Nosebleeds While Sparring

frank1983

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a former wrestler who started taking MMA classes, and I'm getting a little worried about my nose. The past few times I've gone in, I've ended up with a bloody, sore nose. Obviously, my defense needs to improve, but I am sparring with people who have a lot more experience than me. My big concern is... is it a matter of time before it breaks? People know I'm new, so I'm not getting hit hard, but even a good jab in those mma gloves fucks my nose up, and I don't have health insurance (I do have a mom who's a nurse who lives about an hour away). Is it just pain that I need to get over? How likely is it that sparring is going to break my nose?

Windy_Face_Saver_Headgear_WHGR4.jpg

It will break.

You havent been sparring enough if youve been striking for a while and never had a broken nose.

BUT, wear headgear (if youre a pussy, but a pussy with a straight nose is better than a hardass witha Wandy), and most of all, tell your training partners to take it easy if youre relatively new. Sounds like theyre being douches if theyre drawing blood.

And if youre coming from a wrestling background and youre taking this seriously, do yourself a favor and enroll in a good striking gym.

"MMA Striking" is god awful

I would question why you are sparring with MMA gloves... especially as a beginner. That to me sends up a big red flag.

"Standard" for sparring is 16 oz boxing gloves, having anyone that isn't training up to a fight doing any sparring in MMA gloves is unnecessary and dangerous.

When you start sparring your nose will bleed from the slightest hit. After some time it'll stop bleeding unless you brake it.

I had the same problem when I started boxing and it was like that for me. In the begging bleed all the time, then it stops

BUT, wear headgear (if youre a pussy, but a pussy with a straight nose is better than a hardass witha Wandy), and most of all, tell your training partners to take it easy if youre relatively new. Sounds like theyre being douches if theyre drawing blood.

I would question why you are sparring with MMA gloves... especially as a beginner. That to me sends up a big red flag.

^ Agree with that.

:icon_chee

Maybe i'm just a pussy, but if I was a noob and my sparring partners repeatedly gave me a bloody nose I'd GTFO and find a new gym.

"Standard" for sparring is 16 oz boxing gloves, having anyone that isn't training up to a fight doing any sparring in MMA gloves is unnecessary and dangerous.

I thought sparring in mma gloves was a little intense for someone who's been in the striking class for 2 weeks, but I didn't want to be the one guy in the class who says "uhhhh...". But I dunno, I'm not looking to compete in mma, just looking for a workout that's more fun than lifting weights, maybe a little self-defense. I'm walking around with a sore nose, two black eyes, and bruises all along my forehead, maybe I am a pussy...

I thought sparring in mma gloves was a little intense for someone who's been in the striking class for 2 weeks, but I didn't want to be the one guy in the class who says "uhhhh...". But I dunno, I'm not looking to compete in mma, just looking for a workout that's more fun than lifting weights, maybe a little self-defense. I'm walking around with a sore nose, two black eyes, and bruises all along my forehead, maybe I am a pussy...

Dude, if you've got two black eyes, find a gym. If hits like that are happening on a regular basis, imagine how bad it's gonna be when someone makes a serious mistake.

when u put it like that....you're NOT a pussy.

A pussy (to me) is a guy who says he wants to fight but cant hack it when the going gets tough.

Oh yea....find another gym.

I'm a former wrestler who started taking MMA classes, and I'm getting a little worried about my nose. The past few times I've gone in, I've ended up with a bloody, sore nose. Obviously, my defense needs to improve, but I am sparring with people who have a lot more experience than me. My big concern is... is it a matter of time before it breaks? People know I'm new, so I'm not getting hit hard, but even a good jab in those mma gloves fucks my nose up, and I don't have health insurance (I do have a mom who's a nurse who lives about an hour away). Is it just pain that I need to get over? How likely is it that sparring is going to break my nose?

Like everyone says.. maybe find another gym.

Do you use headgear for sparring? I've broken my nose twice, so I'm cautious when it comes to my nose. It doesn't bleed often but I've managed to get 2 different fractures that did not really change the shape of my nose, I don't want to chance a 3rd that'll make me look like Rich Franklin. Best way to protect your nose, is to not get hit in it. I realize you're a beginner, but try to practice your head movement and defense. Also I know that when I have an important meeting coming up, I usually use a lot of vaseline on my face (we don't use headgear at my gym). Helps keep the bruising to a minimum. If you're using headgear, there's nothing wrong with dabbing some vaseline on it as well.

Like others said if you keep training, one day it will break. One day you will get your ribs cracked, one day you will bust your foot on somones elbow, one day you will get cut from a headbut.

All these things to look foward too.

Ummm.. if you aren't doing this to compete, then why are you even getting hit the way you are? There's lightsparring and then there's sparring. As new as you are, they should be doing light sparring with you.

Ummm.. if you aren't doing this to compete, then why are you even getting hit the way you are? There's lightsparring and then there's sparring. As new as you are, they should be doing light sparring with you.

Honestly, I don't know, it's just what the class was doing. I'm going to talk to the instructor this week and see what he recommends.

It will break.

You havent been sparring enough if youve been striking for a while and never had a broken nose.

Not necessarily. I've gone over two decades fighting and have yet to receive a broken nose. I think the crux of the matter is that this guy is LEARNING to spar with 4 oz gloves in a gym where guys are being coached by someone who doesn't know how to do so without hurting his guys.

There is an underlying mentality in some gyms that broken noses, cauliflower ears, cracked ribs, and the like are indicative to a "good" gym that focuses on fighting; when in reality its just a gym that doesn't train properly. Your above statement is proof in the pudding.

BUT, wear headgear (if youre a pussy, but a pussy with a straight nose is better than a hardass witha Wandy)...

More misinformation. Headgear is worn by amateur boxers and many other fighters...who I'm sure you wouldn't be calling pussies to their faces. Even pro-boxers still wear them on occasion for sparring. Head gear doesn't really diminish force as much as it does diminishing the likely hood of cuts, bruises, or micro-fractures in choice spots.

I personally don't wear hear gear because I'd rather have my visibility, but if I'm getting jacked a lot on a particular day, I would consider it. It's just intelligent if you're looking to keep your body in shape for continued training.

You can't fight if you're constantly getting hurt during training.

And if youre coming from a wrestling background and youre taking this seriously, do yourself a favor and enroll in a good striking gym.

I'd agree with that.

My coach didn't let me spar more than just body for the first couple of times because he knows that I'm going amateur first anyway. It really is a benefit sparring a couple of times just body before getting clocked in the nose.

no way. something is wrong.

tyson broke his nose the first time he sparred. needless to say it wasn't right as he was a beginner even if he had trained for weeks before that.

that's bullshit. I just started boxing three weeks ago and the teacher is very protective and he takes necessary precautions to let everyone know it's light sparring (50%). if two dudes are going hard he tells them to stop because they might hurt each other. we are all beginners in the group (less than 5 months experience).

no way. something is wrong.

tyson broke his nose the first time he sparred. needless to say it wasn't right as he was a beginner even if he had trained for weeks before that.

that's bullshit. I just started boxing three weeks ago and the teacher is very protective and he takes necessary precautions to let everyone know it's light sparring (50%). if two dudes are going hard he tells them to stop because they might hurt each other. we are all beginners in the group (less than 5 months experience).

Your log in name made my day

Back