Not Enough Credit for Jiu-Jitsu In the UFC (MMA)?

I have been a big fan since ufc 1 and I think it's pretty clear we have been seeing and will continue to see a little more stand up.Everyone's tdd is so good these days.It'll stay about where it is now maybe a few percent slide to more stand up imo.

I do think though that as evolution of the sport continues we will see more high level grappling but it's not going to go back to grappling dominated or jiu jitsu dominating if anything striker's with sick tdd.

Jiujitsu keeps me safe in my fights. I may not be the best at Jiujitsu, however, because I have a deep understanding of it, I am confident fighting from anywhere the fight may end up. If anything, the best strikers in MMA can strike more confidently because they are comfortable fighting off their backs. They are more likely to take risks.

As far as the publics lack of understanding of the ground game; Grappling is something that often needs to be felt in order to understand. It is easy to look from the outside and yell at the fighter to punch or do something. However, unless you have been in that position with a skilled grappler, you really won't have the empathy to understand the many instances of the passive aggressive nature of the ground game.

That side of our sport will only be truly appreciated by those fans that take the time to practice grappling as a hobby; whether to compete or even for fitness reasons. That's just the way things will always be IMHO.

This.

I have been a big fan since ufc 1 and I think it's pretty clear we have been seeing and will continue to see a little more stand up.Everyone's tdd is so good these days.It'll stay about where it is now maybe a few percent slide to more stand up imo.

I do think though that as evolution of the sport continues we will see more high level grappling but it's not going to go back to grappling dominated or jiu jitsu dominating if anything striker's with sick tdd.
The spirit and will of a man to drag another man to the ground and try and keep him there will always trump a man reacting to a another man trying to impose his will.

fighters like Yushin Okami who are boring as **** to watch are ruining the sport. And this is coming from a japanese person. He just lays on you!

this

Jiujitsu keeps me safe in my fights. I may not be the best at Jiujitsu, however, because I have a deep understanding of it, I am confident fighting from anywhere the fight may end up. If anything, the best strikers in MMA can strike more confidently because they are comfortable fighting off their backs. They are more likely to take risks.

As far as the publics lack of understanding of the ground game; Grappling is something that often needs to be felt in order to understand. It is easy to look from the outside and yell at the fighter to punch or do something. However, unless you have been in that position with a skilled grappler, you really won't have the empathy to understand the many instances of the passive aggressive nature of the ground game.

That side of our sport will only be truly appreciated by those fans that take the time to practice grappling as a hobby; whether to compete or even for fitness reasons. That's just the way things will always be IMHO.

Thanks for taking the time to log in and post; always great to hear input from actual experts.

Without BJJ even a sick Striker with TDD would have lost his belt to Chael Sonnen.

it's not jiu jitsu. it's grappling in general. a lot of people just want to watch a brawl. I don't think it will ever change. every sport attracts uneducated idiots who talk like they know what they are talking about, even if they don't know shit. and it's natural that cage fighting attracts the retarded bros that pretend to be the toughest guy around.

Thank you so much for posting this.

This pretty much sums up everything.

The quotes in the OP are from a couple of idiot casual fans that don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Gotta love all the clever "lol this is gay" comments from retarded masses.

BJJ gets plenty of credit from people who understand what they're watching.

Back