Noob Question about the Clean

Forgottoduck

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've quite recently started training the C+J and the Snatch and I've found with the clean I tend to catch it quite high and ride the squat down. I think this may be due to the fact that I'm pulling the bar too high so it doesn't really feel right dropping into a full squat to catch it.

Is there a general rule of thumb for how high you pull the bar on a clean?

I'd ask my coach but I'm away from the gym for 2 more weeks.

Cheers

UPDATED to add the slowest hang clean of all time

Last edited:
If you are catching high then A) you dont need to "ride the squat down" afterwards and B) the weight is most likely quite light.

As you lift heavier you will no longer be able to pull the weight high enough that you can catch it without performing "the catch" I.E a really quick deep squat. You should always pull as high and powerful as you can, but im guessing a simple increase in weight would force you to get underneath the bar in the catch.

A video would help. Work on getting under the bar. Don't power clean it and then squat down. Think of pulling yourself under the bar.

If you're doing a good job getting under the bar quickly (which you probably aren't yet at this point), the rule of thumb is you need to pull a clean to belly-button height, and a snatch to nipple height. Ideally you'll catch the bar right at its highest point...check out this video of apti aukhadov and notice how little the bar falls from its highest point to when he catches it, maybe an inch or two at most.

Last edited:
Bro i think theres alot of things that can make you catch high, which could be really hard to determine over a forum. Not to mention, every coach/country/etc have different techniques on the clean. With that being said, ive read some tips from coaches on the internet and what helped me was John Broz tip. He said that to transition from power (which i assume you can do) to full, is to just RIDE the squat AFTER you catch it. He claims that pretty soon youll put the two and two together and youll clean in no time. I didnt believe it at first but it worked on me.

I'm a noob myself, but I think this is a common issue with either the oly lifts. Focus on getting under the bar quickly. Hang cleans really helped me with this.

I'm a noob at oly lifts. From the wording it sounds like you are actively pulling the bar after the triple extension, which may put yourself out of position to dive under the bar.

Work on driving your elbows forward and catching in the rack position. Once you can catch the rack position, you should be able to work on catching in a lower position.

I'm a noob at oly lifts. From the wording it sounds like you are actively pulling the bar after the triple extension, which may put yourself out of position to dive under the bar.

Work on driving your elbows forward and catching in the rack position. Once you can catch the rack position, you should be able to work on catching in a lower position.

Dude, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Your supposed to actively pull the bar through the whole lift, actively pulling yourself below the bar until you snap it either overhead in the snatch or on your shoulders in the clean.

OP, it just takes time to get used to it. Continue cleaning and squatting and eventually you will pull it together and figure out the timing and positioning. Make sure to keep the bar close to your body when finishing the pull so it can land in the right position. It just takes time, patience, and practice.

Dude, that's exactly what you're supposed to do. Your supposed to actively pull the bar through the whole lift, actively pulling yourself below the bar until you snap it either overhead in the snatch or on your shoulders in the
Maybe I'm wording it wrong. But what I'm suggesting is that he is most likely still pulling up on the bar leaving his body extended to long before gravity pulls the bar to the ground, instead of pulling/driving himself underneath it (i have this issue with snatches).. I also think its a catch in rack issue. A video may be better to critique than a play of words.

Your supposed to actively pull the bar through the whole lift, actively pulling yourself below the bar until you snap it either overhead in the snatch or on your shoulders in the clean.

This is correct.

pulling up on the bar leaving his body extended to long before gravity pulls the bar to the ground, instead of pulling/driving himself underneath it (i have this issue with snatches)..

This also correct.

A video may be better to critique

This most above all is correct.

OP, it just takes time to get used to it. Continue cleaning and squatting and eventually you will pull it together and figure out the timing and positioning. Make sure to keep the bar close to your body when finishing the pull so it can land in the right position. It just takes time, patience, and practice.

I agree with this. You just need to fuck with it.. A LOT. It's not one of those, "make this small technical adjustment" things. You just need to clean as frequently as possible. Video tape yourself.. then watch how elite Olympians do it.. then think of what you're not doing that they are doing and try to improve upon it. That's the beauty of the Oly lifts.. it's not just grunt work.. it's poetry in motion. I've made some pretty solid improvements on my technique over the past ~9 months and I still suck dick at it. It's part of the fun.

In for the dick sucking!

Maybe I'm wording it wrong. But what I'm suggesting is that he is most likely still pulling up on the bar leaving his body extended to long before gravity pulls the bar to the ground, instead of pulling/driving himself underneath it (i have this issue with snatches).. I also think its a catch in rack issue. A video may be better to critique than a play of words.

Okay, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I see where you're coming from. Staying extended for too long is a common problem. That said, we don't want him shorting his pull either (another common problem that people often do as a reaction to trying to fix the extension problem). Hitting the right balance is tough, and all part of the struggle.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to get a video up by the weekend.

Cheers all!

Is that like a triple extension style of cleaning? I do it way different and prefer the "bang it off the thigh" method. I personally can't spot any flaws there. Definitely seems like you're on the right track.

Is that like a triple extension style of cleaning? I do it way different and prefer the "bang it off the thigh" method. I personally can't spot any flaws there. Definitely seems like you're on the right track.

Cheers for having a look.

I'm not really sure on the method tbh, it was the way I was taught in a coaching seminar, so I've just been trying to stick to that.

Back