Nosebleeds While Sparring

Ok - the fact you're sparring, WITH 4oz glove, after two weeks is fucked up and has already been addressed.

Headgear is useful. I don't like it, but one of my students has had his nose broken twice, so now he HAS to wear it, otherwise it'll probably break again.

As far as the actual nose bleed - I used to get tons, and I've had a few students with the same problem. This method before sparring has helped immensely. I'd say 90% of the time it works great.

Make sure your hands are clean before starting.

• Get some Q-tips and
  • Vaseline
  • Apply a small amount of Vaseline to Q-tip.
  • cover the entire tip
  • Put up nose.
  • Gently apply pressure from the outside
  • Roll the Q-tip - Slowly and GENTLY
It takes a few times to get the feel of how much you need and exactly what to do, but it's time well invested.

Again, this has worked for myself, and at least a half-dozen others I've suggested this to.

Great thread!

I ran across this from searching, so figured I would ask here instead of create a new one.

Background:
I have been training at a new MMA gym for the past 5 weeks. We have boxing once a week and I have made it every class. My goals are fitness (more fun than a stairmaster) and gain a better appreciation for the art. I have absolutely NO plans to compete in MMA or boxing (but maybe BJJ someday).

I do not want a broken nose. Have had three nose surgeries (septoplasty x1, turbinate reduction x3) and been working with my ENT for the past 5 years to improve my nasal breathing as it disrupts my sleep. I am not a good mouth breather. I can deal with being hurt and the pain, just trying to avoid surgery or risk worsened congestion as result of my hobby.

In yesterday's class, coach introduced sparring. It was a lot of fun and good challenge. I would love to continue doing this and improving, but I do not want to get my nose broken. The risk vs benefit for me is not worth it. I do this for fun and fitness. Everybody at the gym has good energy and the sparring was light. Used 16oz gloves, mouthpiece, blah blah...

Question:

How much of a difference would headgear make in preventing a broken nose? Is it still possible to get a broken nose while wearing headgear? What are some good suggestions in the under-$100 range for headgear that will protect the nose? What should I look for when shopping?

I don't mind some searching, just give me a few leads or products I can research.

Or should I find a new hobby? ;)

I live in the Netherlands. Find a gym where they don't go atleast a bit hard in a muy thai training school (or boxing) and i would be suprised

Sure, the golden glory gym here is one of the toughest to train so for the regular trying to learn some thai it isn't the best school and there are sure schools where they spar less hard, but in general its not soft

then again, i never heard that somebody broke his nose in the first two weeks and walked away with black eyes.. doesn't seem normal to me dude

How much of a difference would headgear make in preventing a broken nose?
Regular headgrear with large cheek gards will help prevent but its probly not enough for you.

rth.jpg

Here is headgear that have a bar infront of the nose and that what I think will help you.

evhg2_m.jpg

Great thread!

I ran across this from searching, so figured I would ask here instead of create a new one.

Background:
I have been training at a new MMA gym for the past 5 weeks. We have boxing once a week and I have made it every class. My goals are fitness (more fun than a stairmaster) and gain a better appreciation for the art. I have absolutely NO plans to compete in MMA or boxing (but maybe BJJ someday).

I do not want a broken nose. Have had three nose surgeries (septoplasty x1, turbinate reduction x3) and been working with my ENT for the past 5 years to improve my nasal breathing as it disrupts my sleep. I am not a good mouth breather. I can deal with being hurt and the pain, just trying to avoid surgery or risk worsened congestion as result of my hobby.

In yesterday's class, coach introduced sparring. It was a lot of fun and good challenge. I would love to continue doing this and improving, but I do not want to get my nose broken. The risk vs benefit for me is not worth it. I do this for fun and fitness. Everybody at the gym has good energy and the sparring was light. Used 16oz gloves, mouthpiece, blah blah...

Question:

How much of a difference would headgear make in preventing a broken nose? Is it still possible to get a broken nose while wearing headgear? What are some good suggestions in the under-$100 range for headgear that will protect the nose? What should I look for when shopping?

I don't mind some searching, just give me a few leads or products I can research.

Or should I find a new hobby? ;)

look for face protector headgear and you wont have to worry about getting your nose hurt.

this is a good cheap option: TITLE CLASSIC FACE PROTECTOR HEADGEAR BLACK > Protective Gear > Title MMA

i sparred saturday and it was my week mark.. i have a black eye and busted nose.. but i completly broke the other guys nose.. i have no backround in mma or anything the other guy does... i feel proud of myself lol

Dude buy headgear and why the fuck are you sparring hard with MMA gloves? Thats just asking for cuts, bruises and busted noses, ridiculous. The only time you should be hitting someone hard with MMA gloves on is DURING A FIGHT. Change gyms now.

There's a cuts thread in the ATF section that addresses this issue, but I'll give a little info here if it's not already been stated.

You may have thin blood. Get a multivitamin that HAS iron, typically ones made for males don't contain iron, but if you're a bleeder, you need the iron because you lose it every time you bleed, which keeps your blood thin.

Also, might want to try vitamin K. It's a natural coagulant. These two things will work from the inside out. Floyd Mayweather Sr. had a Mexican kid who used to get nosebleeds so bad it would start dripping when he hit the bags. I gave him those two things and it fixed the problem.

4-6oz fight gloves are gonna fuck up faces. Period. Either convince your sparring partners of it, or find another gym.

lol do you really think he can just walk up to his coach after 2 weeks or whatever and say something like "hey I've got these idea's for ways we can train more safely". Dude needs to find a new gym, he's sparring advanced students who are punching him in the nose every session without headgear with MMA gloves, thats ridiculous. You barely ever even see UFC fighters doing that.

i sparred saturday and it was my week mark.. i have a black eye and busted nose.. but i completly broke the other guys nose.. i have no backround in mma or anything the other guy does... i feel proud of myself lol

WTF....... there must be alot of JUNK MMA gyms opening up jesus christ.

Name some of these people then. Yes you can lower the chance but if you have a long fighting career it's still likely to happen.
I know alot of people with 20 amateur fights or more and no broken noses. Yeah they happen, but not as near as likely as you are saying. You must be refering to mma fighters who try to get in the ring with "serious boxers" and get there nose broken.

And the other people talking down on equipment, headgear is part of the game. Its a saftey percuation, but its worth it. Lace up some 16 oz gloves and get a headgear, and bang out. Even with the gear its alot more realistic, and fight specific then light sparring with no protective gear.

some guys are more prone to nosebleeds and some are not. some have heavy hands even in sparring while some doesn't have as well. also, it can take just one lucky shot to hit the nose perfectly and cause it to bleed.

i'm 155 lbs and trains and spar with 16 oz gloves. Whenever i do spar, we always have the essentials such as 16oz gloves, head gear, mouth guard and groin guard for protection. But, sometimes, you hit him and time it perfectly that the nosebleeds sometimes happen. just this week, i was sparring with someone and while he was going to my body, i timed a counter hook to the head perfectly and hit his nose causing a nose bleed. It's not a first for me so, it does happen. though, i haven't had a nose bleed.

but, if you intend to spar with 8oz without head gear, i guess nosebleeds is the least of your worries. so many things can happen badly with incorrect gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back