Not doing too well.

Sorry to hear that dude. I know it's cliche but don't give up, things can always get better.

Don't start contemplating a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Your sherbro's are always here for you... OK hopefully that didn't make you even more depressed LOL

Honestly, I haven't been happy for years, aside from the odd win at pool at work.

Last time I was truly happy, I was staying at the Ramada in Bangkok five years ago, sitting on a deck chair overlooking the river and the skyscrapers beyond, during sunset, as the Roy Khatom? Jingle played...

Felt really relaxed and at peace...

@Wrath of Foamy sorry to hear that man.

My suggestion would be to schedule an appointment with your GP and tell them about this and they can discuss your next steps. There is no shame about having depression or anxiety or needing help, please consider this.

I'm in the UK. I think it's 111?

I've been through rough patches before, but I didn't think I'd be having clear thoughts like this at this stage of my life. It's not even despair, just "fuck this", you know?

I appreciate the help brother.

Apparently the suicide hotline in the UK is this. +44 800 689 5652

So if you need someone talk to right away, that's the number to call.

You need change. Even if it's a small change of starting the day with a smile and going from there to ending the day by reflecting on what was good about that day or your life in general.

Little changes in your thoughts and actions can have bigger positive results in your life. It doesn't mean you'll be happy all of the time or such, but, you'll be better off; especially if you focus less on stressors or negative things.

I hope you can start your day in a positive manner. I don't know what loved ones you have in your life but it might help to reach out to them and hash out what you're thinking and feeling. If one person listens and shows empathy it can be a pretty powerful experience.

Best regards and luck Sherbro!

I'm in the UK. I think it's 111?

I've been through rough patches before, but I didn't think I'd be having clear thoughts like this at this stage of my life. It's not even despair, just "fuck this", you know?

I appreciate the help brother.

You don't even need to call anyone these days in the UK. Most areas have online self-referrals if you want mental health support. It's free too so can't do any harm.

@Wrath of Foamy sorry to hear that man.

My suggestion would be to schedule an appointment with your GP and tell them about this and they can discuss your next steps. There is no shame about having depression or anxiety or needing help, please consider this.

I've went through the GP before, years ago. I did CBT with a Portuguese bloke, really nice guy.

I don't think that they can really help though. I used to actually feel quite happy going to CBT. Going into CBT with the aim of tackling unhappiness, going "HI MATE GREAT TO SEE YA!", and then feeling shitty again a few hours afterwards. I don't think it's just me, but what is around me. I'm a square peg in a round hole. I can cope, it's not my first rodeo, but I'm tired of just coping.

Thanks mate.

Apparently the suicide hotline in the UK is this. +44 800 689 5652

So if you need someone talk to right away, that's the number to call.

Thanks for the effort. I've actually thought about doing it. This thread has helped a bit though, so I'll keep the number on hand.

You need change. Even if it's a small change of starting the day with a smile and going from there to ending the day by reflecting on what was good about that day or your life in general.

Little changes in your thoughts and actions can have bigger positive results in your life. It doesn't mean you'll be happy all of the time or such, but, you'll be better off; especially if you focus less on stressors or negative things.

I hope you can start your day in a positive manner. I don't know what loved ones you have in your life but it might help to reach out to them and hash out what you're thinking and feeling. If one person listens and shows empathy it can be a pretty powerful experience.

Best regards and luck Sherbro!

Reminds me of the phrase "Smile to be happy, instead of expecting to smile because you're happy". I believe that there was even a research paper done on this? That forcing a smile releases dopamine?

I need change. No doubt. The path seems to be "get a home, then live", but getting a home here seems further and further out of reach.

My version of suicide would be to go to Japan and travel far east Asia, blow my money and then do something about it. Last night though, I just didn't care about anything.

Thank you for the wishes mate.

Yea, I've been thinking about blasting myself for years now. Came close a few times.

But I won't, because fuck the world. The reaper is going to have to come get me, I'm not gonna do his work for him.

Stick around bro, be defiant. You're not alone. Ever need to talk, PM me.

I've went through the GP before, years ago. I did CBT with a Portuguese bloke, really nice guy.

I don't think that they can really help though. I used to actually feel quite happy going to CBT. Going into CBT with the aim of tackling unhappiness, going "HI MATE GREAT TO SEE YA!", and then feeling shitty again a few hours afterwards. I don't think it's just me, but what is around me. I'm a square peg in a round hole. I can cope, it's not my first rodeo, but I'm tired of just coping.

Thanks mate.

Thanks for the effort. I've actually thought about doing it. This thread has helped a bit though, so I'll keep the number on hand.

Reminds me of the phrase "Smile to be happy, instead of expecting to smile because you're happy". I believe that there was even a research paper done on this? That forcing a smile releases dopamine?

I need change. No doubt. The path seems to be "get a home, then live", but getting a home here seems further and further out of reach.

My version of suicide would be to go to Japan and travel far east Asia, blow my money and then do something about it. Last night though, I just didn't care about anything.

CBT is just one type of therapy Sherbro, it tends to be the first one they try because it's more measurable than other types of therapy, but it might be that a more talking based therapy is what you need.

Personally years ago I had CBT and it didn't do a lot, until I did talking therapy and figured out a lot of my issues, then did CBT again and it really, really worked the 2nd time because I understood the underlying causes behind my beliefs about myself.

Yea, I've been thinking about blasting myself for years now. Came close a few times.

But I won't, because fuck the world. The reaper is going to have to come get me, I'm not gonna do his work for him.

Stick around bro, be defiant. You're not alone.

Yeah, I don't think that I'm actually going to do it. Just prayed for it.' Ive had suicidal thoughts before, when I was younger. I dislike them. They're counter-intuitive. Hard to look up when I keep thinking about how nice the end of it all would be. Ruined my teenaged years and I don't want them again.

CBT is just one type of therapy Sherbro, it tends to be the first one they try because it's more measurable than other types of therapy, but it might be that a more talking based therapy is what you need.

Personally years ago I had CBT and it didn't do a lot, until I did talking therapy and figured out a lot of my issues, then did CBT again and it really, really worked the 2nd time because I understood the underlying causes behind my beliefs about myself.

Yeah, sometimes it helps to attack something from a different angle, get a different perspective from it and then act. I definitely see how it worked for you. It worked a bit for me too, as I learned about my cycle of self-doubt in regards to socializing with others.

I'll consider it. Thanks for the support.

Career wise I am doing quite well, but I have also focused too much time at it maybe. I am in my mid 30's and have not had a long term relationship in a few years. I commonly work 12 hour days sometimes 6 days a week.

I am relatively happy though.

Sorry to hear of your struggles. If you are contemplating suicide and live in the UK, call +44 800 689 5652.

I genuinely hope things turn around for you. The smiling thing actually does work IMO.

It may sound dumb, but I try to start every day smiling. People that I work with say "You're always so happy!" which is usually true but even on days that aren't that great I try to smile which, in turn, makes those around me lighten up and smile and that makes the environment a lot more pleasant.

Suicide is a tough subject to touch on and one I'm not "qualified" to give advice on. I've been where you're at, a moment or place where nothing seemed to matter and I didn't want to deal with anything. Riding that wave out is the only thing I've done and I thankfully have lots of good memories, made unexpected friends, and overall am happier despite still feeling the lows at times.

Not sure what coping mechanisms you might have or what support is available to you personally / medically but you should address it so it doesn't become something that feels "all encompassing 24/7".

If I were anywhere near you I'd sit down for a beer or whatever and bullshit.

Anyone else struggling out there?

I've been trying to find a better job, but during the practical training required to get my new skills, I developed an anxiety for the role.

I just left a job interview, that I turned down relatively early on, because I'd be worse out of pocket due to having to pay £100 a month for staff parking. I'd have taken it otherwise, as experience is hard to come by for a nervous fellow like myself.

That's not all it. I'm pessimistic for the future, what I see around me, and I can't escape the feeling that no matter what I do, I'll never get respect. Everywhere I look, I'm surrounded by the bored and the miserable. There's no colour or happiness around me.

In terms of society? Community and recreation will be stripped away for all but the wealthy. The working class will just work to survive and own nothing, no home, not even a car. There will be a very clear line of ownership in the future.

I've lay in bed over the last two nights, magically finding god, praying to die in my sleep. Even thought about taking a knife to my wrists, and spent my last few woke hours watching videos on suicide on YouTube. Now I'm awake now, sitting in my Kia that's being pounded by torrential rain, listening to music on Greatest Hits Radio. I didn't get the job, it wasn't good enough, fair enough.

Oh well. Not the first time that I've felt low, probably won't be the last either. I just wish that I didn't waste so much time on it. I'm sure that others are in worse positions than I. I just wanted to vent to others a bit. Save family the hassle.

Nice. Earth Wind and Fire are on the radio. This one.

If it makes you feel better we are all fucked

just some people haven’t realized it yet

My pants have been up for ages mate.

I have some money. I have a roof over my head. I have a job where I can save a bit. I have a car. I put up with shit so that I don't lose things, or lose the opportunity to get things.

I know that you're trying to help. You've given me offers before, which I've appreciated. I'm just tired of fighting. I want to just be happy, in a happy place, with happy people.
It sounds like all of your basic needs are being met. You have nothing to be unhappy about tbh. Sounds like you are looking for a fantasy life out of the movies.

Don't be negative. Be positive instead!

It sounds like all of your basic needs are being met. You have nothing to be unhappy about tbh. Sounds like you are looking for a fantasy life out of the movies.
Even movies usually have a plot including struggle.

Even movies usually have a plot including struggle.
Yes but movies usually end with the happily ever after thing which isn't real. There are always going to be problems no matter what your situation is outside of very brief periods. Any time you meet a beautiful woman, get promoted, get a new car, ect.....all those feelings fade and life goes on. Problems are just a part of life and always will be.

Anyone else struggling out there?

I've been trying to find a better job, but during the practical training required to get my new skills, I developed an anxiety for the role.

I just left a job interview, that I turned down relatively early on, because I'd be worse out of pocket due to having to pay £100 a month for staff parking. I'd have taken it otherwise, as experience is hard to come by for a nervous fellow like myself.

That's not all it. I'm pessimistic for the future, what I see around me, and I can't escape the feeling that no matter what I do, I'll never get respect. Everywhere I look, I'm surrounded by the bored and the miserable. There's no colour or happiness around me.

In terms of society? Community and recreation will be stripped away for all but the wealthy. The working class will just work to survive and own nothing, no home, not even a car. There will be a very clear line of ownership in the future.

I've lay in bed over the last two nights, magically finding god, praying to die in my sleep. Even thought about taking a knife to my wrists, and spent my last few woke hours watching videos on suicide on YouTube. Now I'm awake now, sitting in my Kia that's being pounded by torrential rain, listening to music on Greatest Hits Radio. I didn't get the job, it wasn't good enough, fair enough.

Oh well. Not the first time that I've felt low, probably won't be the last either. I just wish that I didn't waste so much time on it. I'm sure that others are in worse positions than I. I just wanted to vent to others a bit. Save family the hassle.

Nice. Earth Wind and Fire are on the radio. This one.

Hey brother, I was there not too long ago. It is still a battle quite frankly. I too made a thread on here talking briefly about it. Life is hard, Sherbro. My advice to you, which is what helped me, is to let go of the things you can't control and try to see the brightness in each waking moment. If you don't like your situation, try like hell to change it. That's what I'm doing, man. I am betting on me and not allowing anyone to tell me I can't. Suicide is only a permanent fix to a temporary problem. My DMs are open, but remember, you are here for a reason. Try to find your "why" and run towards it.

Back