Nothing should be more important than skills

Zlatan1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's disgusting that being a legit top 10 doesn't give you any job security in the UFC. Just because you aren't marketable or not exciting according to casuals/just bleed fans, doesn't mean you are not skilled. Skill over marketability.

Zuffa can be a bitch bro

& I still cant believe Okami got let go, but Zuffa can be a bitch bro

& I still cant believe Okami got let go, but Zuffa can be a bitch bro

I believe this trend will ruin MMA. Not deserving title shots, bs decisions, firing top 10 guys just because they don't fight like Leonard Garcia - this shit has to end. Huge credibility loss for the UFC. "The best fight the best" my ass.

The UFC is there to put on fights people want to see, the only good Okami fights were the ones where he got knocked out, deal with it

I believe this trend will ruin MMA. Not deserving title shots, bs decisions, firing top 10 guys just because they don't fight like Leonard Garcia - this shit has to end. Huge credibility loss for the UFC. "The best fight the best" my ass.

Agreed, but it wont end, more and more top level guys will get let go, ZUFFA and thea budget cuts, I always wondered who was it that actually decides who gets fired, is it really Dana?

The UFC is there to put on fights people want to see, the only good Okami fights were the ones where he got knocked out, deal with it

Yeah, let's bring Leonard Garcia and Tank Abbott back. The people love to see some good old swinging brawls. STFU. I wanna see skills and Yushin has proven how skilled he is. According to your logic, almost every wrestler in the UFC should be cut.

This trend is nothing new, the sport has become less and less legitimate over the last couple of years.

You sound like a dumass, uneducated mma fan, Okami was as skilled as they come, but if Dana & co.want to let go highly skilled mma competitors in favor of guys who are more "marketable", than just bleed idiot fans like you will be in heaven so go talk shit and bash fighters in another thread, mabye you'll run into a mod who doesnt like fighter bashing

Yeah, let's bring Leonard Garcia and Tank Abbott back. The people love to see some good old swinging brawls. STFU. I wanna see skills and Yushin has proven how skilled he is. According to your logic, almost every wrestler in the UFC should be cut.

Being exciting isn't enough either.
There are a lot of fighters who are exciting AND skilled.

There are a lot of strong wrestlers who don't cheat people out of their money's worth by trying to lay on top of their opponent for 3 rounds and win the decision.

Faber, MM, Jones, Cain, Hendo, Weidman, the list is long.

And with the money the UFC saves by cutting well-paid guys like Okami they can invest in new talent.
Also this cut might serve as a warning for all the guys who still didn't get it after the Fitch cut.
And if they still don't understand, hey there's more guys on the roster to cut and make a point, maybe DHK or Shields are next :D

news flash: the ufc isn't about cultivating a collection of the most skilled fighters ever, it's about getting people to pay for tickets and ppv events. it's an organization that exists for the sole purpose of making money.

corporations act like big dumb animals and are thus fairly predictable. with how well Chaels done it should be obvious to any fighter that if you are an employee of the ufc , you are a tv star first, martial artist second. so if you have a bland personality you better be a fucking monster in the cage.

see: Cain Velasquez

Being exciting isn't enough either.
There are a lot of fighters who are exciting AND skilled.

There are a lot of strong wrestlers who don't cheat people out of their money's worth by trying to lay on top of their opponent for 3 rounds and win the decision.

Faber, MM, Jones, Cain, Hendo, Weidman, the list is long.

And with the money the UFC saves by cutting well-paid guys like Okami they can invest in new talent.
Also this cut might serve as a warning for all the guys who still didn't get it after the Fitch cut.
And if they still don't understand, hey there's more guys on the roster to cut and make a point, maybe DHK or Shields are next :D

So, you would like to see DHK getting cut?
What a trend.

Assuming you're referring to the recent cut of Okami.

Okami has mad skills, that is undeniable, but they only took him so far. I do not agree with it, but it's simple fact that Okami's skill level only gets him in number one contender status at its peak. Mix in the fact that his style is lackluster in regards to excitement. Don't mean to take the business approach here but ask yourself this: When have you ever walked away juiced you just watched an Okami fight? Likely never. He's solid as all hell, and educated people surely appreciate his technicality. Everyone is flipping a lid because the guy fought and beat some name people, but again, tell me a time he's lifted you off your seat.. and I don't mean when Boetsch knocked him out.

he has too many losses to be a contender
too many zero's on his paycheque to be a card filler
too many yawns to be a fan favourite

it's a shame for him, but it's not the worst cut ever, really

What a trend.

TBH he is probably next, he has said to the media he doesnt care about Dana and co. wanting their fighters to try to knock eachother out in the first round for excitement purposes, DHK would rather play it safe and grapple his way to a safe W if necessary, he said he would make sure he wins, in a way he takes the least amount of damage, So does DHK deserve to be cut? Oh wait, he is quite popular in his home country, and hes on tv all the time in his.home country, so Zuffa must find DHK to be marketable.

Assuming you're referring to the recent cut of Okami.

Okami has mad skills, that is undeniable, but they only took him so far. I do not agree with it, but it's simple fact that Okami's skill level only gets him in number one contender status at its peak. Mix in the fact that his style is lackluster in regards to excitement. Don't mean to take the business approach here but ask yourself this: When have you ever walked away juiced you just watched an Okami fight? Likely never. He's solid as all hell, and educated people surely appreciate his technicality. Everyone is flipping a lid because the guy fought and beat some name people, but again, tell me a time he's lifted you off your seat.. and I don't mean when Boetsch knocked him out.

when Silva knocked him out

:p

jokes aside i actually wanted to see okami do well. it's a shame to see him go, maybe he will do okay on wsof or bellator.

What a trend.

absolutely!

he's much less exciting than Okami as well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets cut after losing to Erick Silva.

the problem is almost all martial arts are designed to "win a fight" by putting your opponent in a position where he is unable to fight back at all because he is unconscious or injured.

Wrestling the way guys like DHK use to win their fights really only wins fights because of the artificial time limit and judging criteria.

And to make it all worse wrestling is one of the disciplines you can't just pick up and get good at it the same way you can train in BJJ or striking.

It's disgusting that being a legit top 10 doesn't give you any job security in the UFC. Just because you aren't marketable or not exciting according to casuals/just bleed fans, doesn't mean you are not skilled. Skill over marketability.

well, let's be honest, he doesn't have many fans or sell fights. style-wise, he's probably about as exciting as sonnen, but sonnen can sell a fight and entertain a bit more with his antics.
frankly if sonnen didn't learn to shit talk he'd be gone by now too.

Even in amateur olympic sports it's not all about skills anymore. And UFC is a business and a show. They can't (and shouldn't, in business terms) afford to be saints and justice warriors. As they say in Russia "he who has the money - orders the music". If a fighter can make the UFC some bucks through his charisma and marketability, they will use that.

So, Okami's main fault was beating more exciting fighters? The other fault was being paid for risking his healt inside the octagon? Damn, how dare you, Yushin!

Back