Noob Question: Counter / Sweep to standing in closed guard?

Will_N.O.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I will ask my instructor. But there are only so many questions I can ask in one class and I'm trying to focus on basic guard passes first.

BUT...

Sparring last night, one of other other white belts kept standing up in my closed guard and stacked me up and passed a couple of times because I didn't know the counter.

I'm pretty sure standing up in closed guard must have some serious counters / sweeps because I never see the higher belts do that and it seems like not a great base. I had some ideas at the time, but as a beginner I don't like to just take wild guesses without at least a basic clue on the proper technique while sparring because I don't want to injure a training partner by trying something stupid.

Any suggestions on what are high percentage counter / sweep options from this position?

You can stand up in closed guard, but you need to control his arm(s) while getting up, and when standing your knees should be directly behind his butt so you can lean back without giving him a foot to hook.

And yeah, hooking the foot with your arm to trip him would be a counter.

as soon as they stand up cup the back of their ankles with your hands. Pull on the ankles and raise your hips at the same time.. you should sweep and end up in mount.. granted this wont work against higher belts, unless u catch them off guard...

as soon as he starts to stnd you should transition to feet in his hips ... then do as some of the others said .. grabbing his ankles for an easy sweep .

Usually when your opponent (opp) is going to stand up in your guard...he will straighten out one arm on your chest or throat and the other on your hip.

Let's say he puts his left hand on your chest and his right hand is on your hip;

First grab his wrist (of the hand that is on your chest) with your opposite hand! So his left hand is on your chest so your left hand reaches across and grabs the wrist.

Now he is going to step up with his left foot first (or whichever is the same side of the hand that is on your chest) so as he steps his foot up you want to push on his knee with your right hand.

As he stands up you want to open your own legs before he has a chance to open your legs. So as he stand put your right foot on his hip (at this point your hand stops pushing on his knee and holds the back of his heel) So now you are holding the back of his heel with your right hand, your right foot is on his hip pushing him away, and your left hand is still holding onto his wrist.

Then drop your left leg to the floor between his legs...then simultaneously push on his hip as your hook his heel with your left foot.

Neither one of his feet can move bc you hooked one of them with your foot and the other with your hand and your push him back on his ass by driving his hip away with your other foot.

As he falls you hold onto his wrist bc that helps you sit up as he falls back. As you sit up pass your left knee across and pass to the opposite side.

I hope that makes some kinda sense to you....the point is that you have to open your own legs beforeeeee your opp opens them for you.

when the guy is noob you can do this
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcmfBRbi7Y

if he do that with putting arms on your chest/throat you can armbar him easliy

i always do this basic sweep , its easy and work well

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDPvk5Brpo

also if you train with gi u can transition to spider guard

The first one is what I was thinking about at the time. Would this move be on OK thing to do in medium-intensity rolling? Looks like it might do a number on your partner's tailbone, which is why I didn't do it.

The other sweep is v. cool, I may give that one a try.

Thanks!

The answer that you are looking for is the DLR guard young grasshopper.

The answer that you are looking for is the DLR guard young grasshopper.

Wow. That is exactly the position. Thanks WYAS. On first glance it seems kind of overwhelming though - a whole set of sweeps, subs and counters. Any suggestions for a basic sweep from the DLR guard to look at as a starting point?

the first sweep-video , yes its painless , if your opponent hits the mat start standing quickly or he will jump again to your guard.If he know that move and keep his balance and if you still holding 2 heels move your legs to his hip- push it backward with your legs and move your hands towards you....but like i said before it works only for beginners if your opponent have left foot away from you and you can hold his right heel do the transition to second sweep that i posted before.Holding his left hand isnt necessery but if you can do it.

the first sweep-video , yes its painless , if your opponent hits the mat start standing quickly or he will jump again to your guard.If he know that move and keep his balance and if you still holding 2 heels move your legs to his hip- push it backward with your legs and move your hands towards you....but like i said before it works only for beginners if your opponent have left foot away from you and you can hold his right heel do the transition to second sweep that i posted before.Holding his left hand isnt necessery but if you can do it.

Thanks GosuGame and all the others who to the time to respond. Man this forum rocks. It's hard to believe it's on the same site as the Heavyweights.

hook his ankle(s) as said and sweep or look for arm bar or omaplata. this used to happen to me all the time and the pressure of them stacking me would open my guard like a can opener, if that is happening to you make sure you swivel your hips so there is no pressure on your neck

some times you can hook one there legs and swing an omoplata in if you can control of there arms.

Wow. That is exactly the position. Thanks WYAS. On first glance it seems kind of overwhelming though - a whole set of sweeps, subs and counters. Any suggestions for a basic sweep from the DLR guard to look at as a starting point?

Use this as a sweep, forget about the leg lock, you'll never get it, very low percentage. But I use this sweep all the time.

Two points for the sweep, now try to pass half guard. :icon_chee

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KMtZL-tg5ZE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KMtZL-tg5ZE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm only doing no gi.

But it's hard to counter if it's well done and dont give your feets to a good catch werstler, he will do some nasty thing to your heels or knees.

But like some other dudes pointed out, the first thing he have to do is to free is head and hand. Normaly he will put pressure on your stomac or on your biceps,posture-up then he will stand.

At your level, i think the most basics thing to do, is simply keep control of his head and/or arm and you will be ok.

If you can get the dvd's of Barnett : attacking the guard, you will have some precious infos/tricks in it that can help you

Back