1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Not Enough Credit for Jiu-Jitsu In the UFC (MMA)?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by sp00k, Jan 2, 2013.

1. sp00k

sp00k 5 Steps Lower

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/TJ-Waldburger-Theres-Not-Enough-JiuJitsu-in-MMA-48633

What are your thoughts on this article? Do you think people are aware of BJJ techniques but crap on it?

"LAY N PRAY!"
    "WHAT THE FUCK ARE 2 GROWN MEN DOING IN THAT MISSIONARY POSITION MAN!"

I straight up had a woman ask me if they were homosexuals. I am not bashing but that is what I was asked and I explained that I don't know if they were homosexuals but them being in "guard" is a part of the sport and that they are working towards a submission.

Will the "glory days" of BJJ return (the Royce era)? Will there be a champion that is BJJ based and dominates?

I appreciate BJJ as much as the next person. Demian Maia is one of my favorite fighters, I have no shame in saying I have one of his Bad Boy tshirts from UFC 118.

2. tkotom

tkotom Fedor belt

It's MMA mate, these are the glory days.

Mixed. Martial. Arts.

All of the champs have awesome grappling and specifically a lot have great BJJ.

3. van1ty

van1ty Banned Banned

the issue is that people think any time the person on top isn't punching that they're stalling.

4. The Archer360

The Archer360 Orange Belt

People like that should just stop watching MMA events until they have some sort of understanding of it at the risk of lowering the MMA IQ of those around them...

5. Brotha Will

Brotha Will Blue Belt

Watching PPV @ a bar can be sketchy company. Usually when presented with the homo questions I'm like "Yeah they are ALL GAY!" then next PPV those fucking knuckle dragging homo phobes aren't there...works every time

6. ligthandshadow

ligthandshadow Red Belt

I blame promoters too. "Make the fight as exciting as possible, don't leave it in the hands of the judges"... If you aren't flailing your legs then apparently you aren't fighting

7. tonymacalpine

tonymacalpine Purple Belt

well i think the popularity of MMA has carried over to competition grappling / bjj over the past couple years and that is a really good thing, but as far as in MMA goes i don't think we will have a second coming of jiu jitsu as the most dominant art. it's going to depend on who can deal with punches while grappling and who can be just aggressive enough to stop a guy with punches without getting submitted. i think fans should be open minded and learn about what they are looking at but yeah good luck on that.

8. AntonioCarvalho

AntonioCarvalho Orange Belt Professional Fighter

Jiujitsu keeps me safe in my fights. I may not be the best at Jiujitsu, however, because I have a deep understanding of it, I am confident fighting from anywhere the fight may end up. If anything, the best strikers in MMA can strike more confidently because they are comfortable fighting off their backs. They are more likely to take risks.

As far as the publics lack of understanding of the ground game; Grappling is something that often needs to be felt in order to understand. It is easy to look from the outside and yell at the fighter to punch or do something. However, unless you have been in that position with a skilled grappler, you really won't have the empathy to understand the many instances of the passive aggressive nature of the ground game.

That side of our sport will only be truly appreciated by those fans that take the time to practice grappling as a hobby; whether to compete or even for fitness reasons. That's just the way things will always be IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. tkotom

tkotom Fedor belt

Can't stand those people. So annoying.

10. LilNubi

LilNubi Brown Belt

11. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

Beat me to it.

12. Hooliganx

Hooliganx Green Belt

Jits doesn't get nearly enough credit in MMA & laws are heavily favoured towards wrestling.

13. Bringin'TheHeat

Bringin'TheHeat Green Belt

Thanks brother. I feel the same way, in that I can honestly say adding submission wrestling/no GI to my game over the last few years has given me great confidence and fighting prowess regardless of where the fight goes. I admit about 6 years ago when I started watching I would get frustrated with the clinch game and the tie ups in guard or holding side control without doing much to finish. I decided I couldn't possibly be the kind of fan I was without possibly putting myself in the fighters shoes (or at least train and experience that specific part of what they go through). Now I grapple competitively, kickbox, and spar with local fighters for their fights. I recommend every fan try it out before they go making judgments or come on sites like these and be critical (as Mr. Carvalho alluded to).

14. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

Anderson Silva and Jon Jones each have won two Submission of the Night bonuses. Jones has 5 submission finishes in the UFC and only 3 TKOs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  15. Afro thunder

Afro thunder Blue Belt

People, even those educated on bjj often think of it as simply submissions. When you watch fighters like GSP or Bendo, most of their game is built around top control, which is a heavy aspect of BJJ. If you ever watched a wrestling match, you woud know that top half guard, side control, mount etc. are not really wrestling positions.

16. deepestBlue

deepestBlue White Belt

I think for example GSP/Condit was a great display of BJJ. The way Condit constantly threatening with sweeps made GSP relatively effectless from the top, on the other hand Georges top game is great!

I consider every situation where one oponent is on his back as a BJJ situation rather than a wrestling one because this situation just doesn't exist in wrestling.

If you think of BJJ as just submissions you just don't get it.

17. csx

csx White Belt

fighters like Yushin Okami who are boring as **** to watch are ruining the sport. And this is coming from a japanese person. He just lays on you!

18. deepestBlue

deepestBlue White Belt

You said it before...

19. fbgn

fbgn sweeeet kosher transvestite Banned

Bjj is overrated, boring, and becoming less and less significant in mma.

20. CR0W

CR0W BOXING

Awesome! Antonio Carvalho posts here. Loved your fight with Rodrigo Damm, great leg kicks. Always a fan!