• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nothing has topped the buildup of Khabib vs. Conor for me

I agree but I've only been watching since 2016. Nothing's come close since. I was really excited for Ngannou vs Gane but that was a huge disappointment.

yea yea, you might call me a casual fan, I've been consistently following MMA since 2017. Before that, I would tune in occasionally, especially for Conor McGregor or Jon Jones fights. However, nothing compares to the buildup of Khabib vs Conor for me.

It was the most entertaining lead-up I've ever seen. The Artem Lobov incident, the dolly throw, the press conferences, and countless YouTube analysis videos lol. Then came the fight itself and the aftermath—it was the peak of MMA for me, and so far, nothing else has matched it.

what are some of your guys favourite?
Cain Velasquez fights vs Junior dos Santos fights (3 of them).

Plus Velasquez vs Lesnar (mini Brock referees big brother)

It was insane tbh. I doubt there will be anything like it again in MMA. The dolly incident was such a gift in terms of promotion for the UFC despite it being highly unprofessional.
It can and will happen again but its not something you can create. The combustible elements just have to collide at the right time. Khabib vs Conor was a perfect storm.

it was something special for sure. if only we had another genuine asshole like conor that could back their filthy words face off against islam or shavkat. stings that colby is a complete utter joke these days too and leon has the personality of paper....

The buildup to the Aldo fight was way better
Anybody with a brain knew Conor was going to get mopped by Khabib the Tax evading Eagle

GSP vs Penn ll.

They invented a new show called Primetime. 3 episodes from training camp leading up to the rematch. Aired on Spike TV. The episodes were 30 minutes each.

I found 2, and 3 on YouTube, but not 1?
Even though bj got demolished, the build up FELT insane. I even thought staring at the poster FELT insane.

Reactions: HHJ
Best buildup ever, how many quotes and GIF's and memes it made, then someone like Colby is good buildup but still can't match it. Changed a fighter with the aura of Conor. Will never be matched again in hype.

Last edited:
Silva vs Chael was better.
Tried & tested GOAT vs gritty shit-talking wrestler.

I was fucking shaking when watching that fight, Chael on top for 95% of the fight.
Was fucking wild.
And the finish, was like a hollywood movie.

Most of modern sherdog are fucking noobs who weren't even alive when that fight happened, lol.

Meh khabib was hungry. McGregor was drunk and drugged out after maymac.

Most people knew him winning was a very very unlikely.

If the fight was made right after the eddie fight, then it would have been actually interesting.

Maybe I was more invested but Aldo vs. Conor had the best build up. Specially since it was really a fight where the result was not a given like the Khabib fight.

Huge legacy on the line against a loud mouth who was KOing dudes left and right.

Back