• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nothing has topped the buildup of Khabib vs. Conor for me

It got way too ugly for my taste.

Was definitely an intense moment though.

That was a rare mix of elements, and we hardly ever see fights like that. It was a blend of top-notch skills and real hatred between the fighters. Jones vs. DC, Rampage vs. Evans, Brock vs. Mir, Silva vs. Sonnen—most of the biggest UFC fights had serious rivalries. Right now, I don't see that kind of tension between many fighters. If I had to pick my top three PPVs, excluding McGregor, it'd be Jones vs. Aspinall, Adesanya vs. Khamzat, and Topuria vs. O'Malley.

I really enjoyed the buildup to all of Do Bronx’ title defenses except the Islam fight. The Islam fight was so predictable..

Israel vs Bobby and Izzy vs Paulo were hyped fights too!

the PRIDE tournament build ups were always the best to me. The opening rounds, the confirmations of which fighters participating, matches not being announced until days before, etc. All culminating into that epic finals PRIDE hype video, then into the finals???? two major fights in one night???? that was the real shit.

McGregor vs Aldo II has tremendous potential. Let’s hope McGregor KO’s Chandler and we get a rematch with Aldo.

Remnants of Rhonda vs Holly.
Watched a decent documentary on YouTube a couple nights ago about Rhonda. I remember thinking “Rhonda seemed really rattled” as she was going off on HH like she did

In no particular order..
GSP vs Penn 2
Rampage vs Evans/Jones
Tito vs Chucks
Evans vs Jones
Jones vs DCs
Conor vs Aldo
Silva vs Sonnen
Hendo vs Bisping
Izzy vs Alex

Probably missing a few but dang these were all good.

Was going to say this.
The buildup for this fight, the individual journeys diverging into one, it was like something from a movie. Like Rocky, how they'd show a montage of Rocky's life and the hardships and trials he'd faced, interspersed with Clubber Lang beating the absolute dog shit out of his training partner and pissing on a Kodak print of Rocky. Couldn't really even write it better than it happened irl. Aleks getting KTFO by Crocop and Fedor watching it unfold was like Rocky watching the end of Apollo Creed, and Fedor knew a day would come when he'd have to avenge that loss to restore his family pride and honor.

Life is crazy like that, sometimes. Sometimes it's as good, or better, than a complete work of fiction.

”Buildup” is silly. Outside of fight announcements, rarely see anythingng of the sort. Walkouts are enough.

But I do recall one GSP vs Condit hype video that was presented like an election ad. And mentioned Condit wearing shorts instead of GSP style hotpants. That was amusing piece.

Cody vs dillishaw with the ultimate fighter and their actual real life beef was great

9EVFa01.gif

umm29o.gif

xEoVcFNZ730wXJ1FDrLJwqYJ1OoSgahSyiMEh5rO-Ko.jpg

giphy.gif

200w.gif

georges-st-pierre_bj-penn_2_medium_medium.gif
Bisping vs GSP, really? That fight was a joke.

”Buildup” is silly. Outside of fight announcements, rarely see anythingng of the sort. Walkouts are enough.

But I do recall one GSP vs Condit hype video that was presented like an election ad. And mentioned Condit wearing shorts instead of GSP style hotpants. That was amusing piece.
Yeah, outside of visiting sherdog, which I used to only do during events to see the general reactions, I don't really go out of my way to see ufc content besides actual fights. I miss out on some of the twitter drama and all that, but from how people respond to fights on here, that's probably a good thing. People seem to get burned out and stop caring about the fights as much as they do the "storyline" or drama in general.

I really enjoyed the build up to the Jones vs Cormier 1 fight, it was so raw and real, no acting or fake beef. I could see in their eyes it was genuine and they couldn't stand each other. Cormier is still fuming about it until this day, I can see he tries to hold it in on camera but he he boiling inside when Jones name comes up

early to mid 2010 Conor fights were incredible

Ken vs Tito was really good at the time. Ken vs Frye had some hatred although I'm not sure how worked that was.

Back