he does is take people down and gnp them using his endless cardio, thats it, hes predictable, so why not cut him? Oh wait, hes MARKETABLE, thats it, oh & he speaks english, alot of idiots are saying the ufc shouldve kept Okami just for the asia events, lots a racial profiling up in here

He pretty much rolled over against Jacare, just like he did against Silva. That was a horrible performance.

This was a pretty stupid move though. Bellator or WSOF could steal a lot of credibility for a fairly low price, since Yushin only made $42,000 in his last fight.

Back